Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitch1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Hi,

This is the second time that i'm trying to make a backup with my new SAS disk:
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/280575/iomega-storcenter-ix2-200-cloud-edition-6tb/overzicht/

Now i;m getting this message for the secondtime:

schermafbeelding2013042.png

Translation:
"Time Machine is not able to finish the reserve copy on 'ix2'

A error has be acured while copying files. This is probably a temporary problem. If the problem keeps, use the disk utilities to repair the reservercopydisk."

Now I have spent round 12 hours to backup a size of 266GB, I hope somebody can help me out!

Thxn.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Use Carbon Copy Cloner, that one seems to have a lot less problems than TimeMachine, you can also have multiple schedules with CCC, for instance your Home folder hourly and the whole disk once a week or eve
every day.
CCC also makes bootable backups so if there is a problem you are up in minutes, a restart and boot from backup is all it takes.

CCC is free up until 3.4.7

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Time Machine normally works fine, and has done for many years, so this should be fixable.

Have you repaired the disk, as the error message suggested?
It's usually best to repartition ("format") a brand new drive as HFS+ journalled, when you first get it, even if it comes like that from the factory.

If that doesn't work, try taking the disk back to the shop and testing the problem with a replacement.

Last edited:

Mitch1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
Use Carbon Copy Cloner, that one seems to have a lot less problems than TimeMachine.

That would be the last option m8, lets start at the begin =)

Have you repaired the disk, as the error message suggested?
It's usually best to repartition ("format") a brand new drive as HFS+ journalled, when you first get it, even if it comes like that from the factory.

I'm not sure what the repair will do, but as I sad its a NAS disk and the NAS receives also backup from websites. So I'm not sure if I want to run that "disk repair"..

some advice?

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Use Carbon Copy Cloner, that one seems to have a lot less problems than TimeMachine, you can also have multiple schedules with CCC, for instance your Home folder hourly and the whole disk once a week or eve
every day.
CCC also makes bootable backups so if there is a problem you are up in minutes, a restart and boot from backup is all it takes.

CCC is free up until 3.4.7

Can you make incremental backups with CCC like with TM?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm not sure what the repair will do, but as I sad its a NAS disk and the NAS receives also backup from websites. So I'm not sure if I want to run that "disk repair"..
Ah. Yes, you woudln't want to repartition or Repair an NAS using Disk Utility.

In that case, you have to create an HFS+ Disk image on your NAS and point TM at that.

A quick Google for "Time Machine on a network drive" will give detailed instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.