Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Not at all - an OS is an OS and it does not matter to me as long as it does the job. In this case it is squeezing the maximum life out of hardware.

Gone are the days that a new version of laptop (or desktop) 10 months later was twice (or even more) as fast in comparison to the previous model. The road forward appears to be focused on reducing power consumption which is non-issue in desktops. I am running my computer at about 6 - 8% load 24 hours 5 days a week. A 5, 10 or 15% performance improvement makes no difference.

I just upgraded my 2010 server to the 2012 base model and have changed the drive to two SSD's. This was done so I can in due time load Windows 8 on it (at the present running 7). A bonus is the USB 3. My 2011 has a genuine Apple (Samsung) and a Samsung 830 in it and is running Windows 8 (development / backup production machine).

Likewise, as long as hardware and apps are meeting my needs I'll stick with them.

That doesn't just apply to IT tech. My only motor vehicle is a small 1997 Honda motorcycle. It was cost effective to have the engine overhauled a couple of years ago, and it should be good for a good while more, as long as gasoline (not gasohol) is available.

Repairing my 2005 Mini was not going to be worthwhile when the HDD and the power supply needed replacing. By the time I replaced the software I would have been up for about half the cost of a new base model 2009, and would have been stuck with outdated hardware as well as an OS and apps that were no longer supported.

I upgraded the RAM and updated to Mountain Lion last year, which was well cost effective. I guess sometime next year another upgrade could be worthwhile. It remains to be seen what will be the best option beyond that, but I can't see the current computer being in use as long as my motorcycle, which could well see the end of this decade.

I doubt that there will be a Windows Anything in my future.

The first computer I used was the original Mac from '85 to '87. It was a decade before I used a computer again, in the late 90's, when I did battle with Windows. When I decided it would be better to do a lot of my work from home, I started by using the girlfriend's old PC portable, which didn't have the grunt to drive the printer they gave me from work..... and I'd had enough of Windows anyway. I went back to Mac with the first Mini in 2005; it fitted my needs and budget.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
As others have said, you really do not need a top of the line Mini to browse and stream video to your TV. I have the 2012 server with two SSDs and the RAM maxed out. I do have some problems when I'm doing hours of intensive graphic work, but streaming Plex to my Roku, iTunes to my AirPlay stereos and procrastinating by wandering around the web are not an issue at all. I'd also like to say that I, fortunately, was not hit with any of those "crushed white" issues the folks who bought the early batches of the 2012 Minis seemed to have. Seriously, unless you have computing needs you've forgotten to mention, there's no reason why you couldn't do just fine with with a 2011 or 2010 Mini unless you really want to hook USB 3 drives up to the sucker. This may be worth considering if your main use will be as a media server; I have 8TBs of media storage hooked up to mine with half of that on Firewire 800 and the other on USB 3 and there really is a noticeable speed difference when you're moving large (over 1GB) files around. All the hype about Haswell is really only relevant for laptop users.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I recommend a PowerMac G5 Quad that dual boots with OS X 10.5 and Debian 7.10
Get a powerful PC, not a powerless one.

Does anyone think a G5 PM Quad would be competitive with the (probable) next Mini?

My '09 Mini is laboring these days, and my '06 MacBook ain't much better. Actually, it's worse :-|

I do the usual non-power user stuff except for photography. Those 18MP RAWs are straining both my systems. Lotta beachballs.

I also liked to fire "Second Life" up back in the day, so that's a consideration. I figured I'd get the next Mini, but if a G5 is competitive and cheaper I'd consider it...

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Does anyone think a G5 PM Quad would be competitive with the (probable) next Mini?

My '09 Mini is laboring these days, and my '06 MacBook ain't much better. Actually, it's worse :-|

I do the usual non-power user stuff except for photography. Those 18MP RAWs are straining both my systems. Lotta beachballs.

I also liked to fire "Second Life" up back in the day, so that's a consideration. I figured I'd get the next Mini, but if a G5 is competitive and cheaper I'd consider it...

PM G5? Not even close. Way too old. The current 2012 mini's are benchmarking close to the quad core 2010 Mac Pro's. If you want to speed up your system, consider using an SSD to store and work with the photos that you are working on. I'd recommend getting a 2011 or later mini that has the SATAIII bus to take full advantage of the SSD speed.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
PM G5? Not even close. Way too old. The current 2012 mini's are benchmarking close to the quad core 2010 Mac Pro's. If you want to speed up your system, consider using an SSD to store and work with the photos that you are working on. I'd recommend getting a 2011 or later mini that has the SATAIII bus to take full advantage of the SSD speed.

Good to know. Thanks!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

Strange to think how far we've come! These machines are blazing fast these days.

Everything I see the newest Mac minis benchmarks compared to the older PowerMacs/Mac Pros, it makes me so sad Apple isn't interested in a smaller cheaper tower.

(Worse things have happened I supposed)

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Honestly for those purposes there's little point in waiting for Haswell. It's not running on batteries and Wireless N

Get yourself a 2012 or even 2011 model from the refurb store.

Uhm, lower power consumption is not only a benefit for battery life but also for your bills as well as being more enviroment-friendly.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Strange to think how far we've come! These machines are blazing fast these days.

Everything I see the newest Mac minis benchmarks compared to the older PowerMacs/Mac Pros, it makes me so sad Apple isn't interested in a smaller cheaper tower.

(Worse things have happened I supposed)

I agree. But the xMac just doesn't fit in Apple's M.O.

The mini is as close we'll ever get. And even then, I can see a revamp coming on that soon too...

I really like my Pegasus J4 - I wish apple could build something similar, i.e. a mini with 4 x 2.5" HDD spaces (and a blade SSD for OS). I can dream on, eh...

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
Given your needs, the only possible advantages to you with the Haswell upgrade will be Wi-fi ac, and maybe a second TB port (at the expense of losing the Ethernet port).

If you are not doing anything that needs high level graphics (advanced gaming, serious video work, multiple large screens), then Haswell offers little advantage because the main processing upgrade this time around is probably going to be in the graphics capacity, like what happened with the recent 2013 Air upgrade.

(I have a 2012 Air with HD4000 graphics, and it plays hi-res, high bitrate videos no problem at all on a 2560 x 1440 external screen. Even after several hours of that level of video work the CPU/GPU temperatures are still only around 60 C. :) )

If you don't need these features, then a refurb current model is a very good buy, especially for those with limited funds.

I am in Australia and I just picked up a refurb current model (2012) quad i7 Mini (non-server version) for about 17% discount off new price. That is only $50 more than the non-refurb current model 2.5GHz dual-core i5 Mini. (ETA: This dual core model is also now listed on the Aust. refurb page for $110 off new price.)

Does depend on the right refurb being available in your country, of course.
I know you didn't mean it this way but there's a chance someone will mis-read your post and think the next mini won't have ethernet. Obviously there's been no credible rumor and certainly nothing from Apple suggesting that will happen. Just the same, anything is possible.

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I know you didn't mean it this way but there's a chance someone will mis-read your post and think the next mini won't have ethernet. Obviously there's been no credible rumor and certainly nothing from Apple suggesting that will happen. Just the same, anything is possible.

Point taken. I should have written:

"...(probably at the expense of losing the Ethernet port)."

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I bought the 2012 2.6 Mini back in December, and had the HDMI/blank screen issues, and after researching the Intel forums decided that there was a good chance it was a silicon issue with the HD4000, so I returned it, and bought a 2011 2.5 Mini with Radeon GPU, and been very happy with it.

So, I would buy a 2011 with discrete GPU, I think those are the best Mini's for the last three years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.