Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
thank god i didnt go for the macbook pro, now i hope they dont hire LG to supply display panels for the ipads and iphones.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I remember having IR problems with my old iMac and being told by apple "too bad." I'm looking at a refurbished pro and am worried this will just happen again.

Billywiz1307

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Knutsford, UK
How's the mantra go, oh yeah, "Apple, it just works' ha ha ha ha ha

I am in the market for a MBP but there's no way I'm prepared to pay big bucks to play Russian Roulette, especially when Apple dodge the bullets.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I remember having IR problems with my old iMac and being told by apple "too bad." I'm looking at a refurbished pro and am worried this will just happen again.

They used to frequently show up in imacs due to a design failure on Apple's part. I call it a design failure because it was nowhere near as prevalent on other displays of that era in spite of LG still being used on the vast majority of them. They also went kind of purple around the edges, especially toward the top. It wasn't entirely exclusive to Apple, but I saw a lot of it.

Uzzi95

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
Duration of the Screen Replacement

How long does the screen replacement take. I am currently having this issue on my Retina Macbook Pro 15" :apple:

sailfishx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Still ghosting issues with the new Macbook Pros (>Oct. 22. 2013)?

Anyone knows if the new Macbook Pros, launched on October 22. 2013, still have the dual screen manufacturer situation?
Does the LG screens still have the ghosting issue?

Would be really nice to get som support on this, as I have ordered a new Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.6GHz and feel quite nervous about the possibility that I may get a "bad" screen... :(

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Anyone knows if the new Macbook Pros, launched on October 22. 2013, still have the dual screen manufacturer situation?
Does the LG screens still have the ghosting issue?

Would be really nice to get som support on this, as I have ordered a new Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.6GHz and feel quite nervous about the possibility that I may get a "bad" screen... :(

They are still using LG and Samsung screens, but havent seen ghosting reports on the new ones with LG screens yet. If your new 15 has the dGPU you can know the screen manufacturer, but if you order the one without dGPU you won't know as the command does not work

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Oh FFS, that article is referring to the fact that all IPS displays have this issue. If you leave something constant on the Samsung display for a long time it'll have image persistence too.

No you will not.
I use HP IPS screens and got the Hi res mbp. For certain tasks the screen stays still and on for 40-50 minutes few times per day. Not a smallest ghosting issue EVER.

If you do not know the facts you should not post.
Makes you a total ignorant.

If you can live with some subpar product you paid premium for then good for you. Im not that dumb.

sailfishx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
They are still using LG and Samsung screens, but havent seen ghosting reports on the new ones with LG screens yet. If your new 15 has the dGPU you can know the screen manufacturer, but if you order the one without dGPU you won't know as the command does not work
I chose the version with the dGPU:)
1. Is it the same command on the new Retina Macbook Pros, as the old (ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6), to check what screen you have?
2. What should I do if I discover that I have the LG screen?
3. How long does it usually take before any image ghosting takes place?
4. Any test I can do, like opening a picture and let it stay static for some time, to check if my screen has any ghosting issues?

sailfishx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Ok, I have received my new macbook pro Retina 15.4" Late-2013 and unfortunately I got the LG-version;
"Color LCD
LP154WT1-SJE1
DCN3383050KFF0NBP". :(

Luckily, since I bought it in my home country, Norway, I have 5 years of consumer protection, by law. That means that the warranty (offer made by the manufacturer) is the same (one or two years with Apple?), but after this I can still demand the retailer to fix my laptop for free, for 2-3 more years (consumer protection).

If there will be any problems with ghosting, will it appear within 5 years?

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
I remember having to fight to get rid of a PEE Yellow screen on my first 15" MBP.

This always sucked. It's like rolling a dice. I rememeber buying an iMac and praying that i get a better LCD panel, because there was one better PVA and another TN panel.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Lol...

Don't worry, it's just a Mavericks issue :p

Why would Apple wanna trick the customer into buying a LG display ? They can think for themselves.

I assume people have tried external displays to see.

All those posts could be due to the fact no-one tested it with external. Probably not true, but i don't see that wouldn't be possible too.

I have the same on my 2012 too but only after upgrading to to Mavericks on restart/shutdown...... I should take it back for a replacement :p

Seems these same sorta issues weather it be display Or Wi-FI, only affect the new models, even though Apple's being using LG for ages.

While this isn't the first time (and probably not the last either), the manufacture should wise up, They don't a good enough job of testing and not enough stringent testing, as this seems all too common, with Apple.

Although, it IS only Apple we hear about here with defective displays. Ummm..

Last edited:

sailfishx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Lol...

Why would Apple wanna trick the customer into buying a LG display ? They can think for themselves.

All those posts could be due to the fact no-one tested it with external. Probably not true, but i don't see that wouldn't be possible too.

I have the same on my 2012 too but only after upgrading to to Mavericks on restart/shutdown...... I should take it back for a replacement :p

Seems these same sorta issues weather it be display Or Wi-FI, only affect the new models, even though Apple's being using LG for ages.

While this isn't the first time (and probably not the last either), the manufacture should wise up, They don't a good enough job of testing and not enough stringent testing, as this seems all too common, with Apple.

What is a Mavericks issue?

As I have understood it, the reason why Apple is using screens from both Samsung and LG is because they are trying to phase out the Samsung screens.

Apparently, the relationship between Apple and Samsung have gone from great co-operation to bitter enemies. From what I read around the internet, Apple is rather fond of suing any other company that produces products that serve the same purposes, and/or look similar, as their own. For example when Apple sued Samsung, because they meant that they had copied the iPhone and iPad with their Galaxy phone and tablet.

The problem with the phasing out of Samsung screens have simply been that LG has produced a far inferior product. :(

Why would an external screen have any relevance or impact whether or not the MBP laptop screen suffers from ghosting?

Do you have ghosting only at restart and shut down?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Ok, I have received my new macbook pro Retina 15.4" Late-2013 and unfortunately I got the LG-version;
"Color LCD
LP154WT1-SJE1
DCN3383050KFF0NBP". :(

Luckily, since I bought it in my home country, Norway, I have 5 years of consumer protection, by law. That means that the warranty (offer made by the manufacturer) is the same (one or two years with Apple?), but after this I can still demand the retailer to fix my laptop for free, for 2-3 more years (consumer protection).

If there will be any problems with ghosting, will it appear within 5 years?

All retinas that suffered from ghosting did so in the first few months (and we don't know about longer periods since retina has been out for good year not more).

As far as I know the only retinas that really suffered were the first few months production models, and later a lemon every now and then.

Frankly, i wouldn't worry.

you can check yourself:
http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

Lol...

Its a hardware issue. Ghosting is a hardware issue. With the display, not GPU.

because other laptop manufacturers have such god awful screens they look broken from the box. no but really, you're on an apple forum, what do you expect, discussions about samsung laptops?

What is a Mavericks issue?

As I have understood it, the reason why Apple is using screens from both Samsung and LG is because they are trying to phase out the Samsung screens.

Apparently, the relationship between Apple and Samsung have gone from great co-operation to bitter enemies. From what I read around the internet, Apple is rather fond of suing any other company that produces products that serve the same purposes, and/or look similar, as their own. For example when Apple sued Samsung, because they meant that they had copied the iPhone and iPad with their Galaxy phone and tablet.

The problem with the phasing out of Samsung screens have simply been that LG has produced a far inferior product. :(

Why would an external screen have any relevance or impact whether or not the MBP laptop screen suffers from ghosting?

Do you have ghosting only at restart and shut down?

I don't know if they're trying to sever links with Samsung since Apple A7 (latest iPhones 5S/iPad Air/iPad Retina) is produced by Samsung. They just have two manufacturers to meet the high demand and slow production rate of hi dpi displays.

What they do in public/marketing is another story, but it makes no difference that they like each other. Samsung sells boatload hardware to Apple and Apple needs that because Samsung has respectably high QC.

as for the last two questions: irrelevant.

sailfishx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
All retinas that suffered from ghosting did so in the first few months (and we don't know about longer periods since retina has been out for good year not more).

As far as I know the only retinas that really suffered were the first few months production models, and later a lemon every now and then.

Frankly, i wouldn't worry.

you can check yourself:
http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

Hi!

I feel much more reassured, thanks :)

I'll do the image retention test tonight.
Thanks, for the link!

Even if ghosting would become an issue, as long as it happens within the first 5 years, then I'm good :)

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Hi!

I feel much more reassured, thanks :)

I'll do the image retention test tonight.
Thanks, for the link!

Even if ghosting would become an issue, as long as it happens within the first 5 years, then I'm good :)

No problem. There are a lot of misconceptions around ghosting and screen quality with the Retina series, and most stem from the first few production months. That said, I did do the retention test the first thing when I picked mine up :)

By the time your laptop is 5 years old you'll probably want to replace it for other reasons anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.