Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I received the front glass replacement for my 4S I ordered off of eBay. I got online and did some searches for how to replace it only to discover most of the tutorials ended with them holding an LCD screen in their hand. Was I scammed? Should I request a refund and report them to eBay?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I received the front glass replacement for my 4S I ordered off of eBay. I got online and did some searches for how to replace it only to discover most of the tutorials ended with them holding an LCD screen in their hand. Was I scammed? Should I request a refund and report them to eBay?

I've heard it's possible to replace just the glass/digitizer but it's very difficult and everything I've seen recommends replacing all three as a unit. (I've never done it so someone correct me if I'm wrong). Considering it sounds like you make a mistake and bought exactly what they were selling I don't see why you would request a refund and report them. Or is my assumption incorrect and the item was listed as glass/digitizer/LCD?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I've heard it's possible to replace just the glass/digitizer but it's very difficult and everything I've seen recommends replacing all three as a unit. (I've never done it so someone correct me if I'm wrong). Considering it sounds like you make a mistake and bought exactly what they were selling I don't see why you would request a refund and report them. Or is my assumption incorrect and the item was listed as glass/digitizer/LCD?

No it was listed as full replacement package for the front glass. Even if it were just the glass that's still completely dishonest and misleading to sell something that unless you are a professional can't be replaced

anthonyfellows

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Isn't it only two pieces? Glass and LCD Touch Digitizer? I've replaced several for Iphone 4's, but I've always bought replacements that were fused together. Never bought glass only, but I've seen people selling them like that.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Probably a scam...

On the iPhone 4,4s,5 the screen and digitizer/lcd display are fused together. It is impossible to replace only the glass without replacing the digitizer without destroying the digitizer and/or the glass.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
On the iPhone 4,4s,5 the screen and digitizer/lcd display are fused together. It is impossible to replace only the glass without replacing the digitizer without destroying the digitizer and/or the glass.

Exactly, so I did get ripped off and that seller was completely dishonest. Thanks for the info, I am requesting a full refund and reporting the issue.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Exactly, so I did get ripped off and that seller was completely dishonest. Thanks for the info, I am requesting a full refund and reporting the issue.

Maybe it's better to hold your horses with the reporting and ask the seller what can be done nicely. It's your own fault after all.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

Without you posting a link to the eBay listing it sounds like didn't know exactly what you were buying, assumed one thing and got another. In no way does that mean that you got ripped off or that the seller was dishonest. Things like this happen everyday. If I am wrong please post a link to the eBay listing so I can be corrected.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Without you posting a link to the eBay listing it sounds like didn't know exactly what you were buying, assumed one thing and got another. In no way does that mean that you got ripped off or that the seller was dishonest. Things like this happen everyday. If I am wrong please post a link to the eBay listing so I can be corrected.

None of that is relevant, all that matters here is that the seller is knowingly listing something that is completely unusable and after checking his feedback it appears dozens share my frustration and have said it was dishonest and misleading.

Most average consumers haven't the first clue how an iPhone is put together, and therefore buy it thinking it will work.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Some people prefer to buy their screens separately. After all, there are a lot of 3rd party manufacturers out there and the quality between them varies massively.

propalitet

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
For 4 and 4s it should be possible with a heat gun, but very difficult. You should've researched before you bought it. So nobody scammed you, unless he wrote it's display and digitizer together.
For 5 no idea, they use new displays.

jeep92

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
They didn't scam you. You bought the whole front glass to replace your broken iPhone. You should of bought the front glass with the lcd and digitizer. It's an easy mistake and they shouldn't even sell just the glass.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
They didn't scam you. You bought the whole front glass to replace your broken iPhone. You should of bought the front glass with the lcd and digitizer. It's an easy mistake and they shouldn't even sell just the glass.

We're just playing semantics here. If someone is selling something that leads others to believe it can be used when it can't, it's a scam.

Why else are dozens of people complaining?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
None of that is relevant, all that matters here is that the seller is knowingly listing something that is completely unusable and after checking his feedback it appears dozens share my frustration and have said it was dishonest and misleading.

Most average consumers haven't the first clue how an iPhone is put together, and therefore buy it thinking it will work.

Dont you think you have a little responsibility in this too?
Its not the sellers job to teach you how to replace screens or what is easy and what's not.
Its not impossible to do just very very hard.
He's just selling a part and you bought it with zero knowleadge and now ask questions after and blame the seller.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

I understand that you're frustrated, but it's ur own fault. U classify urself as an "average consumer" who has no idea how an iPhone is put together. Then u get online and buy a part without a clue about what ur buying. I'd be willing to bet that the listing is correct and ur the one who screwed up. It's not the sellers responsibility to make sure u know what ur doing. As long as u got what was listed on eBay, the seller isn't the bad guy, nor should he be reported.

Post a link to the listing so we can see what it says. That'll solve everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.