Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sagna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
i just buying ipod touch 5g and im wondering can i charge it without computer? or it should be with computer? ?:confused:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i just buying ipod touch 5g and im wondering can i charge it without computer? or it should be with computer? ?:confused:

It can be charged: 1) by plugging it into the computer;

2) by sitting it in a docking station which is plugged into an electrical outlet (the sort of station where one places the iPod if one wants to play the music on it to an audience. I have one in my kitchen, for example).

3) by buying an adaptor (any good electrical shop will have them) and plugging it in to an outlet. I have several world adaptors, in other words, they will allow me to plug an iPod into an electrical socket anywhere in the world.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
remember the days when you bought an ipod it came with the dock, case, and an AC power charger...

Anyways you can charger it via the USB cable or you can buy a power adapter.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
OP is not trolling, I would also be a little surprised if a gadget at $299 didn't come with either an earphone with mic and control or a $20 adaptor.

eross

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
I bought a generic wall charger on ebay that works fine with iphone 4 , but does not charge the ipod touch 5G. It is branded as 5v 1A output. My iphone 4 original charger (also 5v 1A) does charge the new ipod, as does a generic 2.1A iPad charger.
I'm a bit conused: It's not the output or the "original apple" property. Why does'nt it charge?
Thanks

Last edited:

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
remember the days when you bought an ipod it came with the dock, case, and an AC power charger...

Anyways you can charger it via the USB cable or you can buy a power adapter.

The iPod Touch never included a power adapter. USB power bricks and USB ports are so ubiquitous now, and the iPT has no power requirements beyond a "standard" USB port anyway (as opposed to the iPad), I don't see the need for including one. Just more e-waste, and you can pick one up for peanuts just about anywhere if you really need one.

@eross - the iPT does not need anything more than 500mA, so it should work fine. Could be a dodgy adapter?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I bought a generic wall charger on ebay that works fine with iphone 4 , but does not charge the ipod touch 5G. It is branded as 5v 1A output. My iphone 4 original charger (also 5v 1A) does charge the new ipod, as does a generic 2.1A iPad charger.
I'm a bit conused: It's not the output or the "original apple" property. Why does'nt it charge?
Thanks

I assume you are using the lightning cable that apple provided.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
The iPod Touch never included a power adapter. USB power bricks and USB ports are so ubiquitous now, and the iPT has no power requirements beyond a "standard" USB port anyway (as opposed to the iPad), I don't see the need for including one. Just more e-waste, and you can pick one up for peanuts just about anywhere if you really need one.

@eross - the iPT does not need anything more than 500mA, so it should work fine. Could be a dodgy adapter?

I wouldn't say its a waste. It might not be as necessary or can't live without but still apple should have included for someone who do not own iphone or ipad. Charging via usb can be a pain if you dont work in front of computer all day. Ipod touch owners are mostly at younger age too.

eross

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012

Well, as I stated the adapter works with my iphone 4 as well as with other 5v devices (not apple).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.