Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:08 AM   #1
taylord22
macrumors regular

VMWare + Windows 8 Upgrade

Hello,

I think I got overzealous and god myself stuck in a corner. I had been squeezing the last driblets of life out of an old Dell Inspiron laptop (most of my work was done on my iMac at work, or my iPad at home...it can be done).

Anyway, I bought the latest version of VMWare with the hopes of running Windows 8 in it. Only after purchasing the $50 Win 8 upgrade did I realize my mistake.

At this point, I'm looking for any solution that fits what I have, or routes I can take to get a cheap Windows install disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated...most of my wife's workflow revolves around applications that only work in Windows...
taylord22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

I don't personally have any experience with Windows 8 but apparently you can activate the Upgrade copy the same way you do with Windows 7.

Here's a tutorial - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...8-upgrade.html

The attached batch (.bat) file in that tutorial just changes "MediaBootInstall" to "0" and then runs "slmgr /rearm". This is the exact same method used for activating a Windows 7 Upgrade Clean Install.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac