Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
I came across this presentation on Youtube. I found it to be very informative, providing details I never consider. I am posting it for your consumption if you care watch.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have we not been down this road several dozens of times, coming to the conclusion, that it is not what it is all about?
So what, if Apple did not invent anything, does that mean using existing technology to create new devices and paradigms is not worth it?

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Yeah, not watching.

Apple creates consumer devices in a nice package.

However, when it comes to hardware and standards, they don't develop anything.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
snore.gif

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
90 seconds elevator speech or am outta here.

I don't care who invented it, I only care who bring it to the marketplace in a form that's truly usable, that's who I give my $$ to.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's a trick question :)

Companies don't invent anything; people do.

Companies provide facilities and marketing, they rake in the revenue and their CEOs take the credit, but it's a relative handful of engineers and developers who do all the inventive and design work.

It's often the same group of people over decades, too. Many went from Xerox or HP or IBM, to Apple and Commodore, some to NeXT, back again to Apple, then some over to Palm and Microsoft and Google.

Those are the people who should be getting more publicity, IMO.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If we want to get technical no one invented anything since pretty much every invention has been derived off of another at some point in time. Ignoring that....

Did Apple invent anything? Yes.

They brought a home computer with a GUI interface to the masses.

They created a fantastic, easy to use music player (ever use pre-iPod mp3 players? I did. Not pretty).

They created the iMac, the Mac Pro, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, and Macbook. Are they computers? Yes, but Apple created them.

They created Mac OS, the iPhone (ever use a pre-iPhone smartphone? Garbage, all of them (which was mostly Blackberries).

They created the "usable" tablet industry in the form factor you see the iPad in.

They created a working system of digital content delivery. Like or hate iTunes, it was revolutionary and ended DRM on music.

Why people constantly try and downplay Apple's achievements is beyond me. Its a very revolutionary company who continues to make revolutionary products. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Most thing are innovated, rather than invented, especially when it comes to computers and computer devices. Computers were invented many many years ago. Apple is a manufacturer and innovator, just like most computer and device companies.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Claiming apple never invented anything is akin to claiming that say, whoevever invented the digital watch never invented anything because electronic circuits had already been invented.

Or that whoever invented the gas furnace didn't invent anything because the camp fire was already invented.

If you go back far enough ALL invention borrows from and builds on previous invention.

Apple take existing technology, re-package, streamline, and repurpose it, and invent new things with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.