Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherrypik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
I'm looking for opinions on either one of these setups. I currently have a iphone 5 and ipad3 and wanted to airplay to my hdtv. Can I just purchased and hook up the lightning av adapter to the iphone 5 and it will work like the ATV3? What advantages does the atv3 have over the iphone 5? I really don't purchase movies from itunes and will most likely airplay them from my computer through my phone to the hdtv or slingbox it from my other tv.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
DO u know if the video quality would be the same?

Say I hook up my iphone 5 to the HDT with the av adapter can I control it with my IPAD3?
ATV3 likely higher quality, but probably good enough either way.

Not that I know of.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
DO u know if the video quality would be the same?

Say I hook up my iphone 5 to the HDT with the av adapter can I control it with my IPAD3?

ATV is the best solution. Picture quality when streaming is perfect, and it even allows you to screen share from iOS and mountain lion if your hardware supports it. I regularly display from my MBA to my ATV, and also use airplay to stream from my phone or iPad to the ATV. Much less fuss than fumbling to plug cables in.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
ATV3 likely higher quality, but probably good enough either way.

There isn't any quality problem with the HDMI output of iOS devices. (Haven't tested the iPhone 5 in this regard, "only" models with the older dock connector and both the HDMI and the VGA adapters.) Plus,

- they support playing back far higher (well over 20 Mbps) bitrates AND even 60p stuff, unlike the ATV3. Even prev-gen models (iPad 3, iPhone 4s, iPad Mini) are far better in this respect.

- they support playing back any video format

- if you get a model that can be / is JB'n (the iPad 3 and the iPhone 4S are the best in this respect, both running 5.1.1), you can run XBMC, with hardware acceleration for a lot of (internally H.264) video container formats.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
The way AirPlay works on Apple TV is that when you send for example a YouTube clip to the TV, it actually grabs the YouTube URL so there is no re-compression.

When you send a video from the iPhone to Apple TV, it streams the file directly via WiFi, so there is no quality loss.

Apple TV is more versatile because you can use any iOS device. It has Netflix on it and many other features such as grabbing your local iTunes database and playing it off that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.