Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Would be great if people with touch 4g can test 2 sites on Safari. Please state which firmware (5.1 or 5.1.1 or 6.0 or 6.0.1). If it's crashing for everyone else, I won't bother restoring my iPod (since it is a lack of RAM issue).

With no background apps running and only 1 tab open try the Apple website, tap on the iPhone tab. Once finished loading, double tap to zoom in-should be instant crash. Also try google news desktop version.

For reference, on my touch 1st gen, its slow to load and move around the page but it does not crash. And this is with music playing in the background. 4g simply crashes immediately.

Knowing I can't restore and set up as new iPod on iTunes without it converting to 6.X, thinking of going to the reset setting on the touch and tap "Erase All Content and Settings" option. However my touch automatically downloaded 6.0 but did not install yet. So if I erase all content will it show up as 6.0 or 5.1.1?

Rad-o

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Just tried that and my ipod touch 4g ( ios 6.0 ) crashed . -.- i guess ios 6 is not for the 4th gen . When i was on ios 5.1 there were no crashes but now its always crashing :/

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Just tried that and my ipod touch 4g ( ios 6.0 ) crashed . -.- i guess ios 6 is not for the 4th gen . When i was on ios 5.1 there were no crashes but now its always crashing :/

Thank you. And yes 5.1 did not crash on me once the week I had it (since my touch came with it). After updating to 5.1.1 Safari crashes started happening. What about when you had 5.1.1? Is this when crashes started for you?

Thinking of not bothering to restore my iPod. Apple did something to 4g touch on firmware 5.1.1- probably memory leaks.

I believe Apple did not test enough on 5.1.1 compared to 5.1 version. If you think about it:

5.0-Released in Oct. 2011 with bugs and crashes on touch 4g
5.0.1-Released in Nov. 2011 only 1 month to test bugs and still many crashes
5.1-Released Mar. 2012 which is 4 months to test bugs and I believe they had beta versions for developers and finally touch 4g was smooth
5.1.1-May 2012 which means 2 months so possible another month was needed to iron out issues

I wish Apple released 5.1.2 to address problems using Safari on touch 4g.

Also Apple did not mention new features for Safari in 5.1.1 but I believe the 3 security upgrades introduced Safari crashes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5278

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hmm after further review of the security updates on 5.1.1 I believe this may be the culprit:

WebKit
Available for: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation) and later, iPad, iPad 2
Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution
Description: A memory corruption issue existed in WebKit.
CVE-ID
CVE-2012-0672 : Adam Barth and Abhishek Arya of the Google Chrome Security Team

So memory leaks may have not been completely fixed or actually introduced new ones in 5.1.1 software.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Well after testing out many of the free browser apps on the App Store, the only one that did not crash on either Apple iPhone tab or Google News desktop version was Opera.

However Opera I believe does not use Javascript to render pages. So I believe this is a problem with the handling of Javascript (not RAM) on 5.1.1 version. Again not certain if 5.1 had this problem but I don't remember it ever crashing. Besides browser crashing, 5.1.1 works decent.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Tried the sites on a iPhone 3gs and it did not crash. I wish Apple would've included 512 MB RAM (like iPhone 4) or not have retina display (like 3gs) on touch 4g. Obviously retina is nice but with only 256MB RAM it's hard to perform at a reasonable level. They also could've updated specs in Oct. 2011 instead of only a new white touch...

This is the only Apple product that is retina with only 256MB RAM. Would be great if those on iOS 5.1 (not 5.1.1) can comment and see if this crash occurs.

coolguy879

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012

That's a problem that rests on both Apple's and our shoulders. Apple should just say that the new update would significantly slow down the device, therefore they are dropping support for the said device. But if the did, then people with those devices would cause an uproar about the whole issue despite the fact that there devices would become slower than a sick, old turtle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.