Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boutrosn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
My dad is going to Canada for a week and I want to get the iPhone 5. Here they are selling the 16GB unit for $1250 (Lebanon, Middle East)
I did a small research and found that the full price of the iPhone 5 in Canadian Apple Store is $708 American dollars

Before buying it, I want to make 110% sure that it would work with the network here. Take into consideration the different network frequency each country use.
In addition, we lately got 3G network, so 4G and LTE are out of the picture. Can i use it on 2G/3G

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
If the carriers in Lebanon support the wireless frequencies that the iPhone uses then yes it would work.

However, you would have to buy an unlocked iPhone and Apple is only selling those online at the moment. I ordered one this week and it's a 3-4 week wait for delivery so I doubt your dad would be able to get one within the week that he is here :/ [although some people are selling new ones on ebay/kijiji]

Boutrosn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Yes it will. I live in Lebanon, bought mine from apple.ca :)

Did you go down to Apple store and bought it or online ? And what model version are you using?
'you could see the model version on the back of the box or my going to Settings, General, About, Version tab. It would apear for example A1429, 10A525'

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Did you go down to Apple store and bought it or online ? And what model version are you using?
'you could see the model version on the back of the box or my going to Settings, General, About, Version tab. It would apear for example A1429, 10A525'

the model doesnt matter to you.

----------

My dad is going to Canada for a week and I want to get the iPhone 5. Here they are selling the 16GB unit for $1250 (Lebanon, Middle East)
I did a small research and found that the full price of the iPhone 5 in Canadian Apple Store is $708 American dollars

Before buying it, I want to make 110% sure that it would work with the network here. Take into consideration the different network frequency each country use.
In addition, we lately got 3G network, so 4G and LTE are out of the picture. Can i use it on 2G/3G

Yes, u can. The iPhone 5 can work on all 3G network (like the iPhone 4S)

the models are to differentiate the 4G modules.
Since 4G is out of the pic, any iPhone 5 will work fine for you.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
You can't go to the store an buy it.
All iPhones sold in stores are locked to the local carriers. You can only order an unlocked phone though the apple website.

Boutrosn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
You can't go to the store an buy it.
All iPhones sold in stores are locked to the local carriers. You can only order an unlocked phone though the apple website.

Why cant i buy it directly of the Canadian retail store ? I've read that they give you the choice either to pay the full proce or get a 2 year contract

murckle

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Why cant i buy it directly of the Canadian retail store ? I've read that they give you the choice either to pay the full proce or get a 2 year contract

You can buy it outright and it will be unlocked. However, most Canadian Apple stores do not have stock so it is unlikely your Dad will be able to buy one when he comes here.

P.S. I wish they were 2 year contracts. Lol.

anonjd

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012

You can't buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5 at any Apple store in Canada because they just don't offer it. You can pay the full price for an iPhone 5, instead of buying it on a two or three year contract, but it will be locked down to one of the Canadian Carriers.

You can only buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple.ca, and like another poster said, it takes 3-4 weeks (I ordered mine on November 18th and it is still processing the order).

Here are your options:
1. Buy a factory unlocked iPhone on sites like eBay, Craigslist, or Kijiji. Last I checked, you can find a 64GB factory unlocked iPhone 5 on these sites for anywhere from $1300 to $1500.
2. Pay full price for a phone at the Apple store that is linked to a carrier and then use one of the unlocking services.

----------

You can buy it outright and it will be unlocked. However, most Canadian Apple stores do not have stock so it is unlikely your Dad will be able to buy one when he comes here.

P.S. I wish they were 2 year contracts. Lol.

When I tell people in the states that we have three year contracts they don't believe me, until they check for themselves.

The Apple store at the Eaton Centre had some in stock, before they closed down for renovations. But, like everyone else is saying, you can't buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5 at any Apple store in Canada, only online.

***EDIT***

I've noticed that a lot of people on eBay, Craigslist, and Kijiji are claiming to be selling factory unlocked iPhone 5s, but really they are from Verizon. Just a heads up.

Last edited:

jabij1

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012

I bought it online and it's A1428, but don't worry about that. Any model will work fine. It's only the LTE that may or may not work, depending on the model.

I believe if you do pay full price in store it is automatically unlocked, that's what I've been hearing. You might be able to find some, just keep calling/checking. My uncle in Montreal has been seeing a lot of them at different apple stores. Try your luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.