Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telebump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
My BTO is arriving this afternoon, and I bought 32GB of RAM from crucial and was hoping someone could answer a question for me. Is it fine to just install the RAM before I even start it up the first time, or is there a reason I should wait until I know everything works fine? Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My BTO is arriving this afternoon, and I bought 32GB of RAM from crucial and was hoping someone could answer a question for me. Is it fine to just install the RAM before I even start it up the first time, or is there a reason I should wait until I know everything works fine? Thanks in advance!
It wouldn't be a bad idea to start it first, just to make sure there are no problems before you modify anything.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
It wouldn't be a bad idea to start it first, just to make sure there are no problems before you modify anything.

I've done it both ways in the past, but the older and wiser me agrees. Boot that baby up once and make sure it works first. Also, run a Hardware Test (hold down D during startup) after putting in the RAM.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Is there anything I need to do to "install" the RAM or do I simply put it in?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there anything I need to do to "install" the RAM or do I simply put it in?
Just insert the RAM modules in the slots. Your iMac will come with instructions on how to add or replace RAM. It's extremely simple. Once you've installed it, just turn your Mac on and it will recognize and use the RAM. There is no "setup" process.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Just insert the RAM modules in the slots. Your iMac will come with instructions on how to add or replace RAM. It's extremely simple. Once you've installed it, just turn your Mac on and it will recognize and use the RAM. There is no "setup" process.

There are no such instructions in the iMac box unfortunately.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
So they no longer include any printed information with new Macs?

No, only a very small pictured booklet with the basic OS X features for complete noobies.

So I only insert the RAM in the free slots and start up? Nothing else?

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland

Did it myself this morning. Dead easy but as the others said its worth booting up with the original RAM just to check everything is running fine.

I then disconnected all connections and pushed the catch in the area where the Power Plug fits. This is quite stiff and I used small pencil to push it till it clipped free and the door on the RAM opens. You need to push two levers to the side (clearly marked) and then the RAM tray folds down a touch. As A precaution I used an earthing strap and then pulled out the two original 4GB modules. Then just locate the guides and push in the four 8GB modules and close it back up and start the iMac up again and hey presto you now have 32GB, I hope :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, only a very small pictured booklet with the basic OS X features for complete noobies.

So I only insert the RAM in the free slots and start up? Nothing else?
Yes, unless you want to replace the installed RAM with higher-capacity modules. If not, just use the free slots.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Okay so I did that. Really simple. The 2x8GB RAM modules from crucial run perfectly. Now I have 24GB @1600 Mhz. More than enough for me. Thanks for the help. I didn't expect it to be that simple!
And by the way: WOW does this machine boot fast! Less than 10 seconds and my startup apps (Mail, Chrome, better touch, Steam) run in less than 3 more seconds :D
Amazing, I love Fusion drive!

Divided

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Okay so I did that. Really simple. The 2x8GB RAM modules from crucial run perfectly. Now I have 24GB @1600 Mhz. More than enough for me. Thanks for the help. I didn't expect it to be that simple!
And by the way: WOW does this machine boot fast! Less than 10 seconds and my startup apps (Mail, Chrome, better touch, Steam) run in less than 3 more seconds :D
Amazing, I love Fusion drive!

Do you guys recommend mixing the Crucial sticks with the Apple sticks? Any potential issues with that set up?

classicaliberal

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
I added 2additional 8GB sticks to mine last night. 24GB total. I was blown away with how HARD it was to push the button releasing the RAM cover. There was NO WAY you could do that with your bare hands. I had to grab a key and push as hard as I could to get it to release. It's not a huge deal since you don't change out RAM very often... but I have to admit, it sure didn't seem 'Apple Designed' to me.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Crucials RAM works perfectly fine. Stick with them.

I added 2additional 8GB sticks to mine last night. 24GB total. I was blown away with how HARD it was to push the button releasing the RAM cover. There was NO WAY you could do that with your bare hands. I had to grab a key and push as hard as I could to get it to release. It's not a huge deal since you don't change out RAM very often... but I have to admit, it sure didn't seem 'Apple Designed' to me.

I used a little coin and with that it was no problem whatsoever to lift the lid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.