Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I apologize if this question has already been posted.

I'd like to buy Logic 9 from the Mac App Store, but considering that Logic X is, hopefully, on its way, how do you think Apple will handle the update from Logic 9 to Logic X? Will Logic 9 owners have to pay the full price to upgrade?

I know that nobody knows the answer, but maybe some of you can report to an old situation like this one.

Thanks in advance.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I think we're in unchartered waters for upgrades with Apple pro applications in the Apple App store. I suspect the cost for going from Logic 9xx to Logic X will be the full price. There could be adjustments for those that have recently purchased Logic 9 at the Apple app store but don't count on it.

It will still cost less than Digital Performer, Cubase and Protools.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I think we're in unchartered waters for upgrades with Apple pro applications in the Apple App store. I suspect the cost for going from Logic 9xx to Logic X will be the full price. There could be adjustments for those that have recently purchased Logic 9 at the Apple app store but don't count on it.

It will still cost less than Digital Performer, Cubase and Protools.

Thank you, I had the same idea.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I'm personally racing against the new release of Logic. I'm gathering funds to buy 9 before the update because 10.6.8 is the last OS I can run on this machine - the new version will surely require something newer than that.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I'm personally racing against the new release of Logic. I'm gathering funds to buy 9 before the update because 10.6.8 is the last OS I can run on this machine - the new version will surely require something newer than that.

I bet it will at least need 10.7xx. or maybe even the upcoming 10.9 which includes Siri depending on the release date.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011

I won my race, picked up Logic 9 this week. I like it a bunch so far.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's it a coincidence that there are new Mac Pros coming out the same year as Logic X :cool:

Despite all the flak the Apple Pro market gets, I am with you on this one. I think the stars are aligning for 2013 to be the year of the "pro" really.

On top of new Mac Pros this year, I think we'll get Logic Pro X, new Airport AC routers, an updated ultra thin Apple Thunderbolt Display, and possibly even more Thunderbolt solutions.

Should be a great year.

LogicRumours

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Despite all the flak the Apple Pro market gets, I am with you on this one. I think the stars are aligning for 2013 to be the year of the "pro" really.

On top of new Mac Pros this year, I think we'll get Logic Pro X, new Airport AC routers, an updated ultra thin Apple Thunderbolt Display, and possibly even more Thunderbolt solutions.

Should be a great year.

That's what we think! Very excited about 2013 for pro users

mauvehead

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
I know this may seem silly to some but I'd like for them to offer a 17" Retina Display MBP. And much bigger internal SSD options. (That being said I'm still slightly bummed at how they've ditched optical drives - as well as user upgradeable RAM - but I suppose it's the way of things...) But for remote session work using Logic the bigger 17" is really worth the extra expense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.