Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:10 PM   #1076
hollandog
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
I made a bootable DVD to update the 840 pro that I bought last week.
The process was unsuccessful because the 840 pro already shipped with the latest firmware..

hollandog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1077
Prof.
macrumors 68040
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
I'm new to the whole SSD craze so bear with me:

I have a 15" MacBoko Pro that I use for casual computer stuff - college work mostly. No heavy stuff like video and sound editing. I'm conflicted between getting the 750GB 840 EVO SSD and the 500 GB 840 EVO SSD because of the cache differences (512MB cache for the 500GB and 1GB cache for the 750GB). For what I do, will I see a noticeable difference between the two cache sizes?

Would you recommend getting the 500GB or the 750GB?
__________________
When kids look up to great scientists the way they do to great musicians and actors, civilization will jump to the next level
- Brian Greene
Prof. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1078
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
I'm new to the whole SSD craze so bear with me:

I have a 15" MacBoko Pro that I use for casual computer stuff - college work mostly. No heavy stuff like video and sound editing. I'm conflicted between getting the 750GB 840 EVO SSD and the 500 GB 840 EVO SSD because of the cache differences (512MB cache for the 500GB and 1GB cache for the 750GB). For what I do, will I see a noticeable difference between the two cache sizes?

Would you recommend getting the 500GB or the 750GB?
In day to day usage like you described you will see zero difference. Unless you just need the larger drive for space, I would just get the 500GB.

See this comparison.



500GB is in blue.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:24 AM   #1079
kcrossley
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
New firmware available.

Is it safe to update using Magician software in Bootcamp or better to make bootable ISO?
I need to update mine too, but the whole Mac OS X update process is a royal PITA. When is Samsung going to offer a Mac OS X compatible app for their SSDs?
kcrossley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:30 AM   #1080
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
I found a good deal on the Samsung 840 256 drives at Best Buy for $204 then i found a better deal on Amazon.
There may be better deals out there but I'm just passing this along.
This may be useful for a Price Match...
Prices for the Samsung 840 SSD's are plummeting at the moment. They've come down 25% in price here in Denmark, over the last ~5 weeks. Lets hope it is a sign of a new model just around the corner!
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:58 PM   #1081
kcrossley
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Has anyone had any problems with their Samsung Pro SSD corrupting their OS?

This just happened to me yesterday, which required an OS reinstall. I will admit that I rarely reboot my MacBook though, usually opting to put it to sleep. I probably restart the computer about once a month. Perhaps that's where the problem is.
kcrossley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 08:25 PM   #1082
jbachandouris
macrumors 65816
 
jbachandouris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Although I have had no problems with the 840, but I have seen no speed increase at all. Since my mid 2010 MBP is running SATA II, not sure it will help.

I am debating on switching back to a mechanical drive (1TB) since I would rather have the space since I don't notice the speed.

According to Black Magic
206 Write
262 Read
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB
iPad Air 64GB
MacBook Pro 13", Mid 2010

Last edited by jbachandouris; Mar 31, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:43 AM   #1083
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbachandouris View Post
Although I have had no problems with the 840, but I have seen no speed increase at all. Since my mid 2010 MBP is running SATA II, not sure it will help.

I am debating on switching back to a mechanical drive (1TB) since I would rather have the space since I don't notice the speed.

According to Black Magic
206 Write
262 Read
The speed numbers you quote are in line with SATA2 - Around 250Mb/sec.

But you mechanical drive should report ~25% of that speed, so I am quite surprised that you can't feel a difference. Even in my SATA1 MBP, I noticed a major speed increase when I shifted to an SSD.
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 06:00 AM   #1084
APPLEFUNRF
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Washington DC
(MacBook PRO 13/ 2011/ early / 16 ram / Core I7 )

Hi everybody. I just have bought mine SSD 840 PRO 128 Gb, so should I enable TRIM ? If so, what is the best way (CORRECT ) to enable TRIM ?

1) By terminal
2) By TRIMEnableR (what version ?) Ive heard, that it does change some important files on Mac OS ?
3) Chameleon SSD Optimizer ?
4) Else


Thanks so much in advance
__________________
MacBook Air 13 2011, MacBook Pro 13 Retina 2013, Ipad min retina, Iphone 5S, Iphone 1gen brand new, Imac 2011, Apple TV 1 Gen, Jawbone Up24.
APPLEFUNRF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:06 AM   #1085
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEFUNRF View Post
(MacBook PRO 13/ 2011/ early / 16 ram / Core I7 )

Hi everybody. I just have bought mine SSD 840 PRO 128 Gb, so should I enable TRIM ? If so, what is the best way (CORRECT ) to enable TRIM ?

1) By terminal
2) By TRIMEnableR (what version ?) Ive heard, that it does change some important files on Mac OS ?
3) Chameleon SSD Optimizer ?
4) Else


Thanks so much in advance
You won't get much argument from anybody that TRIM is not good to have. The issue is, do you want to hack a core OS X system file to have it? Many users here have used the TRIM hack without issue, while some do seem to have trouble with the hack enabled. You will just have to decide for yourself.

Every tool that enables TRIM does the same thing, and that is modify a system kext file. So no matter which tool you use, then end result is the same.

The free TRIM Enabler seems to work well.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:14 AM   #1086
APPLEFUNRF
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
You won't get much argument from anybody that TRIM is not good to have. The issue is, do you want to hack a core OS X system file to have it? Many users here have used the TRIM hack without issue, while some do seem to have trouble with the hack enabled. You will just have to decide for yourself.

Every tool that enables TRIM does the same thing, and that is modify a system kext file. So no matter which tool you use, then end result is the same.

The free TRIM Enabler seems to work well.
Thanks. Made by trimenabler, so easy, took me 5 seconds.

----------

Quote:
Many users here have used the TRIM hack without issue, while some do seem to have trouble with the hack enabled. You will just have to
What kind of problem ?
__________________
MacBook Air 13 2011, MacBook Pro 13 Retina 2013, Ipad min retina, Iphone 5S, Iphone 1gen brand new, Imac 2011, Apple TV 1 Gen, Jawbone Up24.
APPLEFUNRF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:26 AM   #1087
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEFUNRF View Post
What kind of problem ?
Everything from erratic performance to the drive just locking up.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 04:45 AM   #1088
seldanne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Hey... I've been researching this forum as I'm trying to decide what SSD to get... I have a mid-2010 MBP with a APPLE SSD TS128B (Toshiba drive right?) that came with it. I'm leaning towards the Samsung 840 series... I guess my question is, is the Pro worth it still? as I'd be using it with SATA II connection. Also been recommended the Crucial M550 series... anyone familiar with them?

Also, would I notice that much of a difference since I'm already using a SSD? I just need more capacity as I'm running out of room with the 128GB... leaning towards the 256 or 512GB drives.

Last edited by seldanne; Apr 6, 2014 at 05:49 AM.
seldanne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 05:04 AM   #1089
5to1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
For any UK buyers getting an Evo, I thought I'd point out Samsung are doing upto £50 Cashback on them until 3rd May:

www.samsung.com/uk/ssdevocashback

Not sure if it applies to other regions, but the offer started 30/03/14, so worth checking if one you purchased since then is eligible
5to1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 05:48 AM   #1090
seldanne
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I was just reading the Samsung SSD white paper on their site

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...Whitepaper.pdf

Quote:
As it requires OS support, not all users will be able to use native TRIM functionality. On PCs, TRIM is supported in Windows 7 or later. On Macs, TRIM is only supported for Apple’s OEM SSDs and is not supported for Samsung’s (or any other manufacturers’) aftermarket SSDs
Is this old? has it changed with the newer OSX?
seldanne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 06:13 AM   #1091
Jambalaya
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5to1 View Post
For any UK buyers getting an Evo, I thought I'd point out Samsung are doing upto £50 Cashback on them until 3rd May:

www.samsung.com/uk/ssdevocashback

Not sure if it applies to other regions, but the offer started 30/03/14, so worth checking if one you purchased since then is eligible
Thanks for this, just FYI the link shows £15 for 250gb, £18-20 for 500gb and £50 for the 1tb
__________________
Mac Mini 2009 8GB 750HDD, iPhone 4S 16GB, iPad1 64GB, ATV 3
Jambalaya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 06:30 AM   #1092
5to1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
Thanks for this, just FYI the link shows £15 for 250gb, £18-20 for 500gb and £50 for the 1tb
Yep, Sorry I should have posted that breakdown, damn retailers/manufacturers and their "upto"
5to1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2014, 01:26 AM   #1093
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldanne View Post
Hey... I've been researching this forum as I'm trying to decide what SSD to get... I have a mid-2010 MBP with a APPLE SSD TS128B (Toshiba drive right?) that came with it. I'm leaning towards the Samsung 840 series... I guess my question is, is the Pro worth it still? as I'd be using it with SATA II connection
The speed benefit in the Pro would not be noticeable over the EVO on a SATA2 connection. Save the money and buy the EVO.

Quote:
Also, would I notice that much of a difference since I'm already using a SSD? I just need more capacity as I'm running out of room with the 128GB... leaning towards the 256 or 512GB drives.
Most likely you will in some operations.
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:20 AM   #1094
hollandog
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Using the 256gb 840 pro for a few weeks now. It came with latest firmware.
Can't imagine if I need to go back to the 5400rpm drive.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro Late 2011 2.8ghz, 16gb ram, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
Hackintosh Desktop | Synology 412+
hollandog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 05:16 PM   #1095
Ledgem
macrumors 6502a
 
Ledgem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldanne View Post
I was just reading the Samsung SSD white paper on their site

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...Whitepaper.pdf



Is this old? has it changed with the newer OSX?
The statement is misleading: TRIM is not enabled by default in OS X for third-party SSDs, so the statement is arguably correct. However, there are programs that can be used to enable TRIM even on third-party drives, with ChameleonSSD and TRIMEnabler being the big two. The statement makes it seem as if TRIM is completely unsupported for the drives under OS X, which isn't the case.
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:13 PM   #1096
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The statement is misleading: TRIM is not enabled by default in OS X for third-party SSDs, so the statement is arguably correct. However, there are programs that can be used to enable TRIM even on third-party drives, with ChameleonSSD and TRIMEnabler being the big two. The statement makes it seem as if TRIM is completely unsupported for the drives under OS X, which isn't the case.
I'm guessing by this statement Samsung means TRIM is not supported in that it is not officially supported by Apple on aftermarket drives. So in that sense, I would say it is an accurate statement.

From the Samsung PDF:

Quote:
On Macs, TRIM is only supported for Apple’s OEM SSDs and is not supported for Samsung’s (or any other manufacturers’) aftermarket SSDs.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:52 AM   #1097
Marty62
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Berlin formerly London
Just an FYI - EVO prices have been dropping for a few months.
500gb on Amazon at the moment is €201 which is a pretty decent deal !

M.
__________________
Mac Pro 5,1 6 Core 3,33ghz, 32Gb, 840 EVO 750gb, Apricorn V2 solo, Inateck Kt4004 USB3.0
Macbook Pro 8,2 Quad 2,4ghz, 8Gb, 840 EVO 750gb
iPad 1 64gb - iPad Mini 16gb - iPhone 3GS - iPhone 5
Marty62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:08 AM   #1098
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
The question is if one should wait for the next generation of drives, or just snatch a cheap EVO.. Hmmm...
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:42 AM   #1099
Weaselboy
macrumors G4
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
The question is if one should wait for the next generation of drives, or just snatch a cheap EVO.. Hmmm...
Just my opinion from following reviews, it seems like the newer drives that are coming out are for the most part aimed at lowering the price point and not so much on improving performance. I think performance of SATA SSDs has about peaked. I suspect most newer drives you see will be about the same performance as the current drives and just a bit cheaper.

If it was me and I needed an SSD, I would just grab and EVO now.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:54 AM   #1100
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Thank you for the advice. That's also the reasoning I've come to, but with new drives being just around the corner, I can't help but wait just to see.

I would love to see a 840 Pro drive at 1TB, to maximize the gains and longivety of my forthcomming SSD.
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]

Last edited by T'hain Esh Kelch; Apr 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC