Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
OK, I was reading in another thread in here that student discounts were saving people like $2-3-400 since they are getting a % of total price discount.. When I go on to apples site and click the education discount link I only get $100 off?

What am I missing?
:confused::confused:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 254

braddicted2mac

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Canada
OK, I was reading in another thread in here that student discounts were saving people like $2-3-400 since they are getting a % of total price discount.. When I go on to apples site and click the education discount link I only get $100 off?

What am I missing?

thats all I got too. 100$ off I never heard of anything more unless there is a special program for certain schools apple has deals with

MacCruiZe

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
additional discounts from upgrades?

Yes. I considered ordering from a reseller to avoid the tax, but it turns out that from Apple Edu was cheaper as there was a discount on all of the upgrades i got also. 3T Fusion was only $360 vs 400 retail - processor was less, video card was only $135 vs 150 i think... it turned out that I saved more with Edu vs what the tax would be.

but you're right, the computer itself is only $100 less with EDU. - my BTO was about $180 less than retail. 3.4/ 3Tfusion/ 680mx- stock ram

metssuck

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012

What am I missing?

What you are missing is that each option is discounted, for example I ordered the 3TB Fusion for $360 through the education but it would have been $400 through the normal site.

Applecare also was a big difference for me, it was $119 through education store and $169 through normal

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
What you are missing is that each option is discounted, for example I ordered the 3TB Fusion for $360 through the education but it would have been $400 through the normal site.

Applecare also was a big difference for me, it was $119 through education store and $169 through normal

Oooooh ok I see now ... thanks for clearing that up :D

Grockel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Devon, UK
I purchased (over the phone) a top spec iMac with BTO options and applecare for my daughter using her UK National Union of Students card to get the higher education discount.

Taking the whole package I believe I they gave me a 15.4% discount. This breaks down into
- 12% off the computer and BTO options, and
- 67% off Applecare

(the baseline education discount is 6% and 33% respectively)

Hope that helps

janisar

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Here in Switzerland they have the EDU Store and the Apple on Campus (AoC) store, where you get an bigger discount even though both stores are for students.
Maybe there is one in you country too...

maehara

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
UK likewise - there's the Higher Education National Contract which gives a higher discount and better warranty terms than the 'standard' Education Store. Very handy. :)

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
maehara said:
there's the Higher Education National Contract which gives a higher discount
Its the same in Austria. There is an even higher discount (16%) on MacBooks two times per year for a limited time and only for some universities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.