Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It's not even that it's 4" it's the fact that it is just a stretched out 4" being as wide as their 3.5" devices.

----------

Agree, I will wait until the next redesign and then see if it is worth upgrading to.

That might never come, look at the mac pro, imac, ipod...

----------

The industry's maturing. Unless you think adding an inch to a display is innovation, I'm afraid you're not going to see any huge leaps like the iPhone 4, and if you do, you'll see them less frequently.

You only need to look at what's happening with Android to realize that... Someone (LG?) actually made a commercial promoting the ability to see a video and text at the same time. Or Samsung, and their heavy promotion of their NFC tech where people embarrassingly make their phones "kiss" to transfer data. Android's last 2 releases' most signficant features were essentially a Siri knock-off and Miracast, an Airplay clone, only 3 years behind.

Nfc is embarrassing? Lol being able to transfer data instantly is pretty cool to the rest of the world. Or do you not read consumer reports where they listed the gs3 number 1 and the ip5 number 2? Apple has a nice build quality but not much else currently.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I am not seeing why some of you continue to defend what apple is doing.

You just need to look at 2 things
1)Did you see apple again missing the revenue forecast ??

2)DId you see SAmmy's record quarter?

What the hell are you defending apple for ? Are some of you blind?
They are missing the opportunity left and right.. Their philosophy is to stick w/ one phone size and releasing 1 phone every 2 years.. It doesn't work man.. Wake the hell up there.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
That might never come, look at the mac pro, imac, ipod...

----------

Nfc is embarrassing? Lol being able to transfer data instantly is pretty cool to the rest of the world. Or do you not read consumer reports where they listed the gs3 number 1 and the ip5 number 2? Apple has a nice build quality but not much else currently.
Well the Mac, iPod line are different and don't really need new designs

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Actually, if they do well, some of the shoveled money goes back to me as an AAPL stockholder, and I'm all for that.

You are absolutely correct that Apple makes (used to make?) its owners happy. Individuals like you account for a relatively small proportion of Apple's ownership interests, however. The big Hedge Funds and Mutual Funds and Pension funds on Wall Street own more than twice the amount of stock as people like you.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
Cars were revolutionary. Fast forward 100 years and they still have 4 wheels, doors and a windshield.

Oh wow, the abaility of blind fanatics to rewrite the facts is stunning.

100 years of cars. Electric starters, seatbelts, electronic fuel injection, hydrolic brakes, rack and pinion and then hydrolic steering. Seatbelts, air bags. Windshield wipers, then intermittant ones. Comfort features like radios and satellite radios, heated and cooled seats, air conditioning, rear window defrosters. Crumple zones, power windows and locks. Keyless entry. Headlights. Automatic transmission. Turn signals. Cruise control. 10,000 other things you take for granted every time you sit in a car. It has been 100 years of continuous evolution and innovation that hasn't slowed for a second. Modern day features like crash mitigation, rear and blind spot sensors are just rolling out now. Future research autonomous vehicles and countless ideas the car makers are working on now.

And cellphones have been a continous non-stop stream of evolution from the first briefcase phones to the old bricks to the motorola flipphones.....every single year for the last 30 years has brought major innovation until we're at the galaxy s3 and iPhone 5. 2013 is just one page in a very large book that's only just being written and at this rate apple won't even be a footnote in 2014 as they're left in everyone else's dust.

For you to be able to say it's a mature product and then use cars as an analogy shows an amazing, stunning blind ignorance to the past and present, and no imagination about the future.

Let's follow your logic and close the patent office because there's nothing left to invent.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Oh wow, the abaility of blind fanatics to rewrite the facts is stunning.

100 years of cars. Electric starters, seatbelts, electronic fuel injection, hydrolic brakes, rack and pinion and then hydrolic steering. Seatbelts, air bags. Windshield wipers, then intermittant ones. Comfort features like radios and satellite radios, heated and cooled seats, air conditioning, rear

You missed my point entirely. Which was, exactly as you say, that we're in the refinement/evolutionary phase with smart phones. And that people shouldn't be disappointed when the iphone 6 isn't groundbreaking.

kimvette

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
I guess Tim Cook thinks that Apple can skate on the past successes of iPhone and iPad. As you can see, Apple has done nothing interesting since the passing of Steve Jobs. The market is changing and Apple is losing some of its luster among consumers. Apple desperately needs a "one last thing"...

FWIW, I'm still holding out. I've got the iPhone 4. What I really want is an 128GB iPhone (or an SD slot) so I can re-rip my entire CD collection to a higher bit rate and fit ALL of it on my iPhone with space to spare for apps, Futurama episodes, and a handful of movies - a bigger, higher-resolution screen would be nice for reading books (I stick to .PDFs since they are device- and platform-independent). The other two things I want are a faster processor, and a higher-capacity battery (which would be enabled by a larger screen requiring a larger chassis).

OS upgrades? Unless the updates will include SBSSettings plus a bash shell with full BSD userland (which is what I jailbreak for - shell scripts on my phone for maintaining servers for the win!) I like iOS as is. Some have suggested Android to me, but honestly on the Phone form factor, I prefer iOS (ideally jailbroken). On a tablet-size device, I much prefer Android.

Is Apple falling behind? Aside from screen size (which is a major feature of the Galaxy S III), I don't think so. iPhone is reliable, offers decent performance, great battery life, decent reception (even despite Antennagate my iPhone4 is vastly superior to previous phones I've owned, including the 3GS), and it takes a beating (I've literally run mine over with my car - with only a couple of scratches on the screen to show for it. I don't understand how people break the screen so easily).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.