Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 2, 2013, 06:18 PM   #1
senseless
macrumors 65816

New health insurance rate projections

This article should help in planning for the Affordable Care Act. It looks like older folks should see steady or lower rates, but younger healthier people will pay a lot more. There is federal assistance available next year for lower to middle income people.

http://www.ahip.org/MillimanReportAC...tm_term=report
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post
This article should help in planning for the Affordable Care Act. It looks like older folks should see steady or lower rates, but younger healthier people will pay a lot more. There is federal assistance available next year for lower to middle income people.

Like any other new social benefits. It'll be worth it in the long run for the younger generation.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Like any other new social benefits. It'll be worth it in the long run for the younger generation.
Except insurance doesn't add any value to health processes and so having money squandered by allowing private businesses to take profit out of the system doesn't make sense. It will be worth it in the long run for private corporation's executives. The younger generation should just prepared to be ****ed hard.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:29 PM   #4
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless View Post

I wonder how many still think that they will have insurance paid for with no money out of pocket. Remember the people who thought that Obama was going to start paying their mortgage and car payments?
hexonxonx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
...Sort of like the slowly-imploding social security system? I look forward to getting absolutely nothing from the system I will have paid into for 50+ years.
Prototypical is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:53 AM   #6
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototypical View Post
...Sort of like the slowly-imploding social security system? I look forward to getting absolutely nothing from the system I will have paid into for 50+ years.
The self-fulfilling prophecy that I have heard since I was a teenager a very long time ago. Social Security is perfectly solvent now. Google Images this:

"graph social security trust funds"

Social Security has a massive surplus at the moment.

Should all of us old folks live beyond the year 2040, a modest increase (2% of wages) will fix it "forever". Or, there could be a significant, but, not catastrophic, cut in benefits. Either way, as long as people are paying into it, Social Security is solvent. Anyone who says that "Social Security is going broke" is either a liar, or, one of the super rich who looks forward to the day when the rest of us are appropriately destitute. If we all decide that we don't want to pay any taxes, don't be surprised if the U.S. eventually turns into a third-world country.

Social Security is not going to go broke as long as we want it to not go broke. It is a question of political will, not finances.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
The self-fulfilling prophecy that I have heard since I was a teenager a very long time ago. Social Security is perfectly solvent now. Google Images this:

"graph social security trust funds"

Social Security has a massive surplus at the moment.

Should all of us old folks live beyond the year 2040, a modest increase (2% of wages) will fix it "forever". Or, there could be a significant, but, not catastrophic, cut in benefits. Either way, as long as people are paying into it, Social Security is solvent. Anyone who says that "Social Security is going broke" is either a liar, or, one of the super rich who looks forward to the day when the rest of us are appropriately destitute. If we all decide that we don't want to pay any taxes, don't be surprised if the U.S. eventually turns into a third-world country.

Social Security is not going to go broke as long as we want it to not go broke. It is a question of political will, not finances.
I'm guessing you weren't referring to this one:

...or this one:

The top one is a little out of date (2009), but doesn't exactly jive with this swimming pool of money you claim SS has. The bottom one is directly from the SSA, and even theirs shows that outgo has nearly caught income... and the graph stops at 2011. I wonder what it will look like in 2060?

I love it when retirees (or near retirees) keep parroting the "stop whining, Social Security is fine!" line to those of us just getting started in our careers. It's the same baby-boomer generation that is going to wipe out the Social Security pot just before they all kick the bucket. It isn't YOUR problem after you're dead... right?

And I also love how the solution is "hey, pay more to support us NOW, or just plan to get less when YOU need it." Seriously? It's OUR responsibility to support the short-sightedness and lack of planning by the generations that came before us? It's not my fault nobody had the foresight to increase SS contributions 30-45 years ago to account for the huge population boom.

...Or, as you said, nobody back then had the political will to make people pay more either. Why worry if you can just pass it on to the next generation to deal with?
Prototypical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 12:55 PM   #8
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototypical View Post
I'm guessing you weren't referring to this one:

The top one is a little out of date (2009), but doesn't exactly jive with this swimming pool of money you claim SS has.
Yes it does. It even supports his claim. That's a chart of annual surplus/deficit, not the actual value of the trust fund. In 2009 the SSA trust fund was worth 2.5 TRILLION Dollars.
http://www.ssa.gov/history/tftable.html
Yes, the projections are that the surplus will start to decrease - sometime around 2017 or 2019 it looks like. But still, $2.5 trillion is a whole lot of money by any measure. And the chart still shows more money being taken in today than is being spent today.

Quote:
...or this one:

The bottom one is directly from the SSA, and even theirs shows that outgo has nearly caught income... and the graph stops at 2011.
Yeah, "nearly." Fact remains, they're still brining in more money than they're paying out.

Quote:
I wonder what it will look like in 2060?
I do too. From what I can tell, the SSA says about 75% of benefits can be paid from income alone once the trust fund is fully depleted in ~2033. (At which point it's STILL "solvent" as jnpy!$4g3cwk claims.) That date is HUGELY dependent, by the way, on your assumptions about wages, tax rates, general economic condition, healthcare setup, etc. I don't think we'll truly know what Social Security in 2060 will look like until about 2055 or so.

http://americablog.com/2013/04/socia...out-money.html
elistan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues