Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommy0614

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
B&H Photo has a two (2) year Applecare warranty for iMac at $122.00. Is this about the best deal I can find?

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
the education store has it for 119.00 but you must be a student or have a student in your household.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
I just ordered with B&H and it was $61 and included parallel's 8 for free.

Yes, they offer it for half if you get it when purchasing an iMac. The OP's price quote is good if ordering after the fact for people in the USA. I think J&R has a similar deal.

postguru

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
AppleCare purchased through Education Store

Yeah but Apple pretty much never checks.

Apple will NEVER check education credentials if you order online, just give them the name of any college in your area if they ask for your school. This also applies to purchasing Macs or any other items. But the retail stores are required to ask for proof of enrollment, like your official school ID - so it is not possible to circumvent the system if you buy something in person at the Apple Store.

I used to work for an Apple developer, and I can guarantee that they will give ANYONE the Educational Discount if you purchase through the Apple Online store.

postguru

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
The $61 price requires computer purchase

Unless something soon sways me away from it, this is the route I'm taking. :cool:

As someone noted above, this price and the Parallels offer ONLY applies when purchased WITH a computer. AppleCare price is $122 if purchased alone.
From my experience, the best price for AppleCare is usually B&H or LA Computer and tends to bounce back and forth. B&H's price tends to be pretty stable but LA Computer's prices bounce around. I have found that most of the time B&H is cheaper but it is always worth checking LA Computer, and right now they have it priced at $111 (which is the cheapest I have ever seen it) but with shipping the price is $119.80. As long as you are not in New York, B&H's total price is $122 as they ship for free. With an effective difference of only $2.20, if ship time is a concern then those in the Eastern US should buy from B&H and those in the West should go with LA Computer.
As someone else pointed out, there are always deals to be found on eBay if you are comfortable buying on eBay. Most of the time you will be OK (although you may end up with a French or Spanish version, which is still OK as the important thing is the AppleCare enrollment number).

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Guess I should have been more clear, or quoted directly the prior posts… but yes, postguru, we are buying the iMac and all from B&H; my kids' inheritance is now being transformed into the form of glass and plastic and metal…

:p

Arrow29

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
Is AppleCare country specific? B&H unfortunately won't ship the product to Australia (it's much cheaper than trying to buy it locally), but wondering if I was able to purchase applecare for imac overseas, whether it would be valid for any repairs in Australia.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
Is AppleCare country specific? B&H unfortunately won't ship the product to Australia (it's much cheaper than trying to buy it locally), but wondering if I was able to purchase applecare for imac overseas, whether it would be valid for any repairs in Australia.

Call apple and ask. If it's cheaper for you to get in the U.S. then have someone buy it for you here and read you the code.

jcdamascenojr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012

I'm from brazil and can confirm that Apple' warranty is worldwide. Purchased my mac mini from b&h (with AC and parallels), sent to a US friend's address, and she shipped to me here in brazil. I then registered both at apple's site and now any local apple repair center will gladly fix my mini 'til 2016 ;D

So if you have any friends on US or any cheaper country just buy and send to his/her address and ask then to open it and send you the AppleCare code by email when they receive it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.