Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:28 AM   #26
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere?
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:44 AM   #27
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere?
A lot of people have been saying September- November release and it makes sense but there is increasing evidence that release for both ipad 5 and mini 2 could be as early as April. I think a summer release is looking most likely.

Last edited by Samtb; Feb 23, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:35 AM   #28
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere?
i dont claim march, but it does make sense for it to be around that time if this is true. after all why would they start production this far ahead if they were to launch in the fall? again thats just my opinion
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:54 AM   #29
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt606 View Post
i dont claim march, but it does make sense for it to be around that time if this is true. after all why would they start production this far ahead if they were to launch in the fall? again thats just my opinion
They normally start assembly of the units themselves 3 months before launch so parts assembly will start over 4 months before launch. If they've just started the screen production, it won't be out by March, it would be April at earliest. Mass production on an Apple scale is huge and takes months.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:09 AM   #30
ZuneMan?
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Apple Store
So Apple is going to release a new mini only a few months after the original's release?? Highly unlikely. Don't expect it to come out any earlier than July
ZuneMan? is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:52 AM   #31
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
I'm fascinated by everyone's claim that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. Why do you think this? Neither the iPad, iPhone, nor iPod Touch went up in price when Retina was added, what makes you think the mini will be the exception?
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:24 AM   #32
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
I'm fascinated by everyone's claim that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. Why do you think this? Neither the iPad, iPhone, nor iPod Touch went up in price when Retina was added, what makes you think the mini will be the exception?
The fact that its hard to put a retina display in such a small device and because they compromised on the mini to make it cheaper by using A5 chip, to keep the cost down. Retina would require a larger battery, more efficient display and at least A5X, which is more of a jump than from ipad2 to 3. This combined with the fact that mini would have lower margins anyway.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:39 AM   #33
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
The fact that its hard to put a retina display in such a small device and because they compromised on the mini to make it cheaper by using A5 chip, to keep the cost down. Retina would require a larger battery, more efficient display and at least A5X, which is more of a jump than from ipad2 to 3. This combined with the fact that mini would have lower margins anyway.
but surely u gotta take into account the cheaper and more efficient manufacturing processes, just like with every piece tech it becomes cheaper as it becomes more of a widespread standard. the retina screen for example isnt really everything special now, as everyone is producing high ppi screens
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:56 AM   #34
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt606 View Post
but surely u gotta take into account the cheaper and more efficient manufacturing processes, just like with every piece tech it becomes cheaper as it becomes more of a widespread standard. the retina screen for example isnt really everything special now, as everyone is producing high ppi screens
Yes but putting a high ppi screen in a tablet that small and light has never been done before and is not easy to do. It would require new technologies to be able to do that.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:10 AM   #35
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Yes but putting a high ppi screen in a tablet that small and light has never been done before and is not easy to do. It would require new technologies to be able to do that.
you could say the exact same thing about the iPhone 4, nothing t the time had anything of that high ppi, yet they also managed to make the thinest smartphone at that time.
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:30 PM   #36
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
The fact that its hard to put a retina display in such a small device and because they compromised on the mini to make it cheaper by using A5 chip, to keep the cost down. Retina would require a larger battery, more efficient display and at least A5X, which is more of a jump than from ipad2 to 3. This combined with the fact that mini would have lower margins anyway.
How do you know they compromised by using the A5 chip? I'm betting it was intentional, as the A6 is in the iPhone 5, a device much smaller than the iPad mini. Everything else you said is also true of both the iPad and iPhone transitions to Retina, yet the price didn't increase there either. They even made the iPhone 4 thinner than the 3GS while simultaneously adding the Retina Display.

None of those reasons really support the argument that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. I'm not saying it's impossible, but historically Apple hasn't done this and I don't see any compelling reasons why they would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Yes but putting a high ppi screen in a tablet that small and light has never been done before and is not easy to do. It would require new technologies to be able to do that.
What is your source of information? Is this all your assumption, or do you have something specific telling you this? The Nexus7 is about the same size as the iPad mini, roughly the same weight, has a higher resolution screen, and is cheaper.

Either give us something substantial, or stop stating your opinion as if it were fact.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:53 PM   #37
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
I'm fascinated by everyone's claim that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. Why do you think this? Neither the iPad, iPhone, nor iPod Touch went up in price when Retina was added, what makes you think the mini will be the exception?
I agree, the fact that the mini came out slightly over priced (as people here thought) then this retina change could be included in the current price when it eventually comes out. I too think the price will stay the same, based on the history of other iOS devices.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
How do you know they compromised by using the A5 chip? I'm betting it was intentional, as the A6 is in the iPhone 5, a device much smaller than the iPad mini. Everything else you said is also true of both the iPad and iPhone transitions to Retina, yet the price didn't increase there either. They even made the iPhone 4 thinner than the 3GS while simultaneously adding the Retina Display.

None of those reasons really support the argument that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. I'm not saying it's impossible, but historically Apple hasn't done this and I don't see any compelling reasons why they would.



What is your source of information? Is this all your assumption, or do you have something specific telling you this? The Nexus7 is about the same size as the iPad mini, roughly the same weight, has a higher resolution screen, and is cheaper.

Either give us something substantial, or stop stating your opinion as if it were fact.
Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. I have no reliable sources to claim this, nor am I claiming this as hard fact.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:51 PM   #39
Agent-P
macrumors 68020
 
Agent-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
I agree, the fact that the mini came out slightly over priced (as people here thought) then this retina change could be included in the current price when it eventually comes out. I too think the price will stay the same, based on the history of other iOS devices.
This was my thinking as well. I thought they used the slightly higher price to plan ahead for the retina screen so they wouldn't have to change prices.
__________________
I have a dream that one day iOS users, Android users, and Windows Phone users will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:48 PM   #40
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
The price will increase from $329 to $400. Remember the release of retina display for MacBook Pro? You gotta pay premium for a premium screen.
AbyssImpact is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:36 PM   #41
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssImpact View Post
The price will increase from $329 to $400. Remember the release of retina display for MacBook Pro? You gotta pay premium for a premium screen.
Unless it was priced at 329 in anticipation of a retina screen.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:10 PM   #42
jb1280
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssImpact View Post
The price will increase from $329 to $400. Remember the release of retina display for MacBook Pro? You gotta pay premium for a premium screen.
Or remember when the iPhone and iPad went retina and there were no price increases to speak of?

When you speak of the notebooks, one must consider the transition from HDD to flash in the price increase.
jb1280 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:13 PM   #43
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1280 View Post
Or remember when the iPhone and iPad went retina and there were no price increases to speak of?

When you speak of the notebooks, one must consider the transition from HDD to flash in the price increase.
So in the same way could one consider a transition to a different screen technology such as IGZO?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:41 PM   #44
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssImpact View Post
The price will increase from $329 to $400. Remember the release of retina display for MacBook Pro? You gotta pay premium for a premium screen.
Remember the releases of the iPhone 4, iPad 3, and 4th gen iPod Touch? Remember how there was no price bump? A lot more was changed in the retina MBPs than in the iDevices. Besides, these are two completely different product lines. That comparison is like following a change in Honda's cars and somehow expecting a corresponding change in their motorcycle line when there has been no previous correlation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
So in the same way could one consider a transition to a different screen technology such as IGZO?
Possibly. Sharp claims that the manufacturing process for IGZO should be insignificantly different from existing LCD manufacturing processes, so theoretically there shouldn't be a price bump. Only time will tell, though.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:52 PM   #45
smileyface
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Here are leaked pics of the mini 2.If these pics have any validity,the mini 2 will be heavier and thicker so you are going to pay a price for a retina display.

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5/lea...display-coming
smileyface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:02 PM   #46
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
Remember the releases of the iPhone 4, iPad 3, and 4th gen iPod Touch? Remember how there was no price bump? A lot more was changed in the retina MBPs than in the iDevices. Besides, these are two completely different product lines. That comparison is like following a change in Honda's cars and somehow expecting a corresponding change in their motorcycle line when there has been no previous correlation.



Possibly. Sharp claims that the manufacturing process for IGZO should be insignificantly different from existing LCD manufacturing processes, so theoretically there shouldn't be a price bump. Only time will tell, though.
I think they are difficult to mass produce at the moment and currently igzo products are only available in Japan. Theoretically, wouldnt this make it more expensive? See http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/11/...en-technology/
Although this article claims ipad uses igzo screens which is clearly not true.

Last edited by Samtb; Feb 24, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:53 PM   #47
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a
 
kristoffer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denmark
Bring! I think ( hope ) new Retina Mini in March and they keep the old and sell it for less maybe even 200 dollars to compete with Google Nexus 7.

That way we have a choice; Heavier and more expensive retina og less weight and money for the regular ipad mini.
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:44 PM   #48
D.T.
macrumors 68020
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
A lot more was changed in the retina MBPs than in the iDevices. Besides, these are two completely different product lines.
Not to mention, the 15" rMBP was the same price as a matching spec cMBP (i.e., SSD, matching CPU, etc.).

The 13 rMBP was more expensive than the matching spec'ed cMBP and Apple saw the need to reduce the price, and once again, the cM and rM are the same price when configured the same.

That being said, I'm not totally convinced Apple won't bump the price, possibly even both ways to create a clear feature-to-price distance - i.e., 16GB rMini at $399, 16GB cMini at $299 ($30 price drop).

So 16GB models:

$299 cMini
$399 rMini
$499 riPad

... and finally, goodbye completely to the iPad 2 (and another 30pin device, still using the old spec FFC, WiFi, etc.)
__________________
"It is not daily increase but daily decrease; hack away the unessential." ~Bruce Lee
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC