Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
jammybastard
macrumors member

Ripping 5.1 DTS DVD Audio for Apple TV?

Hey folks,
I have a box set by the band Genesis that features 5 DVDs with 5.1 DTS mixes of their albums from '76-82.

I'd like to be able to play them on my home theater, which means from my iTunes library to my AppleTV (3rd Gen) and out via optical.

I have Handbrake and use it regularly.
My question is:
Is there a specific way I should rip these files, different from normal DVDs, so they play nice with my AppleTV?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:27 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post
Hey folks,
I have a box set by the band Genesis that features 5 DVDs with 5.1 DTS mixes of their albums from '76-82.

I'd like to be able to play them on my home theater, which means from my iTunes library to my AppleTV (3rd Gen) and out via optical.

I have Handbrake and use it regularly.
My question is:
Is there a specific way I should rip these files, different from normal DVDs, so they play nice with my AppleTV?

Thanks for the help.
No DTS for the aTV. In HB, on the audio tab, set your first track to AAC Dolby Pro Logic. Set your second track to:

Track: DTS (or DTS-HD whichever you have)
Codec: ffmpeg
Mixdown: 6-channel discrete.

This setup will convert the DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1

Also, if you use the aTV preset, I think it will set all that automatically, but check.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:24 PM   #3
jammybastard
macrumors member

thank you sir!
the biggest thing I was concerned about was HB compressing the audio.
I didn't want to go from lossless to lossy.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:54 AM   #4
bucksaddle
macrumors regular

I also have these Genesis box sets and have ripped them to play through the Apple TV. I would use the 5.1 Dolby Digital track on the discs (set handbrake to pass thru on this track) instead of converting the DTS tracks - this way you are getting a bit for bit replication.
I know 5.1 DD isn't as good as 5.1 DTS but as mic j states the Apple TV doesn't do DTS and a bit for bit rip of DD would be better than a DTS conversion.

Just to say both the DTS & DD tracks on these discs are lossy, there is no DTS-MA track.

Cheers

Last edited by bucksaddle; Jan 6, 2013 at 03:02 AM.
bucksaddle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post
thank you sir!
the biggest thing I was concerned about was HB compressing the audio.
I didn't want to go from lossless to lossy.
HB will compress your audio if you are going through your ATV. This is unavoidable if you want to use iTunes and home sharing.

Also, DTS is technically still lossy audio (unless you have a DTS-MA track). These aren't on DVDs ever, and have only recently become standard on Blu Ray. They are also between 1GB and 3GB in size per hour dependent on the actual source.

Last edited by Pyromonkey83; Jan 6, 2013 at 06:26 AM.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksaddle View Post
I also have these Genesis box sets and have ripped them to play through the Apple TV. I would use the 5.1 Dolby Digital track on the discs (set handbrake to pass thru on this track) instead of converting the DTS tracks - this way you are getting a bit for bit replication.
I know 5.1 DD isn't as good as 5.1 DTS but as mic j states the Apple TV doesn't do DTS and a bit for bit rip of DD would be better than a DTS conversion.

Just to say both the DTS & DD tracks on these discs are lossy, there is no DTS-MA track.

Cheers
This is definitely the better way to go. Compression always ends up with a degradation of quality. Since the DTS track is already compressed from the master once, compressing it again will end up with a worse quality track than passing thru the DD track in the first place.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater