Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We expect many Lightning-enabled accessories to be coming from companies at CES 2013. Griffin today announced an update to their StudioConnect Audio/MIDI dock which adds a Lightning connector. They claim it to be the first music creation accessory that supports the Lightning connector.
StudioConnect gives your iPad: audio in and out, MIDI in and out, and a stereo headphone jack with its own volume control so you can monitor what's going in (or out).
The StudioConnect with Lightning will be available in the Spring of 2013 and will cost $149.

Article Link: CES 2013: Griffin Updates StudioConnect MIDI Dock with Lightning Connector

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
Yes, it provides power and charges the iPad rapidly. However, the Griffin supplied AC adapter gets very hot (unlike Apple's adapter/charger) until the iPad is fully charged.

But more troubling than a hot AC adapter is the fact that although Griffin took pains to update the Studio Connect with a Lightning interface, they left all other features as is. As such, the Gain adjustment continues to work only on the Mono input, and there is no Gain adjustment whatsoever for the Stereo input. That may be of no significance to some, but it was a big issue for me. I made a video about that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AHF_CTdtVc

My unboxing video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3803CK1s2kc

(My videos are of the previous edition product which does not have the Lightning connector.)

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
This thing looks cool. I am going to see if I can get a good deal on a 30 pin version for my iPad 2.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I love that Lighning is catching on quicker than Thunderbolt. I can count the seconds between them and feel safe in know the storm is far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.