Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phearx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Just as the title says, I've unlocked my iphone 5 with ATT does anyone have any idea if it will work with Sprint's 3g?

Tallguy93

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Just as the title says, I've unlocked my iphone 5 with ATT does anyone have any idea if it will work with Sprint's 3g?

It won't work on sprint or verizon at all because it doesn't have the CDMA radio sprint requires.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nope.
Sprint will never activate it on their network.
They only allow Sprint iphones. Same with Verizon, they wont allow it on their network.
Your unlocked AT&T iphone 5 will work with any GSM carrier.
Key word here is GSM. NOT CDMA networks.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
There's nothing at all you can do to make a non-Sprint iPhone work on Sprint's network. Nothing.

Same goes for Verizon and non-Verizon iPhones. There's no way to make it work on Verizon's network. None.

In either of these two scenarios, your only real option is to sell the phone and purchase a new one.

An iPhone 5 from any carrier, if SIM-unlocked, will run on T-Mobile but only insofar as GSM 2G (and 3G/3.5G in select areas only). I do not believe it will run on T-Mobile's LTE network at all. Same goes for the various MVNOs.

All iPhone 5's have "world-compatible" GSM chips which will work on compatible 2G and 3G networks, though not all iPhone 5's are SIM-unlocked. Verizon's iPhone 5 is SIM-unlocked from the factory. Sprint's I'm not sure about - they may be locked to domestic carriers and unlocked to foreign carriers. AT&T iPhone 5's are locked and you'll need to get them to unlock it for you (requires your contract to be completed and account in good standing). You can buy factory-unlocked iPhones for full retail price.

Do not expect an iPhone 5 to work on any LTE network but it's "home" network. Each model is specifically set for certain LTE bands and if you don't have the proper band set on your phone, there's no way to get LTE service (or change bands for that matter).

kevintech

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
An iPhone 5 from any carrier, if SIM-unlocked, will run on T-Mobile but only insofar as GSM 2G (and 3G/3.5G in select areas only). I do not believe it will run on T-Mobile's LTE network at all. Same goes for the various MVNOs.

Do not expect an iPhone 5 to work on any LTE network but it's "home" network. Each model is specifically set for certain LTE bands and if you don't have the proper band set on your phone, there's no way to get LTE service (or change bands for that matter).

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/37566?noredirect=true

mattoly

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Phearx: I'm in the opposite boat. I've got a Sprint iPhone 5 I'm trying to make work on AT&T. would you consider a trade that would give us both what we want? feel free to private message me.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
He wants to trade with the OP.
I'd also list it on CL for a trade to an iphone of whatever company you want to switch to.
People leave and switch from carrier to carrier so you might find someone that will find your sprint iphone usefull or viseversa.

Aha and it's all clear now:p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…Verizon's iPhone 5 is SIM-unlocked from the factory. Sprint's I'm not sure about - they may be locked to domestic carriers and unlocked to foreign carriers.…
Sprints iPhones are NEVER unlocked. Before Sprint ditched contracts any full price Sprint iPhone was simply contract-free. Lots of people got tripped up by this and thought it was unlocked. Since Sprint iPhones tend to be cheaper precisely because Sprint will NOT unlock them the gullible person looking for an unlocked iPhone at a firesale price got screwed - and the seller got rid of a problem. Now, with contracts gone you are simply paying full price for a locked to Sprint, contract-free iPhone.

Sprint will unlock for International use only. You have to be a customer on a non-spending limit account for 90 days with your bill paid on time. Then and only then can you call Sprint and ask them for an international unlock.

Sprint, will never under any circumstances give you a domestic carrier unlock. The SIMs in the iPhone are paired with the phone and the phone will not work on the network if that paired SIM is missing - which it would be if you were trying to use a different SIM.

You will note that there are NO legitimate Sprint iPhone unlock vendors. That's because Sprint makes this impossible.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Also worth noting for those thinking of buying a used iPhone 5 for Verizon, while it is fully unlocked for GSM, the LTE will only work on Verizon. The Verizon 5s (and 5c I believe) have most/all LTE bands, so while it is a Verizon iPhone LTE (along with everything else) will work on a GSM carrier such as TMO, ATT, and prepaid services as long as you have a 5s (and maybe a 5c, someone will have to confirm) thats a Verizon iPhone.

This will probably also make the Verizon iPhone 5s more desirable when buying second hand as it is the only version of the 5s that will work on GSM carriers and Verizon because it does have the CDMA radios.

gls1004

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
iphone5

I purchased a iphone 5 from Verizon and its works perfectly well on ATT network. They just sent me a new sim card. Before changing over they told me that it wouldn't work. I said that I would chance it. Lot of mis-information out here.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I purchased a iphone 5 from Verizon and its works perfectly well on ATT network. They just sent me a new sim card. Before changing over they told me that it wouldn't work. I said that I would chance it. Lot of mis-information out here.
Just curious. Do you get LTE (4G) or are you on 3G only or whatever it is that AT&T calls non-4G LTE?

I ask, because it's technically possible to move a Sprint iPhone 5 to T-Mobile but you can only get 3G on T-Mobile. LTE won't work.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Out there perhaps, not so much out here. In the case of this thread and Sprint being involved, seems like everything is pretty much right, and seems like it has all been sorted out some time ago too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.