Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Doesn't the article mention "Controlled entirely from your iPhone or Android device, Canary alerts you when ..."?

Yes, but often devices marketed to be controlled by smartphones can also be controlled from a computer fairly easily. See the Philips Hue for example - it shipped only with iPhone app support, but people quickly figured out how to access its internal commands via computer. The Belkin Wemo is another example.

4two4

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
What has security got to do with "Temperature, air quality and humidity sensors"? Looks like a concept trying to find a USP. I don't get all the excitement over a product that looks like a re packaged FOSCAM and costs considerably more. The competition has well established security cameras that are universally mountable, i.e. ceilings, outdoors etc and streams to 3G networks and beyond. Unless this device offers something unique (not just fancy packaging) motion tracking perimeter network monitoring or something radically new, I can't see a future for this gizmo. :(

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Meh, Dropcam is already out and proven. I've got several, and so far they've worked great. Two way audio as well. If I need to know the temps in my two homes, I'll check with my Nests.

I will say that being able to monitor your homes yourself is somewhat comforting, though I have ADT in both as well. I prefer to have the professionals show up should fire/intrusion happen.

MikeIsAUser

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
Misleading

I think the video is very misleading. It shows the device standing wireless on the counter. The idea is for you to be able to see what is going on while away implies it will be running for hours without direct power. Wireless devices use a lot of power - I can't see this small unit running very long without needing to be recharged. It might be good for 8 hrs, but if you are away for more than a day, I don't think it will work - unless they are feeding the power cable through a hole under the table.

TheDrunkLamb

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
London
One small issue...

Wouldn't a burglar just walk in and pull the plug on the router? Or am I assuming they are that intelligent?

jenniehaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
Nice security device for the iphone users. Hoping similar device would be available soon for the android users. We android users have to use traditional home and hotel safes and alarms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.