Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xypho

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
I like 1password

I have used the 1passowrd for iPhone for years and I use it often...

Recently, i purchased the OS X equivalent and I am more than happy with the purchase so far...

sync is a breeze of wifi and I love the fact that it asks me to unlock the app on iPhone before syncing, makes me feel secure...

I have not tried sync over DropBox yet or any of the more fancy security settings.
But my more important passwords in the iphone app are stored behind the master password too.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I'm tempted by 1password, it would be so convenient. Not clear on how it works. Where is your data stored ... on a server owned by the app developer? How can you be sure it is secure and can't be hacked?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm tempted by 1password, it would be so convenient. Not clear on how it works. Where is your data stored ... on a server owned by the app developer? How can you be sure it is secure and can't be hacked?

The data is stored locally on your computer. This may answer your questions.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

Friendly neighborhood 1Password guy here.

We never store your data in the cloud unless you request it. Note that during creation of the data file there is a checkbox to store in Dropbox (if you have Dropbox). Uncheck that if you don't want to store it there.

We use 128-bit AES encryption in the data file on the Mac right now. The new 1Password 4 data file will be 256-bit AES. Note that the difference in terms of security here is pretty minimal. 128-bit is more than enough given the various tools available to protect the data further. Such as PBKDF2 (we use a variable amount of PBKDF2 iterations depending on CPU power of the device).

It's all outlined in the security document linked above too.

Even if your data is on Dropbox, the master password that is locking your data is never transmitted to Dropbox so a thief would need to have that particular piece of the puzzle to access your data. We all use Dropbox at AgileBits, we wouldn't suggest users use it if we ourselves weren't comfortable with it. The security threat of Dropbox is seriously overhyped these days based on a couple of issues they had. (Everyone forgets the Matt Honan story with iCloud though and thinks iCloud is the savior of all cloud data and Dropbox is the old and busted terrible).

Fact is, we assume the worst when we designed the 1Password data file. What if a cracker gets ahold of your data file? Well, we make sure we do everything we can to prevent them from being able to get your data and you can read more about that here:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2012/07/31/1password-is-ready-for-john-the-ripper/

If you choose a good strong master password that is both easy enough to type and secure enough you will be just fine.

Let me know if you have any questions relating to 1Password. I'd be happy to help though I will stay out of the remainder of the discussion regarding other software, hope you understand. I'm potentially biased on that side and will happily answer technically relevant questions about 1Password only, for that reason.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Is there a FREE app for Mac which allows me to store text on the left side so it's easy to find, then click on whatever text I want which then shows me the password for that text/website etc? And that has ability to encrypt itself?

Is Moxier Wallet any good? Anyone used it?

Last edited:

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I use roboform, I came from the windows world, and still need to sync them across platforms. I can install it on as many machines as I want, and they are allways in sync.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I've got mSecure on my phone. But as far as I can see, all it does it securely remember a password. It looks like 1Password will enter your password for you, so you can use a really long password.

CarolineRo

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
I use Intuitive Password. It supports all major browsers and mobile devices, you don't need to manually sync your data, the system does it automatically. The user interface is very nice too. Your data is securely stored on their cloud data center. It is completely free of charge, worth to have a try. https://www.intuitivepassword.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.