Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
CyberCrone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Lost Internet access when I installed new router

I have a Mac Mini running Lion 10.7.3. I recently signed up with Suddenlink for Internet service and everything was working great with their rented modem. However, today I replaced their modem with a Motorola Surfboard, which Suddenlink activated for me, and a Netgear Wireless router. My network is working fine from my Windows 7 laptop - I connect to the Internet and I networked my wireless printer as well.

On the Mac, System Preferences/Network shows that I AM connected to network so I know my network settings are correct. Under Network Preferences the new network is at the top of the list where it should be, but I can't get to Web using my browsers. Firewall is turned off, and I can't find any settings that appear to be wrong. I'm completely stymied, don't know where to look next.

Anybody?????????????????????????????????????????
__________________
Toni
Blog: Old Woman Walking
CyberCrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2
KScottMyers
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
So have you checked the following...

Assuming you're using DHCP from the Netgear - does the Mini get a correct IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router address and DNS address - just like the Windows box?

Can you ping the Netgear from the Mini?
KScottMyers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3
CyberCrone
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KScottMyers View Post
Assuming you're using DHCP from the Netgear - does the Mini get a correct IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router address and DNS address - just like the Windows box?

Can you ping the Netgear from the Mini?
The trouble is that I'm a Mini novice and don't know how to look for things on the Mac that I know how to do on the Windows machine. So, red-faced, I ask you to tell me how to find these on the Mac? So much on the Mac is easier and more obvious than on Windows, but other things seem hard to find. Either that or I'm even dumber than I thought.

I appreciate your help!
__________________
Toni
Blog: Old Woman Walking
CyberCrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
KScottMyers
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
OK - just go to System Preferences and then select the Network preference icon.

Click on Advanced and walk through each tab to see what the settings are.

You can use the Network Utility in your Utilities folder for basic network troubleshooting - like Ping, Trace Route, NetStat, etc.

Last edited by KScottMyers; Feb 27, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
KScottMyers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:01 AM   #5
CyberCrone
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KScottMyers View Post
OK - just go to System Preferences and then select the Network preference icon.

Click on Advanced and walk through each tab to see what the settings are.

You can use the Network Utility in your Utilities folder for basic network troubleshooting - like Ping, Trace Route, NetStat, etc.
This is tremendously helpful. Thanks! Believe it or not, as obvious as it seems I had not yet discovered the Utilities folder - I'm a brand new Mac user.
__________________
Toni
Blog: Old Woman Walking
CyberCrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:53 AM   #6
KScottMyers
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCrone View Post
This is tremendously helpful. Thanks! Believe it or not, as obvious as it seems I had not yet discovered the Utilities folder - I'm a brand new Mac user.
I think after you spend a little time with OS X, you'll find Windows a little more cumbersome when trying to do the same things.
KScottMyers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I suggest investing a little money in David Pogue's excellent "The Missing Manual: Mountain Lion Edition." It will save you a lot of time and frustration getting up and running with your new Mac.

An alternative is Pogue's "Missing Manual for Switchers: Mountain Lion Edition." It details the operational differences between Windows and OS X; it also includes most of the info in the other book I suggested. There is also info about how to transfer files, etc. from a Windows PC to a Mac.

The Amazon Kindle edition is the least expensive option (unless you can find a lower-priced used paperback edition...) and you can read it on your Mac using the free Kindle for Mac application. It makes it handy to read when using your Mac.

I've recommended these books to numerous Mac newbies and the feedback has been universally positive. I've been using Macs since 1995 and I always have a copy around so I can learn the new features when I upgrade the OS.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
CyberCrone
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Great to know about these books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
I suggest investing a little money in David Pogue's excellent "The Missing Manual: Mountain Lion Edition." It will save you a lot of time and frustration getting up and running with your new Mac....

OS.
Mojo1, you might not even remember posting this suggestion by now - I did not get a notification and I haven't been back for a while. But late as it is, I always want to thank people who have tried to help. I'll look into these books.
__________________
Toni
Blog: Old Woman Walking
CyberCrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCrone View Post
Mojo1, you might not even remember posting this suggestion by now - I did not get a notification and I haven't been back for a while. But late as it is, I always want to thank people who have tried to help. I'll look into these books.
Nice of you to acknowledge my post even if it is belated...

I haven't been on this forum for quite some time myself.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Tags
mac mini, network settings, networking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC