Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
My website has text boxes to enter two addresses (pickup address and delivery address)... and it calculates a delivery price quote based on the distance between those two points...

Site Screen.png

The developer set it up so that a zip code is the only required element (obviously it is not as precise as a full address). I'm curious to know if it is difficult to modify it so that as you start typing an address, it displays a pop up list of suggested addresses (as google maps does), which gets more precise as you provide more information...

Maps Screen Shot.png

I'd like to pay to have this done, but am not sure if this is easily done... (my developer is unavailable... need to find a new one).

Last edited:

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
It is possible to add autocomplete from the google maps API to a field like that. How difficult it would be to bring in a new developer to implement it can vary a lot based on how the site was originally set up. It appears the calculator is a custom module, so that may be difficult to work with. The autocomplete feature requires Google maps API v3, if a different API is currently being used that could cause issues.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Maybe I'm just totally wrong here ( haven't worked on something like this in years ), but...

I believe delivery charges for all shipped packages are based (calculated) on zip code to zip code, not street address to street address ( and weight ).

Do you have a case where a price was different?

PS We developers are always busy. :)

Tknull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
It is possible to add autocomplete from the google maps API to a field like that. How difficult it would be to bring in a new developer to implement it can vary a lot based on how the site was originally set up. It appears the calculator is a custom module, so that may be difficult to work with. The autocomplete feature requires Google maps API v3, if a different API is currently being used that could cause issues.

I checked all the modules listed for the website, and I do not see one named Google Maps. So I think you are correct that they created a custom one. Perhaps this:

Fleetfoot Modules.png

So I guess I'll just need to pay someone to go dig in and see if it can be done...? I'd be game if this could be done in under several hours of work (assuming $50/hour). But if it would require a lot more than that, i'm not sure.

p.s. The reason for wanting to add this auto-fill is because many of our customers seem confused about how to enter the address. Even though there is a question mark icon next to the field, which a hover over would show some example formatting options... or inform them that only a zip code is required... they give up and just call.

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The reason for wanting to add this auto-fill is because many of our customers seem confused about how to enter the address. Even though there is a question mark icon next to the field, which a hover over would show some example formatting options... or inform them that only a zip code is required... they give up and just call.

I'd recommend focusing on the problem. Clean up the form a bit.
Include something like:
Code:
From Street Address
[                          ]
State    ZipCode
[   ]     [           ]

To Street Address
[                          ]
State    ZipCode
[   ]     [           ]

Users never hover to read or learn. If they cannot see it immediately, it will lower your conversion.
I spend HOURS figuring out how best to present something to increase conversion.

Good luck!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.