Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Night Spring
macrumors 604

Mini screen more fragile than regular iPad?

The mods closed the original thread, but I found this side issue interesting, so I thought I'd start a new thread on this.

Quote:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=118
To answer on topic, the iPad Mini is a brilliant little tablet and would probably be perfect from a size perspective, but there have been suggestions that the glass may be thinner and therefore easier to break than the iPad 2 so you may want to consider that.
Quote:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=122
The mini screen is slightly raised like the iPhone 5 so that may make it easier to break if it lands on a corner when dropped. And yeh the thinner screen is slightly noticeable. Moderate pressure on the screen discolours it and I can definitely notice it feeling a bit more softer than the bigger iPad.
I have to say I've never noticed this issue. I can see the point about iPhone 5 and the mini being easier to break if you drop them on a corner, which is why I got cases for both my 5 and the mini (and indeed for all my iDevices). But screen discolouring with pressure and feeling softer? I can't say I've noticed, but again, I put screen protectors on all my iDevices. Have other people noticed this issue? Has this been discussed before and I missed it?
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
The mods closed the original thread, but I found this side issue interesting, so I thought I'd start a new thread on this.

I have to say I've never noticed this issue. I can see the point about iPhone 5 and the mini being easier to break if you drop them on a corner, which is why I got cases for both my 5 and the mini (and indeed for all my iDevices). But screen discolouring with pressure and feeling softer? I can't say I've noticed, but again, I put screen protectors on all my iDevices. Have other people noticed this issue? Has this been discussed before and I missed it?
Well, the second quote is bull. The Minis screen is flush, not like the raised iPhone 5. Ignore this rubbish and enjoy your devices.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68000

The mini screen feels VERY thin. Pressing down on it makes it bend. And it feels kinda hollow only that's probably not the right word to describe it.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Costino1
macrumors member

I agree 100%

It feels 'plasticy' and not glassy like the regular iPad.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

i just hope apple can make regular ipad lighter but not with the mini glass.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

It is thinner, but it's also smaller. It's not easy to say which of them is more durable. My feeling is that they're pretty similar.
bobbysmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
It is thinner, but it's also smaller. It's not easy to say which of them is more durable. My feeling is that they're pretty similar.
I agree. It does indeed feel a bit thinner, but I don't think it's something to be concerned about!
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad