Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 11, 2013, 01:53 AM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

Too many passwords, userid and email accounts to remember

Hi, I got too many passwords, userids and email accounts to remember. What is the best way to solve this problem? I know that there are programs that store the passwords. Isn't it risky? I mean if an unauthorized person has access to this database, that person will know the passwords of all my accounts. Am I missing something? Thanks.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 02:56 AM   #2
superriku11
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to superriku11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Hi, I got too many passwords, userids and email accounts to remember. What is the best way to solve this problem? I know that there are programs that store the passwords. Isn't it risky? I mean if an unauthorized person has access to this database, that person will know the passwords of all my accounts. Am I missing something? Thanks.
The decent password managers encrypt the password database, and seamlessly handle decryption with a "master key" as you probably know it.

It would make it impossible to retrieve passwords from the database (assuming you used a good master key) when it is not actively being used, depending on how your password manager works. If you use a weak password, it would be possible to crack the database encryption and then retrieve all your passwords.

Technically it's also possible to retrieve the password to the database from a memory dump if you leave it authenticated while you're away, however that's a very professional type of attack, and it's doubtful that if you're an average user, anybody would try to do that.

So generally you'd be pretty safe using a good, secure password manager. If you're extra paranoid be sure you "lock" it (encrypt, de-authorize, de-authenticate, whatever your password manager calls it) when you're not using it. Or have it set so that anytime you need a password out of it, you must supply the master password, each and every time. But that may be more of a hassle if you don't need extra stringent security.
superriku11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 04:46 AM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Just use 1Password. They tell you that if you forget your password you are so out of luck.

However, if you open 1Password or any other password manager and then go away from your machine without locking it then others could see your passwords. You still have to protect the machine itself.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 05:20 AM   #4
firstrev360
macrumors member

I use LastPass, it works well with Safari.
firstrev360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

Get a small notebook.

Write things down.

Keep it in a safe place (even in a safe, if need be).
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstrev360 View Post
I use LastPass, it works well with Safari.
Another vote for LastPass...works great, auto fill in (if you want it), and good security.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
I highly recommend using LastPass to solve your credential management problems.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
FoxFifth
macrumors 6502

I'm another happy LastPass user. It works well on my Mac, iPhone & iPad, and Windows pc.
FoxFifth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Use the password manager app Keychain that comes free with your Mac. Is there something specific Keychain is not doing for you?
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I highly recommend using LastPass to solve your credential management problems.
After years of resisting, I recently gave in and started using LastPass. I'm very pleased with it and one great feature is it will autofill login info on sites where Keychain won't.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:29 PM   #11
eawmp1
macrumors 601

1Password for computer and iPhone FTW.
eawmp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Lastpass got top ratings from security expert Steve Gibson. It's the one I use.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:33 PM   #13
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
After years of resisting, I recently gave in and started using LastPass. I'm very pleased with it and one great feature is it will autofill login info on sites where Keychain won't.
It's a great tool isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Lastpass got top ratings from security expert Steve Gibson. It's the one I use.
Same here. I love his podcast, "Security Now" with Leo Laporte.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help