Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renzatic

Suspended
Right. Nothing to worry about. Just keep feeding Google your data and hope for the best.

I'd rather be paranoid than naive.

Jesus, man. You're like a broken record playing some obnoxious kids songs.

There's being naive, and there's not caring all that much. There's being paranoid, and there's being an idiot. Where do you fall?

I'll start being paranoid the moment Google gives me a reason to be. That moment almost came during the whole smartphone tracking scenario, which Google and Apple both were guilty of. They were slapped down fairly quickly for doing something so bone headed, and things went back to relative normalcy thereafter.

I'll tell you this, though. If Google weren't in the smartphone OS business, I doubt you'd care one half of a quarter of a crap about whether they're tracking you or not.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011

There's being naive, and there's not caring all that much. There's being paranoid, and there's being an idiot. Where do you fall?

I'll start being paranoid the moment Google gives me a reason to be. That moment almost came during the whole smartphone tracking scenario, which Google and Apple both were guilty of. They were slapped down fairly quickly for doing something so bone headed, and things went back to relative normalcy thereafter.

I'll tell you this, though. If Google weren't in the smartphone OS business, I doubt you'd care one half of a quarter of a crap about whether they're tracking you or not.

probably loved all the stuff Google brought to the iPhone 1

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I swear, it's like some of you read a paragraph out of an argument book and now you all go around point out potential fallacies because you think you're all masters of logical arguments or something.

It's not a potential fallacy, you present two alternatives and give the option to chose either one, discarding the idea that there may be a whole range of other arguments in between and so on. It's pretty clear cut, but it's funny to point it out in case someone misses it for some reason. :) You do not need to be any kind of master to spot this, your alternatives are a) paranoid, b) idiot. Chose one!

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
It's not a potential fallacy, you present two alternatives and give the option to chose either one, discarding the idea that there may be a whole range of other arguments in between and so on. It's pretty clear cut, but it's funny to point it out in case someone misses it for some reason. :)

You'd be right if I those were choices I was trying to present as valid to the whole argument. Instead, I was calling him out for being overly dramatic.

So ha! :p

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Sure. Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

And who is the one being "overly dramatic" here?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: This thread is temporarily closed in order to allow cooler heads to prevail and all the off-topic bickering to be removed. Please refrain from it when it's reopened. If you need a refresher on how to discuss topics, please stop by the Rules for Appropriate Debate. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.