Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 20, 2015, 01:51 PM   #1726
GanChan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Raleigh Venture 7-speed. Nothing special, but it gets the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RA14_Venture_M_dkblue.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	542444  
GanChan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:34 AM   #1727
Kristjan1988
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maribor, Slovenia
And here is my old bike, not safe to ride long distances on it, but still work well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	542847
Kristjan1988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2015, 05:04 AM   #1728
ksz
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabooly View Post
That thing, my friend, is beautiful.
Thank you! I remember the day those Zipp Firecrests were installed along with red-rimmed Michelin Pro Course tires. Changed the look entirely; guys at the bike shop snapped their own pics! Made me feel like a Ferrari owner
ksz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:54 AM   #1729
smwatson
macrumors 6502a
 
smwatson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksz View Post
Thank you! I remember the day those Zipp Firecrests were installed along with red-rimmed Michelin Pro Course tires. Changed the look entirely; guys at the bike shop snapped their own pics! Made me feel like a Ferrari owner
It's a lovely looking bike. You look to have a very relaxed riding position for some very racy components though. How long are your 'typical' rides?
__________________
13" AluBook, 2.4GhZ C2D, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD | 16GB LG GPad 8.3 | 32GB Nexus 5
smwatson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:51 AM   #1730
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a
 
Nabooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Cannonade Quick 6

Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2015, 03:43 PM   #1731
ksz
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smwatson View Post
It's a lovely looking bike. You look to have a very relaxed riding position for some very racy components though. How long are your 'typical' rides?
A typical ride is 50 miles with about 3500 aggregate feet of climbing. This is a Roubaix with dampeners in the fork and seat stays for a smoother ride. The riding position is comfort-oriented as you can see from the compact frame and the angle of the handle bars. Being my first road bike, I prioritized comfort over raw speed.
ksz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:08 AM   #1732
Heavy Fluid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Took this:



Stripped the parts off, for this:



The Jamis was a commuter/fun bike, and the Felt will be the same.
The Felt rides really nicely on the street which is surprising. Going to swap out the Vittoria Rubino slick 23's for a set of Gatorskin 23's soon. It weighs in at 16lbs, 11oz which puts a huge smile on my face.
Heavy Fluid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015, 05:56 AM   #1733
durtgeek
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
My new bike love....Wilier Imperiele - I'm so in love with it! Italian style and class all the way...Campy Chrorus/Record.....rides like a dream!


durtgeek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1734
Runqen
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
Took this:

Image

Stripped the parts off, for this:

Image

The Jamis was a commuter/fun bike, and the Felt will be the same.
The Felt rides really nicely on the street which is surprising. Going to swap out the Vittoria Rubino slick 23's for a set of Gatorskin 23's soon. It weighs in at 16lbs, 11oz which puts a huge smile on my face.

I really love the look of that kind of bikes, but i dont really get them.

It's a single speed if im not misstaken?
You use it for commuting, like ride to work and back? Summer only or all year?

I'd like to get a bike like that, but it feels wierd, like a supersport bike with only one gear. Can you even ride it wearing jeans, for example? Isnt the riding position unpractical if you have to stop from time to time, like at redlights or such?

Please, enlighten me. I want to get a bike like that just for the looks of it. But, since it seems to be a popular kind of bike there must be more to it.
Runqen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 04:21 PM   #1735
BlakeBrattina
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast Michigan
I just finished up my big project for a 1978 Fuji Special Tourer teardown from that my father-in-law had laying around. Complete overhaul into a nice new fixie. Geeked about the result

__________________
RiMac 27" | MacBook Air | iPad Air 2 | iPad Mini | iPhone | Apple TV
BlakeBrattina is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 05:00 PM   #1736
Illuminated
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Denver
Send a message via AIM to Illuminated
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeBrattina View Post
I just finished up my big project for a 1978 Fuji Special Tourer teardown from that my father-in-law had laying around. Complete overhaul into a nice new fixie. Geeked about the result

Image
Love the tan handlebar tape/seat and dark green frame. It works!
__________________
Gnome sayin'?
Illuminated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 05:36 PM   #1737
BlakeBrattina
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post
Love the tan handlebar tape/seat and dark green frame. It works!
Thank you, sir! Went out on a stretch with all random components, the front race wheel v. rear standard fixie. I love it so far!
__________________
RiMac 27" | MacBook Air | iPad Air 2 | iPad Mini | iPhone | Apple TV
BlakeBrattina is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015, 09:21 PM   #1738
Heavy Fluid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runqen View Post
I really love the look of that kind of bikes, but i dont really get them.

It's a single speed if im not misstaken?
You use it for commuting, like ride to work and back? Summer only or all year?

I'd like to get a bike like that, but it feels wierd, like a supersport bike with only one gear. Can you even ride it wearing jeans, for example? Isnt the riding position unpractical if you have to stop from time to time, like at redlights or such?

Please, enlighten me. I want to get a bike like that just for the looks of it. But, since it seems to be a popular kind of bike there must be more to it.
Both bikes were/are fixed gear, so single speed of sorts with only one gear, but there is no freewheel to coast. If the rear wheel moves, the pedals move.

I do commute to work on one of my fixed gear bikes as long as it is not raining, snowing, or icy out. I guess I am a fair weather commuter for the most part. I do have a fat bike for the snow/ice. This year I have accrued just shy of 1300 miles so far, including commutes to work and fun rides. Most of these have been on a fixed gear bike.

You can easily ride it wearing jeans, although jeans are some of the most uncomfortable things you can wear while riding. The crotch/butt area tends to wear out extremely fast if you have a lot of saddle time. Simply secure the right pant leg either with a strap or by rolling it up so that it avoids the chain because you do not want to get that caught in the chain.

Once you get the cockpit of the bike set to your needs, it is actually very comfortable. I rode the black Felt 30 miles today with only one short stop on a charity ride supporting the local hospice. I had previously done 59 miles last year on a similar ride on a fixed gear bike as well.

You can get a bike like this and run it as a single speed, you would just need a wheel that has a flip flop hub or is a dedicated single speed. One thing about that though, with some of the bikes, is that they are not set up to run a rear brake. Neither fixed gear bike that I have will take one. If you decide to go single speed, having a front and rear brake is really ideal. With a fixed gear, the rear wheel will act as a brake as you pedal backwards to slow down in conjunction with a front brake.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!
Heavy Fluid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015, 08:04 AM   #1739
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a
 
Nabooly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
Both bikes were/are fixed gear, so single speed of sorts with only one gear, but there is no freewheel to coast. If the rear wheel moves, the pedals move.

I do commute to work on one of my fixed gear bikes as long as it is not raining, snowing, or icy out. I guess I am a fair weather commuter for the most part. I do have a fat bike for the snow/ice. This year I have accrued just shy of 1300 miles so far, including commutes to work and fun rides. Most of these have been on a fixed gear bike.

You can easily ride it wearing jeans, although jeans are some of the most uncomfortable things you can wear while riding. The crotch/butt area tends to wear out extremely fast if you have a lot of saddle time. Simply secure the right pant leg either with a strap or by rolling it up so that it avoids the chain because you do not want to get that caught in the chain.

Once you get the cockpit of the bike set to your needs, it is actually very comfortable. I rode the black Felt 30 miles today with only one short stop on a charity ride supporting the local hospice. I had previously done 59 miles last year on a similar ride on a fixed gear bike as well.

You can get a bike like this and run it as a single speed, you would just need a wheel that has a flip flop hub or is a dedicated single speed. One thing about that though, with some of the bikes, is that they are not set up to run a rear brake. Neither fixed gear bike that I have will take one. If you decide to go single speed, having a front and rear brake is really ideal. With a fixed gear, the rear wheel will act as a brake as you pedal backwards to slow down in conjunction with a front brake.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!
Just wanted to say those both are beautiful bikes! If I may ask though what is the purpose of those "rims" (not sure what they are actually called). Do they assist in better aerodynamics or something? They sure do look great.
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015, 10:30 AM   #1740
Heavy Fluid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabooly View Post
Just wanted to say those both are beautiful bikes! If I may ask though what is the purpose of those "rims" (not sure what they are actually called). Do they assist in better aerodynamics or something? They sure do look great.
Thank you very much. The red wheel isn't that deep, just a 30mm deep V. It does help a little with aerodynamics, but overall, not that much. They appear to be bigger than they are since they are red. My other bike has a similar depth wheel but since they are black, they don't look that big. I should post a picture with the extra front wheel that I sometimes use. That is deep.
Heavy Fluid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015, 12:56 PM   #1741
lexdiamonnyc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
My summer commuter...2007 Cannonade Bad Boy.

lexdiamonnyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015, 07:42 PM   #1742
rhythmac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
Took this:

Image

Stripped the parts off, for this:

Image

The Jamis was a commuter/fun bike, and the Felt will be the same.
The Felt rides really nicely on the street which is surprising. Going to swap out the Vittoria Rubino slick 23's for a set of Gatorskin 23's soon. It weighs in at 16lbs, 11oz which puts a huge smile on my face.
Hey Heavy Fluid, are you on BikeForums?
__________________
13" MBPr | 16GB RAM | 512GB
rhythmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015, 10:21 PM   #1743
John.B
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Holocene Epoch
Quote:
Originally Posted by smwatson View Post
It's a lovely looking bike. You look to have a very relaxed riding position for some very racy components though. How long are your 'typical' rides?
Let me guess, "Slam that stem?"

Did I take a wrong turn at Albuquerque and wind up at BikeForum?
__________________
"Other men are lenses through which we read our own minds." -- Emerson
MD388LL/A MG632LL/A ME344LL/A MD199LL/A MC572LL/A MD481LL/A FB463LL/A FC060LL/A
John.B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015, 02:34 PM   #1744
Heavy Fluid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmac View Post
Hey Heavy Fluid, are you on BikeForums?
I am on that forum as well.
Heavy Fluid is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS X: Star Wars Empire at War - Picture-in-picture GFX Glitch swwack91 Mac and PC Games 7 May 15, 2014 07:04 AM
Top Bike - stunt bike racing game [Universal] bryanhsu iPhone and iPod touch Apps 8 Feb 19, 2014 02:21 AM
Top Bike, stunt bike racing game bryanhsu iPad Apps 5 Jul 29, 2013 01:29 AM
Bike On - Voice guided navigation for bike riders soch iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 May 2, 2013 12:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC