Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:56 PM   #1
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Should I buy the iPod Classic Now?

I am planning on getting the iPod classic. I have a ton of MP3 files that I just need to get off my computer, but would still like to be able to listen to from time to time. The reason I want the classic is because of the storage size.

I was wondering however, should I buy it now? It doesn't look like Apple will update the classic at all, right? Or at least, not for a long time, or what?
DShap5 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502

I have a feeling it won't be updated, but with announcements coming so soon, I'd probably wait.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post
I am planning on getting the iPod classic. I have a ton of MP3 files that I just need to get off my computer, but would still like to be able to listen to from time to time. The reason I want the classic is because of the storage size.

I was wondering however, should I buy it now? It doesn't look like Apple will update the classic at all, right? Or at least, not for a long time, or what?
Hold out until after September 10, which is the Apple event. Most likely there won't be an update for the classic, but there maybe still a chance of it.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:41 AM   #4
greygray
macrumors 68000

It will most likely not be updated, which means you have a lot of time to decide on when you want to purchase one...
greygray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:08 AM   #5
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

I wouldn't buy yet. It won't be updated but I doubt it will be pulled from the stores just yet either. Even if Apple pulls it from the stores, it is still available at BestBuy and other places.

I bought my last 160GB Classic June 2012 thinking that year would be the end.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:22 AM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

An update to the device is unlikely, which is unfortunate since I feel it could do with an SSD, backlit buttons, RAW audio support and a speaker. But I'd wait until after today's keynote, just to be sure.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #7
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by david shapiro View Post

I'm not so sure the iPod Classic is the best solution to your needs here. It doesn't make a good backup drive; it shouldn't be relied on for being the only place you store some MP3s.

The hard drive inside an iPod isn't very reliable. They have issues frequently. Most of the time, a simple wipe/restore and re-sync is all that is needed to fix it. Still, if it's the only place where your music is stored, that means you loose all that music.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8
DShap5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneMadRssn View Post
I'm not so sure the iPod Classic is the best solution to your needs here. It doesn't make a good backup drive; it shouldn't be relied on for being the only place you store some MP3s.

The hard drive inside an iPod isn't very reliable. They have issues frequently. Most of the time, a simple wipe/restore and re-sync is all that is needed to fix it. Still, if it's the only place where your music is stored, that means you loose all that music.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.
DShap5 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:02 AM   #9
matd2100
macrumors newbie

I would like to point out at this point that my iPod classic 160gb bought in 2006 is still going strong, the hard drive is still healthy and its battery is still pretty good. This compares with the 4th gen iPod classic I had with a b&w screen - that one died after 3 or 4 years (although that one did get dropped once or twice whilst in a silicon case whereas I've never dropped my 160gb ipod classic). So hard drive reliability in newer ipod classics seems to have improved based on my experiences.
matd2100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Tags
classic, ipod, update