Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I always buy S versions of the iPhone

They are usually the best they can be with hardware upgrades and any bugs fixed

I have a 4s now

Waiting for a 5s this September / October

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I'll absolutely be upgrading my 4S to the 5S as soon as it's released. I'll also be taking the opportunity to switch to T-Mobile at the same time as well. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

frag2

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
If the 5S has the bigger screen, I'll pick one up. If 6 is the one with bigger screen, I'll wait for that then.

4S is serviceable for me still, given what I do with it-email, twitter and music.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I upgrade at least one of my lines every cycle so will get the 5s.... plus I'm a vain ****** so need the newest phone in my hand.

I only have one line available to upgrade now so will probably just get the one.... unless I see I can make a nice profit selling them off, in that case I'll open another line or two and clean up.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
This is just me, but I'm on a iPhone 4 right now. I planned to buy either a 4S or one of the new econo iPhones off contract and also purchase an iPad mini.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Software performance drives my phone purchasing decisions, not on-board specs. The specs aren't worth much to me unless there is software that specifically exploits same.

So really depends on what is written to exploit the 5S feature set, if anything. Given where we are now with the 5, mostly its been just games that have exploited the 5's larger screen. So I'm firmly in the wait-and-see camp for now.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
the 4S is still capable of meeting all my phone needs.

The biggest tech regret I have is getting rid of my stellar iPhone 4S and pre ordering an iPhone 5.

Given the rumors I read this morning, there's no way I'm buying an iPhone 5S.

All indications reveal its likely to be replaced within a very short time by the iPhone 6, as Apple is reported to have finally realized that to be relevant they must include a modern sized display in the 4.8" range.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
If the 5S has the bigger screen, I'll pick one up. If 6 is the one with bigger screen, I'll wait for that then.

4S is serviceable for me still, given what I do with it-email, twitter and music.

lmao, get the iPad mini then

skipcooney

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2010
Connecticut
I have a Verizon 4S with unlimited data. I know Verizon is charging me for an upgraded phone every 2 years, whether I buy one or not. 3G data service on the 4S is getting old.

1. Upgrade to 5S at an upgrade price and live with a capped data plan.
2. Buy a 5 on eBay or CraigsList to keep my unlimited data. Prices for the 5 will drop when the 5S comes out.
3. Buy a full-priced 5S to get the newest phone and keep unlimited data.
4. Keep the 4S and feel like a chump, paying Verizon for an upgrade and not getting it.

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
Definitely getting a 5S. My 4S has slowed down alot and the battery life isn't that great so I'm looking forward to upgrading.

spokenblurb

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2011
I have a 5 right now and honestly my 4s prior to this still felt fast, with all the untapped performance available in the 5 I can't imagine what the 5s could offer that would make me switch minus some incredible hardware additions. We are at a point now were either apps have to become more robust to actually use all this power or new practical hardware features have to be added.

Grmnracing

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2011
I just got the 5. My 4S battery was horrible. To be fair ill estimate I had close to 1000 battery cycles. I used that phone hard.

I was going to replace the battery but I was craving LTE and had an upgrade. I sold the 4S for $200 and got the iPhone 5. I'll be ok with my "old" phone when the 5s comes out.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Getting the 5S. Like others have noted, my battery is horrible and my phone is starting to slow down. Can't restore or I'll lose 6.1.2 :(

I really want the larger screen of the 5, but I also want a much faster phone. I'm hoping the 5S finally brings quad core processing to the iOS line up. I know Apple can pull it off too. :)

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
My upgrade is already here for my 4s. I'm waiting and praying the 5s get skipped and it goes to the 6. But if it doesn't impress me then I'm switching to the s4 or note 2.

Ewww...I hate the note. I can't believe so many people like it as their daily phone. To each his own, but IMO its horrible.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm with AT&T and I upgraded from the 3GS to the 4S when it was released. So in all likelihood I'll be moving to the 5S later this Fall.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Definitely getting the 5S as the 3G in my area is awful on my 4S. Might consider an iPhone 6 off contract when that time comes if they add a larger screen. If not I'll stick to my 2 year upgrade cycle.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I've had the original iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, and now 5. I can't wait for the 5S, and I'll be getting the 6 too. I kept my original bit I've sold all the rest to pay for the new flagship. It's worked perfectly for me. And iPhones and iPads are the only 2 devices that I've ever been an early adopter of. With all my other technical, geeky gadgets & hobbies I am the exact opposite. Apple has me sucked so far in, but I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.