Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:12 AM   #76
lsquare
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd01 View Post
I have a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA. It's a really speedy little machine, but I only use one external screen at 1920x1200. If you want two external screens you must either buy two Thunderbolt displays or use one miniDisplayport screen plus a USB device to connect the second screen.

You cannot daisychain two screens using miniDisplayport.
Are you sure that's not possible? I thought that as long as the Displayport on the MBA is DP1.2 compliant then it should work. Are you saying that the mini-displayport on the MBA isn't DP1.2 compliant?
lsquare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:22 AM   #77
Boyd01
macrumors 6502a

No, I'm not completely sure since I have not tried myself. But everything I've read says you can only connect one monitor via miniDisplayport. Give it a try and let us know what happens, I would be interested to hear something definitive.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:46 AM   #78
SBA
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post
Please revisit post #57 in this thread. Matrix makes a $150 adapter that allows 2 displays to be hooked up via mDP.
Just to be clear though, this Matrox box isn't daisychaining the two displays. As previously mentioned, daisychaining cannot be accomplished with mini-displayport or DVI - that can only be done with the Thunderbolt displays (why there aren't any cheaper/smaller thunderbolt displays made by other OEMs is beyond me too).

One cable runs from the Thunderbolt port into the Matrox, one more runs into it via USB for power, and then it's two separate cables going into two separate displays, giving you effectively one stretched display at 3840x1080.
SBA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 02:15 AM   #79
Benilava
macrumors newbie

How about a DisplayPort adaptor chained off a Thunderbolt display?

I have a 2013 MBA (latest model). I currently use it with the Apple mDP to VGA adaptor to drive a ViewSonic monitor. I plug the adaptor into the MBA's Thunderbolt port and it drives the VGA monitor just fine.

What I want to do is purchase a new Thunderbolt display. I'd attach the new Thunderbolt display directly to the MBA. Then I'd plug (daisy chain) the Apple mDP to VGA adaptor into the Thunderbolt display, and attach it like I do today, to the ViewSonic.

Proposed connection: MBA Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt cable -> Apple Thunderbolt 27" display -> mDP to VGA adaptor -> ViewSonic.

Can anyone confirm whether this configuration will function as expected, allowing me to run those two as multiple monitors? And if so, is the MBA display also functional?
Benilava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:54 AM   #80
sco
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benilava View Post
Can anyone confirm whether this configuration will function as expected, allowing me to run those two as multiple monitors? And if so, is the MBA display also functional?
No it won't work. You can't directly attach a second display to a Thunderbolt Display (except another Thunderbolt Display) - you need another thunderbolt device in-between i.e. MBA -> TBD -> another Thunderbolt device -> adapter -> monitor.

See: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5219
sco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:33 AM   #81
mercurysquad
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb Guys why don't you all use...

... an Apple TV?

You can have an internal laptop screen + AppleTV wireless screen + external screen connected via miniDP = 3 screens total, on your MBA. AppleTV doesn't really lag much from my experience.
mercurysquad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:07 PM   #82
Shockre
macrumors member

you can daisy chain 2 Dell U2414H displays and use with your macbook.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch
Shockre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 09:45 AM   #83
kwijbo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockre View Post
you can daisy chain 2 Dell U2414H displays and use with your macbook.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch
Do you have the monitors to confirm if this works? I was under the impression that higher than 2560x1600 resolutions required HDMI in OSX as of now, hence the issues with the nMP and Dell 4k monitors (since they use MST to display their picture).

There is some talk of updated MST drivers in this thread coming with 10.9.2, so maybe there is hope for 2x 2413 or 2x 2412H soon.
kwijbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:26 AM   #84
vaultedskies
macrumors newbie

Targus Dock

Has anyone tried this:

http://targus.com/US/universal-usb-3...ation-acp70usz

Reviews:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403751,00.asp
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/acc...g-station.aspx
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20533...desktop-r.html

It claims to be able to drive 2x 1080p displays via USB 3. Seems like a pretty clean solution.

The following Amazon review claims that it works with MBA running Win 7
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1JQ7R7...=&nodeID=&tag=

Last edited by vaultedskies; Feb 27, 2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Additional info
vaultedskies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:26 PM   #85
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post
... an Apple TV?

You can have an internal laptop screen + AppleTV wireless screen + external screen connected via miniDP = 3 screens total, on your MBA. AppleTV doesn't really lag much from my experience.
Because the Apple TV lags like crazy and it only outputs to HDMI. You'd basically be buying a crappy HDMI adapter that costs $100.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:03 PM   #86
kcwood247
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwijbo View Post
Do you have the monitors to confirm if this works? I was under the impression that higher than 2560x1600 resolutions required HDMI in OSX as of now, hence the issues with the nMP and Dell 4k monitors (since they use MST to display their picture).

There is some talk of updated MST drivers in this thread coming with 10.9.2, so maybe there is hope for 2x 2413 or 2x 2412H soon.
Just confirmed that daisy chaining two Dell U2414H does not work.

Setup:
- MBA (2012) with 8GB RAM
- Thunderbolt port > Mini-DP to DP cable (DP1.2 certified - for higher bandwidth) > Dell U2414H Monitor 1 with settings set to use DP1.2 > DP (out) to DP (in) cable (DP1.2 certified - for higher bandwidth) > Dell U2414H Monitor 2 with settings set to use DP1.2.
- Also tried various other cabling and settings, but ended up with same results.

Results:
- Dell U2414H Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 project the same image. If configured to mirror MBA screen, all 3 displays are the same. Mouse moves to same position(s) on all 3.
- Turning off mirroring, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 project the same image / they both appear to be a directly connected external monitor to the MBA. Mouse moves between MBA and Monitor 1/2; Mouse moves to same position(s) on Monitor 1 and 2.
- Closing the lid on the MBA also has the same results. Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 are the MBA's desktop and project the same image. Mouse moves to same position(s) on Monitor 1 and 2.

Hope this helps someone else looking/attempting to do the same with DP1.2.
kcwood247 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 09:06 AM   #87
kwijbo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwood247 View Post

Setup:
- Thunderbolt port > Mini-DP to DP cable (DP1.2 certified - for higher bandwidth) > Dell U2414H Monitor 1 with settings set to use DP1.2 > DP (out) to DP (in) cable (DP1.2 certified - for higher bandwidth) > Dell U2414H Monitor 2 with settings set to use DP1.2.
- Also tried various other cabling and settings, but ended up with same results.

Results:
- Dell U2414H Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 project the same image. If configured to mirror MBA screen, all 3 displays are the same. Mouse moves to same position(s) on all 3.
- Turning off mirroring, Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 project the same image / they both appear to be a directly connected external monitor to the MBA. Mouse moves between MBA and Monitor 1/2; Mouse moves to same position(s) on Monitor 1 and 2.
- Closing the lid on the MBA also has the same results. Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 are the MBA's desktop and project the same image. Mouse moves to same position(s) on Monitor 1 and 2.

Thanks for testing that out. Although, it seems like the graphics updates that would enable MST didn't make it into 10.9.2 and are now in 10.9.3 (here)...any chance you'd be able to test again when 10.9.3 is released?
kwijbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:22 AM   #88
kcwood247
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Thanks for testing that out. Although, it seems like the graphics updates that would enable MST didn't make it into 10.9.2 and are now in 10.9.3 (here)...any chance you'd be able to test again when 10.9.3 is released?
Not a problem. I'll post the results after it's released.
kcwood247 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:14 AM   #89
ProcFreq
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Setup:

Results:

Quote:
Quote:
Not a problem. I'll post the results after it's released.
The problem is that your MBA doesn't have Thunderbolt 2, so you only have DP1.1. Is there any chance you have a friend who has a 2013 MBP Retina? The Late 2013 13" and 15" Retina books have Thunderbolt 2 which supports DP1.2. I want to pull the trigger on 2x U2414H displays, but won't until I know the Thunderbolt daisy chain will work. I also wonder if there an issue using adapters to daisy chain: MBP Retina --> mini displayport cable (thunderbolt cable) --> U2414H MDP input. MDP output --> mini displayport cable (thunderbolt cable) --> U2414H #2 MDP input
ProcFreq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:21 AM   #90
kcwood247
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProcFreq View Post
The problem is that your MBA doesn't have Thunderbolt 2, so you only have DP1.1. Is there any chance you have a friend who has a 2013 MBP Retina? The Late 2013 13" and 15" Retina books have Thunderbolt 2 which supports DP1.2. I want to pull the trigger on 2x U2414H displays, but won't until I know the Thunderbolt daisy chain will work. I also wonder if there an issue using adapters to daisy chain: MBP Retina --> mini displayport cable (thunderbolt cable) --> U2414H MDP input. MDP output --> mini displayport cable (thunderbolt cable) --> U2414H #2 MDP input
Why not just use both Thunderbolt ports on the MBP to connect to two external monitors? Or 1 Thunderbolt and 1 HDMI?

The best I could find was a 2012 MBP with Retina.

---

Anyone feel free to correct me where I'm wrong, I known it's actually way more complicated once you get into the weeds, but:

Display Port
- Display Port (DP) 1.1
- 1, 2, or 4 lanes
- One of 3 fixed rates can be used
- 1.6 Gbps per lane
- 2.7 Gbps per lane
- 5.4 Gbps per lane
- To get this last fixed rate (5.4Gbps), DP1.2 must be enabled
- Once enabled, 1 lane = 5.4 Gbps, 2 lanes = 10.8 Gbps, 4 lanes = 21.6 Gbps (actual throughput is less after overhead is taken off)
- Display Port (DP) 1.2
- Up to 21.6 Gbps
- Daisy chaining / multiple monitor support is only supported on DP1.2
- Backwards compatible with DP1.1 (however, 1.1 devices, if daisy chaining, need to be at the end of the chain)
- No difference between mini-DP or DP except for smaller form factor plug on one end

Thunderbolt
- Combines DP + PCI Express
- 2 Channels: 1 channel @ 10Gbps (each direction) for display
1 channel @ 10Gbps (each direction) for device I/O
- Thunderbolt 2 = Same as Thunderbolt 1, but now you can aggregate both channels for 20Gbps in each direction.

The push for DP1.2 (21.6 Gbps) and/or Thunderbolt 2 (20Gbps) is to support 4K. You need these ports just to connect/run 1 4K monitor.

As for the Dell U2414H's, the max resolution is not quite "Ultra HD" (3840 x 2160 - 8.3 Megapixels), it's still only "Full HD" (1920 x 1080 - 2.1 Megapixels).

How much bandwidth you need depends on set resolution, bits per pixel, refresh rates, compression used, etc.

Assuming 24bits per pixel at 60Hz, two Dell U2414's would at most (theoretically) need around 7.5 Gbps - well within the spec of DP1.1 and Thunderbolt 1.

In many cases, support for DP1.2 is simply a firmware and/or driver update(s).

Personally, I'm using these monitors to hook up my PC. But I thought I'd give it a shot by hooking up my MBA, only to discover it doesn't work. My guess is that the physical pieces are there. And it just needs an update to support. Of course, since it's Apple, I'm sure it'll technically be supported but there will be some restriction on it to get one to buy a 2014 MBP with Thunderbolt 2 or a pair of Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays or some proprietary cables or, most likely, a combination of all of the above.
kcwood247 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:00 PM   #91
Ducati-Rider
macrumors newbie

2013 MacBook air with two external monitor

I read this thread to learn how to get 2 monitors, and wanted to share how I got mine working. I can even play video off the USB 3.0 port.

1. two Dell monitors using DVI. Dell Ultrasharp 2412M and Dell 2414H
2. mini DP/DP -> Dell 2414H
3. Diamond DS3900 USB 3.0 Dock in the usb 3.0 port -> DVI to Dell 2412.

The Diamond also has extra USB 3.0 ports (2) and USB 2.0 ports (4) and ethernet so you gain ports. The Diamond requires you to install 2 software updates as there are issues with the displaylink and Maverick OSX.

The link to the Diamond DS3900 Ultra Dock Dual Video USB 3.0/2.0 Docking Station is here: http://www.diamondmm.com/ds3900-diam...g-station.html

The Maverick issue is described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=354

The beta software solution is described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

Good luck.
Ducati-Rider is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air