Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdogcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hi everyone,

Need advice on a SSD for my 2012 MBP

I would like to replace my 1Tb drive with a SSD with thereabouts the same disk space. Think that's the 960Gb in the SSD world.

First off, what SSD would you say was the best to go for?

Secondly would you say the performance increase is worth it at the current prices? I've seen a Crucial M500 960GB SSD @ £476

Thanks for your help! :)

jorgk

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Hi everyone,

Need advice on a SSD for my 2012 MBP

I would like to replace my 1Tb drive with a SSD with thereabouts the same disk space. Think that's the 960Gb in the SSD world.

First off, what SSD would you say was the best to go for?

Secondly would you say the performance increase is worth it at the current prices? I've seen a Crucial M500 960GB SSD @ £476

Thanks for your help! :)

Why not kick out the DVD/CD drive, take one of the caddies that fits instead, and place two ~500 GB SSDs in a RAID 0 ?
You would get your 1 TB for a cheaper $/GB and (I thought) have speeds exceeding those of the new MacBook Airs ...
:cool:

mrdogcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
I can do that?!

A nice idea but don't think I'm ready to lose the DVD drive just yet... plus it seems a bit extreme just to save a few £££s.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Isn't the only SSD that big the Crucial M500? Makes your choice limited.
I do have a Samsung 840 Pro on sale over in the Marketplace, but its 512GB......

Ever considered a USB3 external drive to offload some of the data?

mrdogcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Yuh, I think you might be right Ifti.

Kinda makes my question rather mute now. :)

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I can do that?!

A nice idea but don't think I'm ready to lose the DVD drive just yet... plus it seems a bit extreme just to save a few £££s.

You can always put the Superdrive in an enclosure -- most folks don't use them that often anyway. If cost is a concern, two smaller drives are probably going to be cheaper than one humongous SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.