Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
For those like myself who have resisted Lion, are you planning to upgrade to Mountain Lion when it becomes available?
Or don't we know enough about it yet?

Just curious.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I think if you've purposely avoided Lion, you'll probably want to avoid Mountain Lion. What is the reason for staying with Snow Leopard for you?

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I think if you've purposely avoided Lion, you'll probably want to avoid Mountain Lion. What is the reason for staying with Snow Leopard for you?

Ignorance I suppose. I find SL to be extremely stable and it does everything I need it to do. I have been somewhat put-off by criticisms of Lion that I have read, here and elsewhere (i.e., problems encountered with Mail, network connectivity, stability, etc. To reiterate, I have no hands-on experience, just stuff I've read). Plus the whole backwards scrolling and gestures thing, and the listing toward iOS-type orientation.
Plus the fact that I've never considered the Lion to be a true feline (is social, lives and hunts in packs, etc., cats don't do that), and I'm partial to felines:)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ignorance I suppose. I find SL to be extremely stable and it does everything I need it to do. I have been somewhat put-off by criticisms of Lion that I have read, here and elsewhere (i.e., problems encountered with Mail, network connectivity, stability, etc. To reiterate, I have no hands-on experience, just stuff I've read). Plus the whole backwards scrolling and gestures thing, and the listing toward iOS-type orientation.
Plus the fact that I've never considered the Lion to be a true feline (is social, lives and hunts in packs, etc., cats don't do that), and I'm partial to felines:)

You're right, Snow Leopard is a very stable OS and runs very well. Lion has been working just as well in my experience and is now taking cues from iOS and ML will do the same.

The backwards scrolling is an option, and I've reverted it back to the SL ways on my own Mac's.

As for the lion not being a true feline, well yes it is, and yes cats do hunt in packs and such... lions are cats and they hunt in packs.

But there is a part of me that wishes I stayed on SL, and that is only because of the Expose & Spaces feature. But I hear we'll be able to get that back in ML, so I am looking forward to that.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
As for the lion not being a true feline, well yes it is, and yes cats do hunt in packs and such... lions are cats and they hunt in packs.

I know that, strictly speaking, you are correct. But it just feels wrong. I've always thought of Lions as big dogs. No offense to dog lovers.;)

As for ML, I suppose I'll just wait and see. And go into my :apple:Store and play with it before taking the leap, of course.

Disclaimer: This iMac (mid-2010 refresh) is my first Mac, and SL my first experience with OSX, and I found it so much more pleasant than Widows that I've gotten attached to it.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The longer you put off upgrading system software the more painful it gets.

It's a perfectly good idea to freeze yourself in older system software, as long as you stick to older software (and hardware that requires drivers). The problems come when you try to mix and match old stuff with new stuff, generally speaking.

But it's trivially easy to have the best of both worlds, either with a dedicated SL partition you can boot into, or a separate machine.

Just make sure you don't rely so much on the older software that you get left with no way to access proprietary data formats in the future; if your Rosetta-dependent application never gets upgraded the documents it created may not ever be usable again.

Rob

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
My primary OS is still SL. I had to install Lion in order to develop for Retina iPads (new SDK required new version of Xcode required Lion), but I put it on an external rather than installing over SL. So now I do most dev work in SL, and reboot into Lion only when building for test/deployment.

Luckily, most of the rest of my work is done in Windows in Parallels, which was easy to bring across into Lion. I did have to upgrade the Parallels app, but it's not too costly. As I use Lion more, I might have to upgrade other (Mac) apps.

I don't like the Lion UI, and there aren't many Lion features (that I'm aware of) that I need or want, so I'll continue as is for the time being. But ultimately, I'll have to move Lion, and onto ML. Application incompatibilities will eventually force that. At least in ML, there is one feature I really like - Airplay mirroring.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I find SL to be extremely stable and it does everything I need it to do.

That's why I've stuck with it. Another reason is because the upgrade from Leopard to SL was so underwhelming that I didn't want to take that risk with Lion.

I just bought an MBA, and my free upgrade to ML extends to all machines. So I could upgrade my 2008 iMac from SL to ML, but I don't see any compelling reason.

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
I find SL to be extremely stable and it does everything I need it to do.

I'll second on the stability of SL. Unfortunately I need to update to in for Developing iOS apps and constantly experience hangs.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002

Mountain Lion in Developer Preview 4 feels a lot better than Lion, I tried to go back to Lion and it was hard. ML feels so much more snappier like SL. The scrolling thing is a non-issue after a hour or so, in fact it feels right.... when you use an older computer with the `old` scrolling it feels wrong :)

Networking: WIFI and Ethernet and switching between the two seems have got a lot more reliable, for me, anyway but SMB connections still seem a little buggy.

Mail: Never had any problems with Lion's e-mail, it was always fine.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
My work machine is on SL because they didn't pay for the upgrade and there wasn't good reason to do so. My home machine is Lion and I don't mind it. I would rather both machines be the same.

But with ML both machines will be getting and upgrade, so that will eliminate the problem.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
No. Autosave. Autoquit. Save As. Spaces. ****** iOS Mail. I see no indication that any of those messes have been properly fixed in ML, despite the half-assed restoration of "save as". And no new features that look even vaguely useful to me.

I like my SL workflow, which has evolved smoothly from 25 years of computer use, and see no reason to spend $$ on the new version just so I can relearn how to work around the limitations of a broken OS.

I'm just glad there's another year or two left before it's hardware upgrade time and I have to decide whether to jump ship to Linux.

ChelseaJK

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
I think I will upgrade...some of the new features sound pretty neat and even though I didn't upgrade to Lion (I got an early 2011 refurb running SL a few months ago and decided I might as well just wait until ML) I do like to keep current.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
SL was the end of the line for me. Have not looked at Lion, but poster inputs have been more than enough to put me right off.

I do not want Auto-Save! Do not want IOS! Do not want to be limited to downloading system updates - replete with sheep-tag.

DO want to run Classic and PPC apps - I paid for them, dammit!

Ubuntu up next - it even lets me run Sheepshaver for Classic.

GlastoEls

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
London
After 18 months of pain and confusion, I just downgraded my early 2008 MacBook to SL.

Quite simply, I prefer the colour icons, Save As, classic Spaces (the single biggest reason), the non skeuomorphism, non iOS.

After 18 months on Lion it was quite the process, but I did it, and it was the best decision I've made in ages. The whole system is snappier and doesn't feel strained.

NOTHING against iOS - I have iPhone 5 and iPad 3. But Snow Leopard really was, and is, the best OS I've come across with Apple, and I'm sticking with it until the sad day my old beauty retires.

nukenight

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Nope

My home MacBook is too old to run ML and L was just too slow to be any good. I kept my office machines on SL to be compatible with my home machine. For me, I will run SL on this machine until it dies and then decide if I want to go to ML or Ubuntu. I really don't like the iOS feel for L and ML. I need a computing machine and not an overgrown iphone. My old school Mac since 1985 nature is showing. My old SE/30 still runs! I wish the newer stuff would be as good!

keekl

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
PA
My Mac Mini won't run Lion. :-(

Same~just got "upgraded" to SL on Thanksgiving (yeah, I'm that guy)~~not in a hurry going to squeeze the life out of this mini now 6 years old (like my old Honda that has 298K miles) :D

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I actually started a thread about this long ago - and I'm still on SL. Nothing has changed. ML still doesn't have anything that I want/need. My life is no worse because I don't have iCloud. Maybe this is ignorance speaking, but I just can't see the point of iCloud - certainly not for music... I have 4TB of music overall, and 1.5TB that I need constant access to for choices to listen to, so the whole "match" thing is pointless in my case. What else does ML have that's all that different from SL? SL is very stable for me, and I still have a couple of irreplaceable apps that will never be updated and that I can only run through rosetta.

SL just works for me. I have no need for ML. Of course, at some point, I'll need to replace this iMac that I'm writing on at the moment - my main computer - it's a late 2009 top of the line iMac (which I actually bought in Feb 2010). The AppleCare on it expires beginning of 2013, but I bought it with American Express which gives me one extra year of coverage, so I'm good to Feb 2014. I'm sure I'll keep it until then at least. Why should I get rid of a perfectly good computer unless it no longer does what I need or breaks down? The hardest thing I use it for is editing - and so far FCPX works on it.

Maybe one day a version of FCPX comes out that no longer works with SL and I HAVE TO upgrade, well, maybe at that point.

Of course if I have to buy a new Mac, then I guess it'll come with whatever is on it. Who knows what OS X will be at in 2014 - which is the earliest I'd be buying a new computer. But in the meanwhile, I'm happy with SL and see zero point in ML... just one user's perspective!

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
my main computer - it's a late 2009 top of the line iMac (which I actually bought in Feb 2010). The AppleCare on it expires beginning of 2013, but I bought it with American Express which gives me one extra year of coverage, so I'm good to Feb 2014.

Unless your AMEX card is different from mine, AMEX extends only Apple's base warranty, not Apple Care. That's why I didn't get Apple Care for my 2012 MBA: I'd be paying all of that money for just one additional year of coverage.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Hmm. I just have an ordinary Amex Gold Rewards Plus card - I don't think warranty extension coverage differs between cards (but then again I don't have Platinum or Black).

Before I bought the iMac, I called an Amex rep and specifically asked about AppleCare and when the extension would apply - I explained the situation. She specifically said it would apply to the fourth year.

Now, of course phone reps are wrong all the time, so who knows. I guess I should have double checked with another rep.

So, you got me, you could be right - and I've lived with a false sense of security all this time!

I should probably call again at some point...

UPDATE!

OK, so I called AmEx again. I got transferred to their extended warranty department. I talked to the rep and carefully outlined the situation. The rep (Scott, called at 4:55 PM PST), assured me that I am covered till February 2014, i.e. that AmEx is extending the warranty an extra year beyond what AppleCare covers. Now, here is where it gets interesting. He claims that however, I should be clear that what is covered by that extra year is NOT AN EXTENSION OF APPLECARE, but an extension of what basic coverage would be - in other words, whatever Apple provides in the first year if you DON'T buy AppleCare, so the fourth year here would be just like the basic non-AppleCare coverage from Apple would be. I guess that means certain niceties are out, such as phone support(?) and home visit by technician etc.

Hopefully this information is correct. But hey if a rep in the extended warranty department is wrong, what can I do. Or as my wife says: "you'll find out if you are covered or not only when you need it and file a claim"... that's when you find out that no matter what the rep said on the phone, guess what, you're out of luck. Reminds me of certain medical insurance experiences - everything is great and you feel fully covered and so you pay your premiums for years and years, and then one day you submit a claim and all of a sudden you find out that - oops, bad luck, you are not covered for this particular thing, hee-hee, sucks to be you!

Last edited:

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I've got AMEX Blue Cash. Not sure if that makes a difference. It also could be that the policy changed in the time between when you bought your machine and when I bought mine. Hopefully I never have to find out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.