Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:12 PM   #926
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Mortgage $1,150
Health Insurance $1,200
Car Insurance $116
Kids Therapy $1000
Kids School $1000

So that's $4,500 per month before gas, food, utilities. I could let my kid not get the help he needs, but that's not really an option. I could not in any way imagine living on $3,000 a month even without the kid without some major life changes. I don't know how people do it.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:03 AM   #927
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Mortgage $1,150
Health Insurance $1,200
Car Insurance $116
Kids Therapy $1000
Kids School $1000

So that's $4,500 per month before gas, food, utilities. I could let my kid not get the help he needs, but that's not really an option. I could not in any way imagine living on $3,000 a month even without the kid without some major life changes. I don't know how people do it.
Hold on, if you are making the lower amount you don't have to pay the health insurance or therapy as you will be on Medicaid. There are public schools. So you are down to the mortgage and car insurance. Maybe you can rent and cut that down.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 05:51 PM   #928
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Depends on where you're at. I don't know the cost of living in New York state, but I know it's fairly high in NYC. There, I could see $36,000 a year as being a little on the low end. Same with the west coast. But in the south, and most of the midwestern states? While you wouldn't be living a life in extreme luxury, you'd be pretty comfortable. It wouldn't work for a family, but a single person, or both spouses in a marriage contributing that amount, could get by with that no problem.
No doubt. $36k a year is a decent wage for a single person. You wouldn't be living the life of luxury by any means but you'd be able to pay the bills and still have some money over to save and also have a bit of fun.

Of course, $36,000 a year at full time is $18 an hour which is more than double minimum wage. It's pretty much the ballpark of an entry-level skilled "career" job.
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 06:34 PM   #929
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post

Of course, $36,000 a year at full time is $18 an hour which is more than double minimum wage. It's pretty much the ballpark of an entry-level skilled "career" job.
Even that depends on where you live. In many parts of California, you would have to find a roommate to live on that.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 06:51 PM   #930
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Hold on, if you are making the lower amount you don't have to pay the health insurance or therapy as you will be on Medicaid.
We are using government services for one of his therapy providers. It's not very good, and it's only one hour per week. To get him better help, we need to pay for it.

Quote:
There are public schools.
Yes, there are. When he's old enough to qualify for them, and can get into a school which has the right programs. If we want the help now, it's on us. You seem to think this is all easy and we just haven't thought about it.

Quote:
So you are down to the mortgage and car insurance. Maybe you can rent and cut that down.
If we were to sell our house right now and rent instead, we'd have to pony up about $25,000 as our mortgage is underwater, but thanks for your help. I know, we made a bad choice and we need to own it.

Of course, I don't make $3,000 a month, but even at what I do make, which is more than double that, it's tough.

You think you have all the answers, that you've figured it all out, and that no one else understands. But sometimes, you are just plain wrong and uninformed. Why? Because you don't know everyone's situation like you think you do.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues