Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Stuka
macrumors newbie

Prototype PowerBook G4 Titanium - Now with Photos

So I have been digging through my closet figuring out what I need to get rid of, and what I need to keep. And I came across my box of old PowerBook stuff.

Now, I used to have boxes of prototype Apple equipment. Most of it has all been sold off or given away. Used to have clear (and some yellowish clear) PowerBook housings for various models and such, along with some whole systems and so forth.

Anyway, I don't have room for any of this stuff anymore. So I am looking for a home for it! If somebody has some real interest in it, let me know. The parts basically consist of:

One PowerBook G4 Prototype. This is a mix of black plastic and titanium parts. Its a later stage prototype, and it still has the Apple dev stickers on it. It does run (or it did last time I tried), but locks up now and then.

Multiple chassis and one motherboard, and I think 1-2 small PCB's.

Two LCD's, one with Apple dev stickers.

I realize this would typically go in the for sale area, but really I rather them go to a good home. Preferably somebody that collects such items. As I really rather not throw them away.

I don't have photos just this moment, but will take some if there is interest.

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW: I am not looking to get money for it really. Its more or less free minus shipping. Just don't want to see it get thrown away!

Last edited by Stuka; Feb 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Stuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Stuka
macrumors newbie

Ok, took some quick photos. Sorry for the fuzziness. iPhone 4S + lowlight = grainy photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProtoPBG4-Open.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	325133   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProtoPBG4-Bottom.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	325134   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProtoPBG4-sticker1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	325135  

Name:	ProtoPBG4-sticker2.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	325136   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProtoPBG4-sticker3.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	325137  
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:47 PM   #3
macEfan
macrumors 65816

I'd love these if you still have them... they'd go into my collection of vintage apple gear. ( I have everything from Compact Macs to some of the later g4s)

EDIT: how can I contact you?

Last edited by macEfan; Feb 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
macEfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Stuka
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macEfan View Post
I'd love these if you still have them... they'd go into my collection of vintage apple gear. ( I have everything from Compact Macs to some of the later g4s)

EDIT: how can I contact you?
Drop me a PM and I will send you my email.

BTW: The other displays are not good. Not going to bother sending them. Both are damaged.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
DerfBWH
macrumors regular

If the above doesn't work out I'd also be very interested in this machine. I've got a couple pieces of old Apple hardware and this would fit in great.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:56 AM   #6
macEfan
macrumors 65816

OK, I sent you a PM!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

That is Amazing! Having the plastic instead of the paint one the final model would've resolved the infamous paint problem... Awesome.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Cool find; seeing picts of these things reminds me of how much I miss owning a TiBook!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:59 AM   #9
kbfr08
macrumors 6502

How about those LCDs, are they physically damaged or just broken? I have a prototype blueberry/clear LCD with bad boards, and I'm wondering if I could use your bad display as a donor.

By the way, to the new owner of this laptop, let me know if you want the schematics. I think I have the PDF, but if not, then it's just board view files which require windows to view.
kbfr08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:47 AM   #10
tomsa34
macrumors newbie

iknow you aren't looking for money but I'd gladly pay. this is just what I needed for my collection. pm me if you have it still
tomsa34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:41 PM   #11
SonnyDickson
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to SonnyDickson Send a message via MSN to SonnyDickson Send a message via Yahoo to SonnyDickson Send a message via Skype™ to SonnyDickson
Hello

Did you end up giving it away? or do you still have something?
SonnyDickson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:30 PM   #12
macalec
macrumors 6502

Do you still have this?

I am interested. Please message me back! Thanks--

Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
So I have been digging through my closet figuring out what I need to get rid of, and what I need to keep. And I came across my box of old PowerBook stuff.

Now, I used to have boxes of prototype Apple equipment. Most of it has all been sold off or given away. Used to have clear (and some yellowish clear) PowerBook housings for various models and such, along with some whole systems and so forth.

Anyway, I don't have room for any of this stuff anymore. So I am looking for a home for it! If somebody has some real interest in it, let me know. The parts basically consist of:

One PowerBook G4 Prototype. This is a mix of black plastic and titanium parts. Its a later stage prototype, and it still has the Apple dev stickers on it. It does run (or it did last time I tried), but locks up now and then.

I realize this would typically go in the for sale area, but really I rather them go to a good home. Preferably somebody that collects such items. As I really rather not throw them away.

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW: I am not looking to get money for it really. Its more or less free minus shipping. Just don't want to see it get thrown away!
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #13
ClassicII
macrumors 6502

guys this thing is long gone.....
ClassicII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Stuka
macrumors newbie

Sorry, it has already been long since spoken for.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:21 AM   #15
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Is the G4 still available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka View Post

Thanks!

I would love to have the tibook g4!
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:48 AM   #16
Cowhoon
macrumors newbie

Oh!! I would love to have one!!!!!! Please!!!!
Cowhoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:49 AM   #17
Cowhoon
macrumors newbie

Oh wait.... This is long gone.
Cowhoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:07 AM   #18
crow99
macrumors newbie

Aluminum version of this

I have a fully functional 15'' Aluminum Powerbook G4 prototype version of this. Except mine is fully functional without issue. It's got all the same type of tags that the Titanium. There are bumps and bruises... but it's an old machine that's been well used. For a 10 year old machine, it's pretty darn sturdy.
crow99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:54 AM   #19
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow99 View Post
I have a fully functional 15'' Aluminum Powerbook G4 prototype version of this. Except mine is fully functional without issue. It's got all the same type of tags that the Titanium. There are bumps and bruises... but it's an old machine that's been well used. For a 10 year old machine, it's pretty darn sturdy.
Any chance of pics?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:47 AM   #20
crow99
macrumors newbie

Aluminum Powerbook Prototype Photos

Here you go. I don't know if I'd get in trouble posting these seeing how this machine is so old, but I intentionally blurred out serial codes and certain parts just in case. It should give you enough information though to show validity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(71).JPG
Views:	32
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	402414   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(75).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	402415   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(73).JPG
Views:	27
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	402416  

Name:	pbbattery.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	402423  
crow99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:09 PM   #21
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Here you go. I don't know if I'd get in trouble posting these seeing how this machine is so old, but I intentionally blurred out serial codes and certain parts just in case. It should give you enough information though to show validity.
Very interesting. Where did you get a hold of this machine?
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:36 PM   #22
crow99
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcfanforever1 View Post
Very interesting. Where did you get a hold of this machine?
Just sharing the collection. Asking where is just asking for trouble. It is where it is.
crow99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:15 PM   #23
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Just sharing the collection. Asking where is just asking for trouble. It is where it is.
Ok fair enough answer I will assume a very sanitary trash can with pillows in it.
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors