Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Which phone is better?
iPhone 4S 23 20.18%
iPhone 5 93 81.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9, 2013, 07:45 AM   #26
regkilla
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
In addition to bring better in almost every way, the 5 has much better battery life over the 4S.
Yeah.
regkilla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:19 PM   #27
Paddle1
macrumors 6502a

How much better is the battery life?
Paddle1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 01:18 PM   #28
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle1 View Post
How much better is the battery life?
well it has slightly better battery life then the 4S/4 with LTE added, a larger screen, a faster CPU/GPU, better cameras and better speaker all with the same sized battery as the 4S, which is quite impressive if you ask me
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #29
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

I played with the 5 at ATT when I decided to get the 4S instead last year. The 5 is cool and all, but that extra row of icons doesn't qualify as a 'larger' screen in my book, just taller. And questionable.

We can guess that the 5S will be just a spec upgrade with rumored finger print scanner. It will be a yawner, that's for sure, but even better by comparison to the 4S. The excitement comes with the new OS (that is also rumored to be redesigned).

What we know for sure is that we don't know squat.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:50 PM   #30
Bacong
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
the 5 is significantly better than the 4s. much snappier and way more smooth. it has LTE, a better camera, a bigger screen, it's thinner and lighter and it just generally destroys the 4s in every way.

You have some weird standards if these upgrades aren't good enough for you to get the phone. Sure, it's not revolutionary but no phone is anymore. This is the type of jump to expect from phone to phone across the market.

Don't forget about Apple's planned obsolescence.
Old May 11, 2013, 05:10 PM   #31
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacong View Post
the 5 is significantly better than the 4s. much snappier and way more smooth. it has LTE, a better camera, a bigger screen, it's thinner and lighter and it just generally destroys the 4s in every way.
Exact reasons why I upgraded to the 5 from the 4.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:48 PM   #32
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:

You have some weird standards if these upgrades aren't good enough for you to get the phone. Sure, it's not revolutionary but no phone is anymore. This is the type of jump to expect from phone to phone across the market.

Don't forget about Apple's planned obsolescence.
Those are all upgrades to things that were a non issue.

I'm not loading apps on my 4S saying "Man I wish this thing was snappier I need to be to work in 300 milliseconds!!".

Or my doctor saying "well the cause of your back problems is your cell phone is too heavy"

I think the only thing really beneficial in your list of specs is LTE to customers using a CDMA iPhone 4S with incredibly slow 3G networks.

Aside from being faster in such a way that makes no real world difference what does the iPhone 5 do that my 4S doesn't? Absolutely nothing. I have maps, Siri, etc etc and every single app is optimized for my screen!

Don't get me wrong if my 4S was stolen I'd replace it with a 5 because it is better, just not in ways to sway me to upgrade. And that's saying a lot because my employer buys my phones all I have to do is shoot an email and I'll have a new phone on my desk in a week or so. At this point though I'll save that perk for the 5S.
Old May 11, 2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Bacong
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Those are all upgrades to things that were a non issue.

I'm not loading apps on my 4S saying "Man I wish this thing was snappier I need to be to work in 300 milliseconds!!".

Or my doctor saying "well the cause of your back problems is your cell phone is too heavy"

I think the only thing really beneficial in your list of specs is LTE to customers using a CDMA iPhone 4S with incredibly slow 3G networks.

Aside from being faster in such a way that makes no real world difference what does the iPhone 5 do that my 4S doesn't? Absolutely nothing.

Don't get me wrong if my 4S was stolen I'd replace it with a 5 because it is better, just not in ways to sway me to upgrade. And that's saying a lot because my employer buys my phones all I have to do is shoot an email and I'll have a new phone on my desk in a week or so. At this point though I'll save that perk for the 5S.
I guess you're right. Why make the phone faster?
Old May 11, 2013, 09:41 PM   #34
srsub3
macrumors 6502

5 is better because is has a spec bump and because it has LTE.... even the fact it is lighter is a big point to me...
srsub3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:01 PM   #35
lolwatpear
macrumors member

5 definitely, 4s is great also
lolwatpear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #36
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
I guess you're right. Why make the phone faster?
I'm assuming this is sarcasm but I'll still humor the question.

Obviously a piece of technology should be faster then its predecessor especially when it comes to a smart phone. That way better, more processor intensive apps can be designed. But that's not the point I was making which btw is only my opinion obviously.

What I'm saying and the point of this thread is the 4S vs the 5. And while spec bumps are fine the 5 doesn't actually offer me anything my 4S can't do. It just does things a bit faster and with most of my apps (not all) an unnoticeable amount faster. How fast do I need messages or safari to load? It's already near instant. Some games (don't really play many on my phone) load noticeably faster and that might be a big deal to some but not me, I can wait an extra second or two.

So for ME there is no incentive to upgrade from the 4S. Now if the 5 had some killer feature like the 4S has over the 4 (I actually use maps and Siri quite often) then I'd be all about it. Those are things that actually benefit me and increase productivity and help me throughout the day.

This is why I like the S versions. The 5S will come out and get something the 5 doesn't get software wise, it has too or it will just be another 5 with a different name. Just like the 4 to 4S did. Plus like the 4S the 5S should get all the software the 6 gets.

I feel Apple has two cycles, one for a redesign and one for software. I prefer the software because it also includes the redesign. However the cost is I have to stick with the old design for a year, which I'm ok with.

Back to speed, obviously that's important because even now my 4S is showing its age in iOS 6. So 7 will probably be pretty rough. However that's when I'll be upgrading so its a moot point.

As far as 4S vs 5 I agree the 5 is better in nearly every way and like I said if I lost my 4S or it got stolen I'd get a 5 because its the best. Not its just not worth the effort, time and hassle for ME to upgrade my 4S. I have plenty of friends with a 5 now and I got bored playing with one after literally a minute. Add a row of icons....ok cool....that's it nothing else to see here. I'm sure I'll appreciate it when I have a 5S but I imagine I'll appreciate something else on it a lot more....

Ugh, that wasn't supposed to be a rant sorry....
Old May 12, 2013, 11:36 AM   #37
braddick
macrumors 68030

^
Excellent post.
Thanks for taking the time to share!

4S is an near flawless iPhone and a joy to use.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 08:25 PM   #38
Paddle1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator1 View Post
I havent read the rest of the comments but all i want to say is iPhone 5 is waaaay better than the tiny screen-sized 4S...the retina display is far better looking than the LED on the 4S, and most importantly, the camera is something which you all need to consider. Have you checked the 5's camera tests? they're crazy!

The 4S has retina display, doesn't it? And the screen isn't that much bigger.
Paddle1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 08:29 PM   #39
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle1 View Post
The 4S has retina display, doesn't it? And the screen isn't that much bigger.
It does.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone