Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:13 PM   #26
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canubis View Post
Could you go a bit more in detail about this, please? I am using one of them for backup in my Mac Pro, but also I am using several of them inside 3 WD MyBook Studio (which are used as RAIDs per definition). They are factory built-in there and also it's a hardware RAID system from WD. However, I planned to add 1-2 more of them to my Mac Pro for backup reasons and then use the OS X software RAID to be on the secure side. Not a good idea?
The RAID kept breaking with a RAID integrity error. I thought one or both of the drives was bad, but they work fine individually prior to the RAID and have worked fine for years individually after I stopped using them in RAID. I still use them today.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but Googling found this:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1367904

...which mentions Greens use some sort of frequent "Intellipark" idle method that, perhaps, is bad for RAID on non-Windows operating systems.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro