Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10, 2013, 04:53 AM   #26
Keane16
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.damien View Post
I love this feature. It beats hands on any street view. The problem is the number of city covered...
Have to agree. I'm a big fan of Flyover.


Quote:
Originally Posted by toby00001 View Post
To people questioning the value of this feature - you've clearly never used Google Earth. Software and features like this are indispensable to professionals in my industry (architecture & urban design), which makes up more than what I would refer to as a niche in Apple's professional sector.

To people comparing this to Street View - apples and oranges...no pun intended.
You are obviously one of the smart ones on this forum. They have different use cases. If I want a detailed view, e.g. looking up a house number on the front of a building - I'll use street view. If I want to navigate a city I don't know then I'd use Flyover hands down.

Street view is detailed, but clunky to navigate. Flyover is less detailed but excellent for getting a quick overview. I'm glad on iOS we get both options.

I'll be using Flyover for just this reason on Monday in Manchester, England to see where I'm going to stand to watch the Manchester United open top bus parade.
Keane16 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 04:56 AM   #27
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsk View Post
Unbelievable that they keep working on this worthless function for no good reason what so ever. Apple must really suffer from a severe brain drain these days.

What about adding something useful for a change, how about street view, or speeding cameras, or something else USEFUL!
Worthless?

I find it fascinating. If you're on an iPad an you want to look at these city's for a lesson in school or to see the famous architecture then its amazing.

Just to go Rome for example and learn something.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 05:10 AM   #28
Oletros
macrumors 603
 
Oletros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Premià de Mar
Flyover/Google's 3D View and Street view have totally different uses and they complement each other.
__________________
There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies, statistics, and analyst projections.
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:03 AM   #29
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a
 
SBlue1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
while it surely looks nice and some people may use it i find street view way more informative. i was searching for a hotel in NYC and i was not able to check the loction in flyover cause there was allways a tall building in the way no matter what direction i looked from. street view showed me the front of the hotels and i was able to choose the one i liked most.

so yeah this looks like a gimmick like the gimmicks samsung uses in its phones.
SBlue1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:45 AM   #30
Keane16
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue1 View Post
while it surely looks nice and some people may use it i find street view way more informative. i was searching for a hotel in NYC and i was not able to check the loction in flyover cause there was allways a tall building in the way no matter what direction i looked from. street view showed me the front of the hotels and i was able to choose the one i liked most.

so yeah this looks like a gimmick like the gimmicks samsung uses in its phones.
Apart from the fact you're using 2 products with different strengths inefficiently, I just have to ask...

Who on earth picks a hotel by the way it looks on Street View?!?!
Keane16 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:26 PM   #31
iMikeT
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Nice, it's like I'm in Paris without actually being there!
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #32
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane16 View Post
Apart from the fact you're using 2 products with different strengths inefficiently, I just have to ask...

Who on earth picks a hotel by the way it looks on Street View?!?!
Maybe he was looking at the surroundings to make sure the hotel wasn't located in a shady area? And also, the front of a hotel more often than not gives a pretty good indication of whether it's worth what you're paying...
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:20 PM   #33
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a
 
Toltepeceno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Martin Toltepec, Edo MX, MX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Maybe he was looking at the surroundings to make sure the hotel wasn't located in a shady area? And also, the front of a hotel more often than not gives a pretty good indication of whether it's worth what you're paying...
We look at hotels on street view when going somewhere here in mexico for the exact same reason you stated. There are some hotels that look nice on the internet that are in very bad areas. Not everyone can afford 5 star hotels in the best locations and Not everyone goes to the typical tourist traps (like most mexican's). Street view is great for this.
__________________
Only fanboys use the word "troll".
Saludos!
Toltepeceno is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 10:35 AM   #34
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a
 
SBlue1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane16 View Post
Who on earth picks a hotel by the way it looks on Street View?!?!


I had to choose between some very cheap hotels and I wanted to check the neighborhood as well as see what the hotels looked like since they had no pictures of the buildings. And yeah one of them was in a ghetto kind of street with the building next to it having broken glass windows while the other hotels looked clean and nice and had all kind of cool cafes, bars and delis next to them. So yeah for me it was helpful.

My point was that it should be possible to hide obstacles like tall buildings or trees with a click. Would be a big improvement.
SBlue1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:11 AM   #35
Keane16
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBlue1 View Post


I had to choose between some very cheap hotels and I wanted to check the neighborhood as well as see what the hotels looked like since they had no pictures of the buildings. And yeah one of them was in a ghetto kind of street with the building next to it having broken glass windows while the other hotels looked clean and nice and had all kind of cool cafes, bars and delis next to them. So yeah for me it was helpful.

My point was that it should be possible to hide obstacles like tall buildings or trees with a click. Would be a big improvement.
Makes sense for you. My apologies if I sounded harsh.

I like the suggestion about being able to hide/see through buildings. Would be nice addition.
Keane16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 03:24 PM   #36
paulsdenton
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Barton, Vermont USA
C'est Magnifique!

This is great. All the bozo naysayers out there can kiss my derrière. It's like being right there in my second favorite city. The Place des Vosges is astounding! The Place de la Concorde looks weird without any traffic, however. To me the views I like best are the Butte Montmartre, the river, the Grand Palace area, Champs de Mars and Ecole Militaire, but I could go on and on. Love it!!
__________________
Mac Pro6,1 (late 2013), Mac Mini Mid 2011 8GB, 13" MacBook, iPhone 5S, iPad 1st Gen, iPad Mini, iPad 4th Gen
paulsdenton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #37
toby00001
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka View Post
This is not a niche feature though. It is the one thing distinguishing Apple Maps from Google Map (besides the horrendous search capabilities of the former, but that is beside the point).

@ontopic
I must admit that I would have expected the whole expansion to go a little faster than it does .. but well. I like flyover, but with the current coverages it is next to useless in my life.
I didn't suggest it was a niche feature...
toby00001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Maps Flyover Adds 3D Views of Perth, Saint-Tropez, and Cordoba MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 31 Mar 24, 2014 11:18 PM
6.1 Apple maps flyover dmcwally iOS 6 5 Jan 28, 2013 04:47 PM
iOS Maps - Flyover like in Apple advertisement? Wallace iOS 6 6 Oct 5, 2012 02:29 PM
Maps Flyover on IOS 6 for 4S Angelo921 iOS 6 5 Sep 22, 2012 10:40 AM
iOS 6 Maps with 'Flyover' 3D Hacked to Run on iPhone 4 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 99 Jun 18, 2012 12:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC