Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I´m guessing a DSLR like Canon 7D, as the lens used is quite wide and you wouldn´t be able to get that shallow depth of field with a normal video camera

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I´m guessing a DSLR like Canon 7D, as the lens used is quite wide and you wouldn´t be able to get that shallow depth of field with a normal video camera

isnt a canon t3i capable of that kind of shallow depth of field?

for example this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IFjBAYnQsk&feature=plcp says he uses a canon t3i rebel, and other than the poor lighting and the unblurred background the video quality looks relatively comparable

is there any way a canon t3i rebel would produce a result like the first link i posted?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
isnt a canon t3i capable of that kind of shallow depth of field?

Of course it is as it has the same-sized APS-C sensor as the 7D. Assuming you use a long(ish) meaning at least 75mm equiv, bright lens. Fortunately, the inexpensive 50/1.8 lenses are pretty good for video shooting when it comes to shallow DoF.

(Of course, it'd be considerably shallower if you went full frame instead, assuming the same equiv. focal length and brightness.)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Hi
To get a shallow depth of field ( background out of focus) you need a lens with a small F stop l, like 1.4-2 for example. These lenses are more expensive than the bundle deals normally. I'll post more when I'm sober. Good night

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Hi
To get a shallow depth of field ( background out of focus) you need a lens with a small F stop l, like 1.4-2 for example. These lenses are more expensive than the bundle deals normally. I'll post more when I'm sober. Good night

what about an 18-55mm lens?

on amazon the body alone sells for 600 whereas the body+18-55mm lens is 650.

if im primarily going to be using this cam for vlogging should i just buy the body alone with the 1.4-2 lens?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
The 18-55 probably has a F stop from 3.5-5.6. The lower the F number the less light a lens need AND the lower the F number the blurrier your back ground will be (what is called Depth of Field). For a videoblogg you can do fine with the kit lens for a start, but the background won't be too blurred. Another thing that plays a big part is how far away you sit from your background. If you sit right up against the wall it's very difficult to blur the background. Lthe twins sits quite far from the background do that helps.

And I think a The Canon Rebel would produce very similar results. It's a great starter camera. Get it with the kit lens and later you can by a "faster" lens (one with a lower F number)

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
The image is pretty sharp, and in the first shot the iMac on the background is pretty close to them. So I guess they used a wide lens, something like the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 lens.

For the rest, you can tell they did some great lighting and colour grading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.