Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Stella
macrumors 603

Join multiple .Mov files

Hi

I have several projects in iMovie - but I want to join all the project files into one .Mov movie for iDVDl

How can I do this - since iDVD won't join all the separate movie files into one.

I found having separate iMovie projects easy editing, rather than one monolefic (spelling ) project.

A free and automatic method would be ideal, but overall, I'm looking for a way to do this without having to register / buy.

Thanks,
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:51 PM   #2
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

There might be simpler ways to do this. I rarely do this myself. Anyway, this should work.

QuickTime 7 Pro lets you edit movies. In your case, you would open both movies, select one time line and select all then copy then move to the other movie, put the insertion indicator at the end of the movie and paste. Then you'd save the movie with the option to make it a self contained movie.

QuickTime X is supposed to have this feature, I haven't tried it with movies though I have edited audio this way.

If you do this a lot you might be able to put together an AppleScript that would join several movies using QuickTime.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 03:47 AM   #3
xStep
macrumors 68000

A free way is to export each clip as a high quality video and then re-import them and apply them to a new project.
xStep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Stella
macrumors 603

Thanks to the replies above.

I did more searching for a free solution, and found this ( direct download )
http://www.videohelp.com/download/MP...pWindows12.zip

MPEGStream - works with multiple formats, including .MOV

So far, it seems to do the job well :-)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
burner72450
macrumors newbie

when you put your individual .mov files into iMovie did you try to export them to iDvd? this is how i merge all my clips together to make my movies. i film concerts as a hobby, and my files always end up in multiple .mov or other formats. i just bring them up in iMovie, do what i have to do with chapters and such, then export to iDvd, or whatever program i wish to use. iDvd works the best for me. hope i could help.
burner72450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 07:21 AM   #6
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner72450 View Post
when you put your individual .mov files into iMovie did you try to export them to iDvd? this is how i merge all my clips together to make my movies. i film concerts as a hobby, and my files always end up in multiple .mov or other formats. i just bring them up in iMovie, do what i have to do with chapters and such, then export to iDvd, or whatever program i wish to use. iDvd works the best for me. hope i could help.
I exported to Media Library first. I tried exporting but I couldn't add them later to my iDVD project. Instead, I exported to Media Library and then added them to iDVD, which treated them as individual movies.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:54 AM   #7
superdiaos
macrumors newbie

hi, I know some freeware also supports to join multiple format videos into one. Freemake(freemake.com) is such a great software, completely free. I have been using it for long time for merging videos. have a try.
superdiaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:14 AM   #8
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quicktime will append a video file to the end of the current open file. You just do this for each file then save the result. You already have QT on your computer.

The trouble is that ALL these methods will re-encode the video and you get some loss. The best way is to Work completely in iMovie (or Final Cut) so you transcode only once
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:52 PM   #9
KeithPratt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
The trouble is that ALL these methods will re-encode the video and you get some loss.
Not sure about Quicktime X, but Quicktime 7 Pro and MPEG Streamclip will both combine two videos without re-encoding.
KeithPratt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Journojulz
macrumors 65816

Quicktime 7 is indeed the tool for the job.

mark in and out times and you can cut and paste to your hearts content.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video