Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
Just picked up an iPad Mini 64GB LTE-Verizon model at the Apple Store today.

I just attached the Smart Cover for the first time and I've noticed that it doesn't stay flat on the iPad Mini surface. It seems the section closest to the hinge always wants to prop upwards.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue. I plan on leaving it attached to the iPad Mini, but having it sit upside down on my night stand. Hopefully that will even it out.

See picture for reference.

Attachments

• ipad mini smart cover.JPG
    ipad mini smart cover.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 363

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
ok, it's good to know i'm not the only one.

i don't remember the regular iPad smart cover doing this though. perhaps there isn't enough weight of the material (due to the smaller size) to suppress the inherent stiffness of the polyurethane

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I found that the edge of my smart cover opposite the hinge was really stiff. This meant that when I'd pick up my iPad mini my hand would push on the stiff edge and that would move the smart cover and often make it pop up. I ran my finger up and down that edge a few times to soften up the material and that seemed to solve the problem.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Mine wasn't staying flat at first, but now it does. Typically I am not just looking at the iPad when I have the cover closed, so it was a none issue.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
Just brought my Smart Cover a few hours ago and I have the same problem. If I can't get it to lay flat tonight I'll have to return it. I live 300+ miles away from the Apple store where I brought it, and I'm traveling home tomorrow evening.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I posted this same issue the day the iPad came out, and was told I didn't know what I was talking about, and yet now there are tons of threads about the issue. Oye.

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Mine does that. to flatten it, with the cover closed, I press down on the cover with my thumb and press a little to the right. The cover will slip just a tad to the right and it will then be flat. It's like the spine magnets are too far down the left edge of the ipad. Scooting it to the right raises the magnets up a bit.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
I had the exact same problem - but it resolves itself, quickly. Just give it a little time and it will flatten out.

soundtracker

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
I'll add to the list of what everyone else is saying. At first it really bugged me, but laying it on the smart cover flat overnight, it seemed to resolve itself quickly.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I was one of the early posters that said MINE was not messed up, as some have posted. Simply place it in the sun for a day and it's as flat as I need it to be....A friend just put his on a cookie sheet for about an hour at low in the oven and his went flat too...If you don't like it, return it, apple will survive.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
ok it's been 3 days (and 3 nights of leaving it upside down on the smart cover) - still seems to be warped. hmm. i'll take it to the apple store and see what they say

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I noticed that with mine in the beginning too. Just checked it having it for a week, it hasn't gone down.

I am returning my smart cover tomorrow though, just don't feel it's worth 45 dollars. Just bought a 10 dollar case that has a smart cover flap. works as well as the Apple smart cover, but 35 dollars cheaper and a full case around the Mini.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
I noticed that with mine in the beginning too. Just checked it having it for a week, it hasn't gone down.

I am returning my smart cover tomorrow though, just don't feel it's worth 45 dollars. Just bought a 10 dollar case that has a smart cover flap. works as well as the Apple smart cover, but 35 dollars cheaper and a full case around the Mini.

give us a link, b/c i'm eager to see what else is out there

this mini smart cover sucks.

it still isn't staying flat!

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
Solved the issues. As others have said, just run your finger along it a few times or lay something on top of it and it flattens down. Did that a few times and now mine never pops up anymore.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Mine stays up all the time - it's really rigid. My wife likes it that way, however.

If you keep on rubbing it, it won't stay down, best is to use some water and wet it so it will become limp again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.