Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrissurra

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2005
Why should they replace anything? I bought mine used and met the guy at the Apple store to have it checked out before I bought it. Its not like Apple doesnt know that there is a secondary market for iPhones.

The genius checked it and made sure there were no issues.

PS Class act with the Jewish comment.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Exactly. You bought an Apple device, but Apple didn't make a penny extra out of it. Why should they bend over backwards for you? Fair enough you're in a tough situation, but the guy who sold it to you clearly didn't give you the full history or lied (did you actually ask?), and ultimately it's your responsibility. Maybe you're just so used to hearing Apple making exceptions for people that you have that expectation of them...

I am used to Apple giving incredible, expectation-defying customer service. Yeah, I suppose I really have no place to be upset with Apple... but playing the devil's advocate here... I'm not quite sure what Apple stands to lose by accepting my barely-defective iPhone 4S to swap it with a unit that has a working earpiece speaker.

Of course I'm upset with the dude who sold it to me, but as you might've expected, he's MIA. Won't return my calls/texts, etc. Sucks.

Now of course I'm actually gonna have to get it fixed somewhere if I want it fixed and pay for it myself, since even if Apple did exchange it for me I would likely have it replaced by a replacement with an unjailbreakable firmware and I'm just not willing to lose my collection of Nintendo emulators over it.

And also, I'm not really upset at Apple, it's just one of those things... a frustrating situation that was also a learning experience that hopefully some of you can learn from too.

----------

PS Class act with the Jewish comment.

Well, being Jewish myself, I unfortunately fall into way too many stereotypes, most of which I try and ignore. But they're there and kind of funny.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
The 4S hasn't been out for a year yet why wouldn't it have any warranty? Even refurbished ones have warranty.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
The 4S hasn't been out for a year yet why wouldn't it have any warranty? Even refurbished ones have warranty.

The warrenty has been used on this phone. Apparently three times. And apparently it was once a Verizon 4S. and also it comes up black in iTunes even though it's a white iPhone. Crazy huh?

spiritflare

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
This happened to me once - was scammed on Craiglist by an honest looking seller. This happened because the seller on Craigslist called Apple for a replacement and when they sent his new phone to him, he did NOT send the old phone back. He probably told Apple that he is ship it back, or whatever happened he gave you the replacement phone and kept the new one.

Apple flagged it as belonging to them - as they told me when I presented mine for warranty. Technically they have a right to take the phone back as it should be the RMA phone returned for replacing.

Lesson learned. Now when you buy online, meetup at the Apple store and have Apple check the serial number to see if it is legit.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me"

Jack mill

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Guys,

I am in the same boat..happened to me yesterday. I wanted to check, if the phone in this condition (invalid serial, with replace phone) works well? I mean did you guys see Apple blocking the phone? Would it have any issues in using overseas?

Please let me know!
Thanks

This happened to me once - was scammed on Craiglist by an honest looking seller. This happened because the seller on Craigslist called Apple for a replacement and when they sent his new phone to him, he did NOT send the old phone back. He probably told Apple that he is ship it back, or whatever happened he gave you the replacement phone and kept the new one.

Apple flagged it as belonging to them - as they told me when I presented mine for warranty. Technically they have a right to take the phone back as it should be the RMA phone returned for replacing.

Lesson learned. Now when you buy online, meetup at the Apple store and have Apple check the serial number to see if it is legit.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me"

baz007

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
hi there,
did apple initially give you the full warranty and updated on the 'apple check coverage' then when you went on to get the phone fixed they did not want to help you out?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I buy phones an Craigslist weekly and never had an issue. You have to do your homework before you buy. The last phone I bought was a verizon 4s mint for $180. I met the seller tested as much as I could on the phone. -mic, speakers, headphone jack, GPS, wifi etc. I also put in the serial number on apples website. It showed it was out of warranty, that's it. If you had done this you would have known. You can't judge a book by the cover, which was what you did. A perfect looking phone can have damage that you can't immediately notice. Take it from me I make a secondary living off Craigslist buying phones and game systems to resell on eBay. Been doing this for almost a year and have never had a loss yet. Since the iPhone 5 came out there have been so many 4s for sale for less than. $200.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.