Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katiesoccer11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Hi, new to this forum.

Just purchased new macbook yesterday and it is incredibly slow. I have had a macbook in past years back and it WAS AMAZING!!!! super fast and could run countless programs. It was the most basic macbook in 2007.

This is what I currently have: Macbook. Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. OSX Version 10.8.

Basically, i haven't downloaded anything yet. Go to download flash and it hs taken over an hour.. that's insane! Nothing wrong with wireless, tried at 3 different wireless. Used my macbook next to an ancient PC. PC runs faster.

Also, for MAIL app. It's insanely slow. Creating new folders, receiving mail (changed settings to check for new mail every minute), loading mail once it's been received, sending mail.

Can anyone help? Is this because the type of macbook I bought? If so, should I go back and exchange for a better model? I am just completely surprised as this macbook has more memory and better processor than my old macbook.

Thank you for your help

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hi, new to this forum.

Just purchased new macbook yesterday and it is incredibly slow. I have had a macbook in past years back and it WAS AMAZING!!!! super fast and could run countless programs. It was the most basic macbook in 2007.

This is what I currently have: Macbook. Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. OSX Version 10.8.

Basically, i haven't downloaded anything yet. Go to download flash and it hs taken over an hour.. that's insane! Nothing wrong with wireless, tried at 3 different wireless. Used my macbook next to an ancient PC. PC runs faster.

Also, for MAIL app. It's insanely slow. Creating new folders, receiving mail (changed settings to check for new mail every minute), loading mail once it's been received, sending mail.

Can anyone help? Is this because the type of macbook I bought? If so, should I go back and exchange for a better model? I am just completely surprised as this macbook has more memory and better processor than my old macbook.

Thank you for your help

First of all welcome! :)

Something might be taking up a lot of memory... Try rebooting and opening a couple programs and do some basic tasks on your Mac, then open up the activity Moniter app (in the utilities folder) and click the memory tab. Take a screenshot (cmd shift 3) of that and post it so we can see what's taking up the memory. If it looks normal but your Mac is still running slow, I would recommend taking it back to the apple store and getting a genius to look at it.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
It's possible Spotlight is still indexing in the background, especially if it was not allowed to complete or was otherwise interrupted. The indexing could be eating up part of your processing power.

What doesn't make sense is that it took an hour to download Flash Player, it can't be more than 16-17 MB...

Are you sure it is 10.8? I find it hard to believe it doesn't have 10.8.1 or 10.8.2, but if it truly isn't, you may want to consider updating your Mac, and installing all of the updates until no more updates are listed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.