Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:09 AM   #301
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC View Post
Excellent, thanks. Now to get over my anxiety of opening up the iMac and follow that iFixit video.
The various videos available are really helpful. I followed one from iFixit and looked at several from other sites. The switch is pretty straightforward. The thing I remember being difficult was that the bracket which came with the SSD did not fit. I followed the advice of simply buying velcro strips and securing the SSD directly to the machine. The 2.5" drive is so light that two velcro strips locked it down tight and I've had no problems for over 6 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbob View Post
My iMAC early 2008 24" system is working fine, but I am interested in the solid state drive described above - specifically the Samsung 840 PRO. I went to the Samsung site, but after entering my Model iMac8,1 none of those I looked indicated they would work with my iMAC. Any insights appreciated.

Bob
I didn't get the Pro version, but instead saved some money by going with the regular Samsung 840 250gb SSD. From all of the reviews and research I read there was no reason to choose the Pro over the standard version. I bought mine at Best Buy when they had a sale and installed it last July.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:20 AM   #302
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbob View Post
If a solid state unit is to be considered, should the replacement solid state unit be at least 500 GB to equal my current drive? Price now enters into my thinking since this becomes pretty pricey at this level. Any insights appreciated
CONNECTION
ssd come in different sata versions, like usb. Each is faster than the last and each is backwards compatible. For the longest service life, get the newest gen available and don't worry if sata III will work in a sata I, it will.

INSTALLATION
the trick is 2.5" vs 3.5". There are low cost size adapters if you don't wish to use adhesives. If you don't want to open the iMac, you can also get a firewire box. Though for the price, you could also get a bigger SSD.

BRAND
i like crucial, others like Samsung, still others like intel. Avoid the small brands then get the one you like.

SIZE
a given SSD is made up of a number of single chips. every time they 'shrink the die', the capacity of each chip goes up and the number of chips needed for a given SSD size goes down. We had one last year, making 1TB drives possible and 64GB drives impractical. Drives more than say 80% full will wear out faster. make room in your space budget or be ready to offload.

PRICE
higher price points allow for better features. The crucial 480 and 960 have reliability features not present in the smaller m500 drives. So to with pro vs evo Samsung. But for many, the base model is enough because the tech itself has gotten so good. And don't worry about HDD costing less per gig. It's the only remaining advantage and as sales continue to drop, so will prices. They will always be cheaper, until they shut down production.

RESULTS
The oldest machine I've put SSD into is a 2006 mini and it's now much master. Any machine you still use will benefit. Having done all 4 of my macs, I would do any machine that is core duo or better.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:05 PM   #303
Lucianrider
macrumors member

I've posted here before but my wifes early 2008 iMac 24" has just been wiped and upgraded to a new install of Mavericks and will become a back up machine or guest machine now that she has a new 27" iMac.

Its been a great machine since Christmas of 2008 when I gave it to her as a present. The only failure it had was the power supply which I replaced using one I got off Ebay. The hard drive has been upgraded to a 1 TB and the memory is maxed out at 6 GB.

It will now get a well deserved rest until it is needed... It was only turned off when we went away on holiday for a couple of weeks a year. A stellar machine and one I would be happy to use myself if I didn't already have a mid 2011 21.5" iMac.
Lucianrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 03:09 PM   #304
BSoares
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAppleGuy View Post
How long do you expect to get out of it?
Sorry, only saw your quote today. I did sell it shortly after buying a 27" iMac at the end of 2012.
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 04:17 PM   #305
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
Sorry, only saw your quote today. I did sell it shortly after buying a 27" iMac at the end of 2012.
No problem Was just wondering thanks
MartinAppleGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 06:25 PM   #306
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Mine died yesterday don't know what to Do. Its either a video card issue or the logic board.
bobenhaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:11 PM   #307
Grubster
macrumors member

Mine died on return from vacation last week. Was getting 9 SOS beeps. Replaced Logic board, booted to Apple logo and just hangs. Tech got it to boot with other drive finally with Tiger 10.4.10, then it booted with mavericks. My drive still won't boot. Next day, it won't boot off ANY drive. Any idea what to do? Could my video card be shot? I'm having a hard time spending 300 on a 7 year old video card. I got the logic board for dirt cheap.

Mid 2007 24" iMac 2.8 extreme
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:29 AM   #308
talmy
macrumors 68040

It is funny that this 1.5+ year old thread boasting about the longevity of 24" iMacs is now turning into a 24" iMac obituary thread.

(FYI, the two 24" iMacs I maintain are still running strong.)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:56 PM   #309
txjeep
macrumors member

My early 2008 24" iMac is still running well, but I find myself waiting on it to catch up more and more. It crashes from time to time when I have too many programs open. I think I'm asking too much of it these days. I looked at the 27s yesterday at the Apple store. They are very nice. No yellow screen issues on any of them I looked at, by the way. If they had one with an i7 and an SSD, I would have walked out with it. I may go back and get the one with the i7 & 3TB fusion drive after reading the positive fusion drive reviews on this site today.
txjeep is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac