Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casimono

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
I tried out the iPhone 5 in the store and found this strange problem - can anybody say if it solves itself with time or practice?

The device has a bigger screen, and with that comes the fact that the keyboard is further down. Now with all previous iPhones, when using it with only one hand, one could easily balance the phone on four fingers and reach each key with the thumb. Now on the iPhone 5, the space key is so far down that I have to cramp the thumb enormously. I could just hold the Phone further down, but that makes the device top-heavy and it would fall out of the hand above my four fingers.

Is there a technique or a trick that you use that solves this issue?

Thanks!

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
I have noticed this to some extent as well, though I have mostly gotten used to it.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I tried out the iPhone 5 in the store and found this strange problem - can anybody say if it solves itself with time or practice?

The device has a bigger screen, and with that comes the fact that the keyboard is further down. Now with all previous iPhones, when using it with only one hand, one could easily balance the phone on four fingers and reach each key with the thumb. Now on the iPhone 5, the space key is so far down that I have to cramp the thumb enormously. I could just hold the Phone further down, but that makes the device top-heavy and it would fall out of the hand above my four fingers.

Is there a technique or a trick that you use that solves this issue?

Thanks!

take a midol.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
I would assume I have smaller hands than you (small girl hands), and I don't have a problem with hand cramping with one handed typing. However, I don't 'grip' the phone with the other 4 fingers, but the phone rests on 3 fingers with my pinky kinda cupping or resting on the bottom edge. It's fine for me but if someone was to come and smack the bottom of my hand, the phone would probably fly into my face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.