Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to change their apple ID to their new @icloud.com email addresses as yet?

Currently I am stuck with xxx@hotmail.co.uk as my Apple ID with my primary email address set as xxx@icloud.com, with the option from the apple iD to make my primary email address and my apple ID one and the same but still no luck in changing it yet.

Thanks

James

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Sorry, you can't change it to an @me or an @icloud email address. For some strange reason Apple just doesn't allow it. You can however add your iCloud.com email to your Apple ID profile and use it to get all of your Apple emails (iTunes, Apple Store).

The Englishman

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Apple id exists..or does it?

My original Apple id, which I use for iTunes, uses a gmail.com email address.

When I then set up my iCloud.com I created an @icloud.com account.

When I log in to iCloud.com the Apple Id shown once signed (which you see when you click on your name in the top right corner of the icloud screen) in ends in @icloud.com - even if I sign in with my gmail email address in the Apple Id sign-in field.

When I go to 'Manage my Apple Id", my Apple Id is shown ending in the @gmail.com ... and it shows that even if I log in using the @icloud.com Apple id.

In other words, iCloud.com and Manage My Apple Id services from Apple are showing different Apple Ids.

This can't be what was intended by Apple. Can it?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
My original Apple id, which I use for iTunes, uses a gmail.com email address.

When I then set up my iCloud.com I created an @icloud.com account.

When I log in to iCloud.com the Apple Id shown once signed (which you see when you click on your name in the top right corner of the icloud screen) in ends in @icloud.com - even if I sign in with my gmail email address in the Apple Id sign-in field.

When I go to 'Manage my Apple Id", my Apple Id is shown ending in the @gmail.com ... and it shows that even if I log in using the @icloud.com Apple id.

In other words, iCloud.com and Manage My Apple Id services from Apple are showing different Apple Ids.

This can't be what was intended by Apple. Can it?

The reason it shows your @iCloud.com address when signing in to iCloud.com, is because that's the account used for your email address. Yes, that is the way it was intended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.