Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
What is full HD? 1080p?

Apple must need to release iPhone with full HD screen size support to compete to Android devices. Otherwise not sure how they will justify to users without it when they will release new device.

----------

The more offerings a company has, the less they can streamline manufacture ring capabilities. They already have difficulties with Foxxcon and other manufacturers providing enough supply. You want Apple to add more products? How will they know what to order at what quantity?

They need to do this.
People's hands are all sizes. It's kinda weird how they expect one size of phone to be universally preferable to everyone on the planet.

That was narrow thinking and Samsung capitalized on it to gain market share by providing phones with larger screens. The bigger form factor also means more battery life potentially as long as the ratio of screen size/power consumption is not exponential.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
They need to do this.
People's hands are all sizes. It's kinda weird how they expect one size of phone to be universally preferable to everyone on the planet.

That was narrow thinking and Samsung capitalized on it to gain market share by providing phones with larger screens. The bigger form factor also means more battery life potentially as long as the ratio of screen size/power consumption is not exponential.

No. They don't "need" to do this. Not everyone is going to like one thing- that's a given, but they certainly don't "need" to make a bigger screen size for their phones. They WANT to do it because it'll only benefit them. They were doing amazingly with just one size.

I'm glad you mentioned Samsung, but they're not the first to introduce a larger screen size. The first phone to do it was a complete flop. Remember that phone? Me neither. I'm pretty sure a larger screen/phone size was the result and compromise of adding better specs to help Samsung's product's performance and decent battery life. You have it backwards.

calebkingston

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
Seeing how apple caved on the iPad - the now iPad mini - you'd have to be a very cynical person to believe that apple won't release a larger screened iPhone.

I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you STRANGER!

2722325097c6e40b58ccbay5.jpg

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
how many options does the ipad line have again???

2 screen size x 3 capacity size x 2 colors x 2 wifi & lte version.... well thats 24, and that is for both the ipad full size and the mini.

Again, that is for all the ipad. Unless apple would divide the smaller screen iphone as the iphone "mini". I can't see apple to bother with 3 different screen size, what would the screen resolution be?

Right now we have to support 320x480, 640x960 and 640x1136 screen size for the iphone, imagine if they introudce another 2 different screen res.

I'd rather have apple revise the iphone using 1080p res screen and be done with it for the next 3 years.

ZeroGauge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
PA
Would I like it to happen? Absolutely.

Will it happen? I go back and forth. Part of me thinks it can since we've heard just about all the "Apple would never" and "Steve Jobs wouldn't of approved" comments in the past, which Apple proved the pessimists wrong (ie: iPhone 5 leaving the typical 3.5 inch screen for a 4 inch screen, iPad mini, iPod touch getting a bigger size and color selection, etc). With the same breath I do feel that Apple is kinda set in there ways in trying to drag things out with the "S cycles". Hoping for change but won't hold my breath.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
no additional benefit? you look at a 5" at full hd and have a look at a 5" screen at apples resolution and tell me there is no additional benefit. You are saying Apple made stuff incredible but the competition did it for no benefit????????????? stop drinking the apple kool aid. I am an apple fan but fanboys are stupid.

What I meant was pixel density. Of course a bigger screen warrants a higher resolution, but I doubt increasing pixel density from Apple's 360 or so dpi to about 470 will make a noticable difference.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
What I meant was pixel density. Of course a bigger screen warrants a higher resolution, but I doubt increasing pixel density from Apple's 360 or so dpi to about 470 will make a noticable difference.

Well when some companies use different screen technołogy to apples, of course there is a difference. Just because apple told you there isnt doesnt make it fact.

----------

Hell for developers....

Its the consumers that pay $$$$$$ you say its hell, its their job.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
... iveOS 7...

Haha! Sounds like a great (internal) name!

On topic, I still believe the next available line up will just be 4S/5/5S (with whatever enhancements that model may carry). Still 2 screen sizes and 3 (starting) price points. Simple.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
3"? That's a bit small now isn't it? 3.5" is too small for my hands.
Then again I don't know what size hands you have, nevertheless... :D

I am a fairy with a purse full of pixie dust, so I have to carry the phone in my small pockets. I don't want my pockets full of an over sized phone. I want a portable phone.

I'd liked the side of my 4S screen, but it's kind of thick. Slim that down and I'd be happy with a 3.5 inch screen, but 3 inch would be ideal.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
A 3.5 inch new phone would be perfect. But make it powerful, slightly more powerful than the 5 inch version, so the buyers of the ones with the bigger screen can get jealous :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.