Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I was browsing the MacRumors mobile site on my iPhone and was informed I had a message. Clicking it took me to the "Apple Reward Centre" so I could claim my new iPad, if I enter a few details... :rolleyes:

I've attached screencaps. Is this a normal ad or has your hosting service been compromised?

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 263

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was browsing the MacRumors mobile site on my iPhone and was informed I had a message. Clicking it took me to the "Apple Reward Centre" so I could claim my new iPad, if I enter a few details... :rolleyes:

I've attached screencaps. Is this a normal ad or has your hosting service been compromised?

I doubt the ad service has been compromised. But that this ad would be classified as an annoying or inappropriate one.

From the FAQ

What do I do about annoying ads?
MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I as well experienced something like this.

I wasn't sure if it was Macrumors or malware I had gotten on my system. Either way luckily I recognized it looked fishy.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I doubt the ad service has been compromised. But that this ad would be classified as an annoying or inappropriate one.

From the FAQ

What do I do about annoying ads?
MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.

I wouldn't classify it as an 'annoying ad', since the issue is not that it blocks his viewing of the site, but instead is a fake banner from a renown site so that you are enticed to click it. I would classify it as a scam ad since it's clearly trying to get his apple login information for malicious intent.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wouldn't classify it as an 'annoying ad', since the issue is not that it blocks his viewing of the site, but instead is a fake banner from a renown site so that you are enticed to click it. I would classify it as a scam ad since it's clearly trying to get his apple login information for malicious intent.

I understand completely. Either way, the administrators can have it pulled from the ad pool so it doesn't appear on the site again.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I keep getting the facebook bar one - clearly a questionable advert (in a legal sense, not an annoying sense).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.