Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
So you're saying the people who used the life threatning apple maps are morons?

So could u use apple maps better in this case?

Umm, yes. They are as moronic as the DJs are in Australia. They almost kill themselves instead of kill an innocent nurse.

Are there signs on the road in Australia?? Can people read English?

If the answer is yes to these questions, there is a enough reason to question the map at some point and re-evaluate your route. There is no excuse to drive to the middle of the freakin outback with no 2nd thought. Then get stuck like a moron.

Apple maps suck, but you must be a moron to ignore road signs and follow your phone into oblivion. lol

:rolleyes:

ijason69

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
"In this case, the Australian Gazetteer - the authoritative list of 300,000-plus placenames, complete with coordinates - includes two Milduras."

This whole Gazetteer is incorrectly referenced and NONE of the following towns have their place names anywhere near the towns centres themselves,

Parkes, NSW (roughly 30km out of town)
Forbes, NSW
Dubbo, NSW
Gilgandra, NSW
Lithgow, NSW (50km off)

I thought in Australia the town centre was recognised as the Post Office. Apparently the Lithgow post office is 50km out of town at the top of a mountain in the Jenolan Forest?

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
It's simply insulting that Apple would even call Apple maps, a map.

I live in New York City. What kind of map doesn't have a subway station on it? Yea... Apple maps. This is THE means of transportation around the city.

I mean come on. So tired of Apple's stupid little games with this. Correct information is a MAJOR reason why you buy a smartphone these days. Or should we now call it a dumbphone.

Apple... give it up. Put Google Maps back on the iphone. Jesus Christ on a cracker.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
It's simply insulting that Apple would even call Apple maps, a map.

I live in New York City. What kind of map doesn't have a subway station on it? Yea... Apple maps. This is THE means of transportation around the city.

I mean come on. So tired of Apple's stupid little games with this. Correct information is a MAJOR reason why you buy a smartphone these days. Or should we now call it a dumbphone.

Apple... give it up. Put Google Maps back on the iphone. Jesus Christ on a cracker.

If you want cheese on your cracker...

Cheesus-Christ-Grater.jpg

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
You do realize there's nothing wrong with the actual Maps software and the flaws are in the mapping data?

Maybe, maybe not - it could be how Apple implemented the data that is causing the problem, at least that is what TomTom is saying.

In anycase, if TomTom data were this poor, their automobile GPSes would of had the same problem ... but you rarely hear of TomTom products performing this bad.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444032404578010194155931174.html

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Fail on so many levels. -1
Umm, yes. They are as moronic as the DJs are in Australia. They almost kill themselves instead of kill an innocent nurse.

If the answer is yes to these questions, there is a enough reason to question the map at some point and re-evaluate your route. There is no excuse to drive to the middle of the freakin outback with no 2nd thought. Then get stuck like a moron.

Apple maps suck, but you must be a moron to ignore road signs and follow your phone into oblivion. lol

Al Muhammed

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
They should ban digital maps altogether. Think of the security issues with being able to see the whole world at your fingertips. How often has Google Maps been used to plan a terrorist attack? I think Apple is deliberately letting these problems continue in Maps to make it less efficient for terrorists to plan their attacks. Sounds like Apple is setting a honeypot trap for these terrorists. Hopefully soon we'll see them stranded in a middle of a national park where they will be arrested instead of getting to the city where they plan on executing their attack.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
They should ban digital maps altogether. Think of the security issues with being able to see the whole world at your fingertips. How often has Google Maps been used to plan a terrorist attack? I think Apple is deliberately letting these problems continue in Maps to make it less efficient for terrorists to plan their attacks. Sounds like Apple is setting a honeypot trap for these terrorists. Hopefully soon we'll see them stranded in a middle of a national park where they will be arrested instead of getting to the city where they plan on executing their attack.

Sorry in advance but that post its pretty funny coming from someone with that nick :p

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

This post has make you very obvious

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Unfortunately for Apple, this is a typical computer/automation error since it has to use name matching. It took years for Google Maps to get to the quality we are used to, and expecting, today. It's kind of a chicken and egg problem though. The maps won't get better until Apple gets real-world input and corrections. The best Apple can to do fix this up instantly on a large scale is using another database or matching algorithm, but that instead risks breaking place information that is correct right now. This will be a tough nut to crack for them within the forthcoming few months at least.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It took years for Google Maps to get to the quality we are used to, and expecting, today.

Yes, and those years are behind us. The barrier of entry into the mapping market is higher today than it was when Google entered it in 2005. This doesn't excuse Apple's failure to meet 2012 standards. If they couldn't do it, they should have simply partnered with someone who could to provide the best experience to their users.

As it stands, that is their failure. The user experience.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Still can't believe the app doesn't show motorway junction numbers in the UK. It's completely useless without them. Surely it would take a developer two days at most to add them in?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
When I have entered a destination and go another route, it routinely tells me to "Make a u-turn in n FT" except, U-Turns are illegal in the city of Columbus.

I don't expect Apple to know every traffic law or ordinance in townships, cities or towns but a U-Turn will get me a ticket every time and shouldn't be an alternative route when I change my route.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Just fixing this error is not enough, Apple. You guys need to fix your whole Map database as quickly as possible, and bring Google Maps back as an interim solution while you people figure out the problems. Lots of angry customers are switching to other platforms because of this, but I am still sticking around because I expect you guys to fix it very soon.

you do realize they are working on it, right? It will take time. Also, your phone has this wonderful thing called the internet...check it out. It has maps. Not to mention there is a mapquest app that does turn by turn.

----------

No. Because nobody I know actually uses the Find Your Friends app.

I try, but it never works for me. Not sure why.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yes, and those years are behind us. The barrier of entry into the mapping market is higher today than it was when Google entered it in 2005. This doesn't excuse Apple's failure to meet 2012 standards. If they couldn't do it, they should have simply partnered with someone who could to provide the best experience to their users.

As it stands, that is their failure. The user experience.

I agree, but if they couldn't do it, I'd rather they don't start in the first place.

But they decided to experiment with it, and the end result is a half-baked mapping solution, with all iOS users being forced to become beta-testers for this horrendous application.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
I agree, but if they couldn't do it, I'd rather they don't start in the first place.

But they decided to experiment with it, and the end result is a half-baked mapping solution, with all iOS users being forced to become beta-testers for this horrendous application.

Apple probably thought Google will release their standalone version on iOS quickly and no one will notice the shortcomings of Apple Maps. Google dragging their feet puts a spotlight on Apple Maps.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I see you have never been to OZ mate! May come as a rude shock when you get here and find that its not all nicely sign posted..... and even paved roads can be a luxury.

Your in luck though if you are a fan of Signs with bullet holes in them, we tend to use them as target practice in the outback ;) as a result of this they may not point in the right direction at times

Can the tourists read English?? I would say not always. Though these tend to have a smartphone which they trust to get them to their destination.

Only morons here are the decision makers who launched Apple maps, believing it was to Apple standards.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I see you have never been to OZ mate! May come as a rude shock when you get here and find that its not all nicely sign posted..... and even paved roads can be a luxury.

Your in luck though if you are a fan of Signs with bullet holes in them, we tend to use them as target practice in the outback ;) as a result of this they may not point in the right direction at times

Can the tourists read English?? I would say not always. Though these tend to have a smartphone which they trust to get them to their destination.

Only morons here are the decision makers who launched Apple maps, believing it was to Apple standards.

Interesting. Makes more sense now.

Couldn't apple run some script to compare their maps to google for discrepancies before shipping?

:apple:

peterbaby

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
The maps won't get better until Apple gets real-world input and corrections.

Problem as you say is they need to update their map....but can't do it fully manually or fully automatically either.
As for manual corrections: I have sent (3 times) a correction request for Monaco...As you may know, it is already the 2nd smallest and 1st densiest country in the world; apparently Apple thought expanding a park through an entire city district would be cool, as if room wasn't a problem already!
Nothing has changed, not even a - standard automated - "Thank you, we'll look what we can do".

As a customer, I don't care that I am one in 10 million people sending a correction, and want to feel listened. I don't actually care if they correct their maps quickly... but at least send me a ********* confirmation that my correction tip was received :p

It IS a chicken and egg problem, but maps was just too screwed for release. I have stopped using Apple Maps (at all) and only rely on the (impractical) Google Maps web apps. I will not send any correction, tip, or business suggestion to Apple anymore.
I am afraid this is a vicious circle, and I don't know how Apple will deal about it. I still secretly hope Apple has screwed this up to big, that they will be forced to admit defeat and go back to Google in a few months... but that's dreaming :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

Couldn't apple run some script to compare their maps to google for discrepancies before shipping?

I wouldn’t want to do that!

Google Maps are risking lives too—in Australia no less!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology...ice-warn-of-safety-concerns-from-google-maps/

You’d almost think that ALL maps have problems, and the world simply notices them more with Apple logo...

Where are the scandals when Google is missing whole streets and regions? That happens too, but it doesn’t sell ads for the media...

(These danger stories—both when Apple AND Google are at fault—are worthy of reporting though! If nothing else, people should be aware that ANY GPS should be taken with the same caution as verbal instructions from a local. Errors are possible. Scary.)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I wouldn’t want to do that!

Google Maps are risking lives too—in Australia no less!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology...ice-warn-of-safety-concerns-from-google-maps/

You’d almost think that ALL maps have problems, and the world simply notices them more with Apple logo...

Where are the scandals when Google is missing whole streets and regions? That happens too, but it doesn’t sell ads for the media...

(These danger stories—both when Apple AND Google are at fault—are worthy of reporting though! If nothing else, people should be aware that ANY GPS should be taken with the same caution as verbal instructions from a local. Errors are possible. Scary.)

Ahhh, Google Maps is accurate in that story. The road exists. It's a dirt road. There are lots of dirt roads.

----------

Not only would this be illegal because it is stealing Google's data, but the number of errors found with Apple Maps would take down all of Apple's data centres.

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006

Your in luck though if you are a fan of Signs with bullet holes in them, we tend to use them as target practice in the outback as a result of this they may not point in the right direction at times

Valid point, however this does not point the blame on Apple, but rather your Country for having ****** road signs and *******s messing with the signs.

A map is meant to assist with directions.

Since Australia is at fault for the incorrect mapping data, instead of blaming apple and telling people not to use apple maps, maybe they should put up road signs? it is their Country after all and they should take pride in it and make people want to visit...

BuckusToothnuts

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
The common stuff between haters, is that they never understand the word they use. So I will help you as - with all the haters - you think that innovation is invention.

WRONG! That was a QUOTE from Tim Cook. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you'd like to "educate" Cook with your "knowledge" to let him know Apple is "innovating" not "inventing".

BTW, you don't get patents for "innovations", you get them for INVENTIONS. From what you're saying, Apple doesn't have a LEG to stand on with its current patent lawsuits. You better hurry over to San Jose and give your expert TESTIMONY in the Apple v. Samsung trial. Good boy!

Innovation is the development of new customers value through solutions that meet new needs, inarticulate needs, or old customer and market needs in new ways. Innovation differs from invention in that innovation refers to the use of a better and, as a result, novel idea or method, whereas invention refers more directly to the creation of the idea or method itself.

Seriously, your "writing" is the WORST and most UNFORGIVABLE on this board, and that's saying A LOT. Do you even READ what you spew? I wouldn't expect this level of writing from someone whose fifth language was English. My IQ just dropped about 20 points to 160 after reading your "analysis".

It is what Apple is doing mainly. Bring values with existing technologies. In the case of Maps, the innovation I see here is fly by which I like a lot.

It's called FLYOVER, not "fly by". :rolleyes:

What's Apple going to introduce next in the Maps app, "fly by shooting"???

Yeah, this "innovation" is so great and inspiring, you don't even know what it's called. Nice one! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.